Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only recently gotten interested in guns and am thankful for all of the good help that I've learned from in this group. It's great to glean from the wisdom that is shared by many of the good folks who hang out here...

My wife and I both really enjoy our SP-101 in 357. I shoot it a lot more than she does, but she likes to fire it when using .38 Special. I was just now sitting here wondering -- are there other "smallish" revolvers similar to the SP-101 out there? (I don't mean just Rugers.) I may be interested in getting another revolver since we both like having this one so much...

Amistad

·
Registered
404 Posts
The S&W 642 would make a fine second snubby. It is about 10oz lighter than the SP101 and can handle 38 special +p ammo. The 642 is a great revolver for pocket carry since it it is hammerless. Cost for a 642 is around $400.

Another option is to look for a SP101 in .22 as an understudy for the .357. This will let you shoot a lot for cheap with a gun that other than the barrel is basically identical to your current SP101.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Taurus has quite a few in their stable mostly around their mdl 85 series/size which is their answer to ruger sp101 and the s&w "J" series. http://www.taurususa.com/products/gunselector-results.cfm?series=CC2

The s&w "J" series is extensive and worth a look as well. http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=11101&storeId=10001&categoryId=15704&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=15703&top_category=15703

Any of the older colt detective specials, agents, or cobras would fit the bill and all roughly the size of an sp in a six shot format. out of production

What i really like however, is the older ruger security six and speed six series. Not much bigger than the sp series and near the same weight range in a six shot revolver. Available in a 2 3/4" barrel configuration. Out of production but lots of purtty pics on this board from happy owners---check out Eddie's. http://www.rugerforum.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3675

A 3" gp100 would be on the large size but an absolute *****cat to shoot with all its weight.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
pardon, did not know that paticular cat was a dirty word.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Since both you and your wife enjoy shooting the SP 101,why not get a second one? You both would have two revolvers that fit the same,feel the same,operates the same,disassembles the same,would use the same speedloaders and holsters,same sight picture,etc.In a high stress situation,having identical revolvers makes it easier to operate and reload.Remember,one is none and two is one.

·
Registered
237 Posts
On a lighter note,everyone knows that every SP 101 deserves a twin brother or sister as the case may be.After that, then you can go ahead and adopt something else! LOL

·
Registered
49 Posts
Amistad, let me throw in my preference for the S&W J frames. First, I'm not in love with the lock on the new models, however there was a time when common sense prevailed and Smith produced a lot of fine guns. My wife and I both carry. I use a S&W M60 and she has the M36. They are both identical with the exception of the M60 being stainless and the M36 is blued. They are round butts, with hammers and have a 1 7/8" barrel. They are easily carried in a "inside the pocket" holster, of wich Bianchi now makes one that can't be beat. By the way, both of mine are "sans lock" and if you look around, they are not that difficult to find. Also, they are in .38 spl.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to one and all for the responses. It's great to have these ideas to ponder on and perhaps pursue.

My wife and I swung by a place a couple of days ago where we looked at a .357 S&W "Airweight" model. That thing is REALLY light! So I'll have to think a bit about my next gun purchase... Thanks again!

Amistad

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
quote:Originally posted by fivefold

I don't know if anyone brought this up yet, but check out the link for info on the SP101 in 327 mag...<snip>
Yes, I read some stuff about the new .327 caliber. My initial thought on that is that the ammo will be expensive and not easy to find. But time will tell.

Amistad

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
+1 on Gutpile Charlie's post-she'll enjoy shooting the steel-frame S&W LOTS more than the airweight or Ti models...and it's really not that heavy...carried one or another most of my life...many versions and options but the weight of SS or steel make it easy to shoot well..

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've just read through this thread again. I'll be doggone if I haven't come back around to thinking of getting another SP-101. But I am not in a big hurry and will see what the new .327 version looks like when it is generally available... Thanks again for the replies from one and all!

Amistad
'lovin' the smell of burnt power in Texas!'

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Everybody has an opinion so here goes mine. I suggest the smaller barrel sized GP-100 or maybe even (gasp) a Charter 44spl. Fun to shoot and some good protection out of that puppy. I also agree the Security Six with adj. sights makes a good addition to the collection.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts