Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been offered a 77/44 for a pretty decent price by a member of another forum I frequent. It is a wood stocked version. According to the Ruger site the Walnut stocked version weighs 5.2lbs and the plastic stock also weighs 5.2lbs. Is this correct? It just seems unlikely to me that they would both weigh the same. Also they say that it has a 90 degree bolt throw. Does this interfere with scope mounting? Lastly, do the rotary mags work pretty well or are they prone to jamming.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I cant comment on the timber vs plastic stock weight question as all mine have the plastic stock. I have noticed lately on rifles that there is what I would call old school heavy timber stocks and then there is timber stocks that resemble to me the density of balsa wood on a good day. Take this with a grain of salt this is just my experience with the 77/44 I can highly recommend the rifle but it has some quirks .Mine get used in the field hunting in conditions that would make the engineers at Ruger cry and are usually covered in mud, leaf gunk and rain. They are an extremely tough and resilient rifle.... .The bolt handle can be a pain in the neck when you start your search for a scope you can get around it with taller scope mounts etc but you may loose good cheek weld to the stock in the process and there is a few scopes that will fit with not much trouble but yes it can cause problems.You may find that scopes you thought will be perfect for the rifle simply wont fit as the mounting points for the rings are in the wrong spots in relation to the scope tube and your eye relief etc. The magazines are a source of frustration they will from brand new either work really well or they wont. Some will work full of dirt and leaf gunk and others will not work straight out of the packet new.. The spring can be adjusted but sometimes its not spring tension that is the problem.The alloy feed lips can burr and grab the end of the cartridge flipping it skyward ,the plastic impeller that holds and guides the rounds can wear as well.They may feed 3 rounds perfectly and the 4th will jam. Even the owners manual states words to the effect of ..If magazines start to fail discard and replace with new ones. I have a small tub full of discarded ones and buy 1 or 2 new ones each season just to be sure/safe, is nothing more annoying than having to smack the side of the rifle to make the rounds pop up when your out hunting.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've had a 77/44 with a walnut stock for a few years. Have a Redfield 2-7 scope on it and the rotary mags work fine.......unless you try Elmer's bullet which is too long!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I had mentioned on another forum that I was intending to buy a RAR in 350 Legend and was offered the 77/44 as an alternative. The intended use is as my new deer rifle and also as a plinker (with cast bullets and reduced charge). The only advantage I can see for the 77/44 is that reduced loads are already established where as with the Legend I would be on my own working out reduced loads. I'm not anxious though to deal with magazine induced misfeeds. Still, I've kind of always wanted a 77/44 so I suppose if the right one came along before buying a Legend I might be enticed to buy it.

·
Registered
744 Posts
If you get lucky the 77/44 will be a great 2-2.5” gun at 100 yards with a surprisingly sharp recoil for a pistol carbine. If you are unlucky, you will be messing with bolt shims, trigger work, and bullet set outs. The rotary magazines can be finicky too. All that said, I still have a stainless 357/77 it really only likes hot loaded 158 grain and up and it will not feed 38 FMJs worth a poop.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Even though the 77/44 has always been a rifle I was interested in it does sound like the American Rifle in 350 Legend is probably the better way to go. At least for me anyway. The 77/44 was offered to me a good price and it attracted my attention but I suppose that's how impulse buys work.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Even though the 77/44 has always been a rifle I was interested in it does sound like the American Rifle in 350 Legend is probably the better way to go. At least for me anyway. The 77/44 was offered to me a good price and it attracted my attention but I suppose that's how impulse buys work.
Do you have to have a straight walled cartridge for your area?

The reason I am asking is, the RAR Predator in 308 may be more what you are looking for if you are looking for a short, handy, powerful gun. 308 shoots a lot flatter and since you reload you can always make cast game getter loads or Atomic Subsonics.

If you need a straight walled cartridge, or you are just wanting something new to play with and use I get that totally.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
No straight wall restrictions here and very few shots over 100 yards. I've been doing my deer hunting with an old 30/30 for years but I'm at that age where the sights don't look as crisp as they used to. I don't want to stick a scope on it so a new rifle is in order. A big attraction for me to the 350 Legend is how cheaply I can reload it. Practice/target ammo for well under $20 per hundred can't be beat by too many rifles. I'm hoping to be able to work up some subsonic plinking loads for it also.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I will be looking forward to seeing your results. I am interested to see what you do with the 350.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts