Ruger Forum banner

101 - 120 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
If this has already been mentioned, I apologize. I load for a lot of different calibers, especially in handguns. I use a number of different powders; W231, Unique, Power Pistol, H110, AA#7, etc. I have a rule. I always leave the powder container for the powder I'm using on the bench instead of putting it back in the powder storage box. When I finish loading the last round, I ALWAYS dump the unused powder in the powder measure back into it's original container. Don't kid yourself. You can't rely on your memory or the appearance of the powder. If you wait a few days and dump the powder in to the wrong container, the results later can be catastrophic.
With you on that, pretty much exactly. Powder does not sit in the hopper and the can stays on the bench. One other thing I do is when I “open” a can of powder, I have a pack of those colored circles for file folders and I put a dot on the cap and write the date that I broke the seal on it. Just gives me an idea and marks how long a powder has been open plus if I have multiple cans of a powder I know which is open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
My little loading station, nothing fancy. I have a C press dedicated just to deprime before the brass is cleaned. All loading is done on a LEE single stage, it's loaded thousands and thousands of rounds in 12 years. 9mm..38 special..357 magnum..45acp..45 LC..223..30-30..7x57..7mm-08..308..30-06

·
Registered
21 Posts
I’m not a reloader but interested in it. What’s the best book or site to get started? Was told to start with a single stage press, what would be the best press to start out with? If/when I do get started, I have a bunch of .357 brass, my buddy has a lot of .45acp & 9mm brass; that would be my primary interest in reloading. I’ve heard on the .45acp that there are small & large primer cases & the large primer cases are ideal for reloading. Can the small primer .45acp cases be reloaded or is it a waste of time?

I have loaded both small and large on the .45 and the difference was marginal at best. Load it correctly and it will go bang as the primers are going to come from CCI anyway!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Great idea. Just starting to learn about reloading. Will be getting a used single stage rockchucker press from a friend. I had been thinking about it for a while, but realized I would have to commit to it as soon as I bought a Super Black Hawk last week. Knowing what 44 special and magnum ammo cost, I know it is just a gateway into 357/38, and then the rifle calibers too. I will initially just concentrate on 44 special until I build proficiency. Lucky to have a neighbor that is already into it.
Be careful on the brass you use. Build your load around the brass, as .44 mag brass is different than .44 special. Best thing anyone can do is get a good reloading "bible", Lyman makes a good one, and learn every dimension and evey bit of information you can find on that caliber. Takes time but you would not believe all the different ways you can mess up and also how you will be able to figure at a glance what you can and can't do with that caliber.

Good luck and have fun! You can build better amunition than you can buy. If you want, you can build hunting or target ammunition that is a goods as the best you can buy and save money as well.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Just finished depriming and cleaning primer pockets on 308 brass. I am using a die that also necksizes as it deprimes. A little tedious with Lee Hand Press... Looking for a cheap single stage. Don't mind if it needs TLC to get it up and running. Maybe I should post in wanted to buy or trade.. for a 308 depriming die and a single stage. I should be going to the range this coming Saturday with low pressure loads it will be fun!

·
Registered
199 Posts
So last night I went through a mental breakdown on a few sites trying to get what I need from one supplier. I think I did the best I could. Mostly everything was out of stock or on backorder... so I know I got ripped off from Reloading Unlimited on my first order of powder and primers. I think I did ok with the bullets, but I have a question about the whole bullet situation.

In the manual I have, the Lyman 50th it doesn't have a whole lot of recipes. It said to never deviate from the recipes, which caused me to try and find the exact bullet type. I found a recipe for 10mm using a 180gr JHP. I tried to find a powder that was in the list of as many calibers that I might consider reloading and Power Pistol seemed to be in many of them for 9mm, 10mm and 45. I tried to find the N110 for 44 and 460 S&W, but it looked like I had to buy over $260 or more for the 8lb. So I just got 2x 1lb bottles of IMR-4227. Each bottle was about $7 more than the other sites, but if I had to make a sacrifice cause I didn't want to get 4 orders with 4 hazmat fees. I went to Montana bullets to get 1000 jhp for $150 with free shipping, I'm hoping that was a reasonable price. The below order had a ridiculous shipping/hazmat fee, but I could not get this stuff combined on other sites. So I will take the hit to get started. I read up on some threads about powders and I realize I need to get another book that has more recipes. I liked what I read about the BE-86 from a previous thread... relating to 9mm, but that powder is not mentioned at all in what I have looked at so far and I could not find it in stock anywhere cause I would have added some to the order. 9mm is probably the last ammo I need to reload, but figure I will give it a try just to give it a try.

Alliant Power Pistol - 4 lb 2$229.98
Winchester Large Rifle Magnum Primers | 1,000 Count2$73.98
CCI Large Pistol Primers No. 300 | 1,000 Count2$73.98
IMR 4227 - 1 lb2$67.98
CCI Small Pistol Primers No. 500 | 1,000 Count1$36.99

I could not find the right size/type of bullets to go with any of the recipes for 460. How important is it that if the recipe states JHP, that it cannot be replaced with a regular flat nose or rounded flat nose?

Keep in mind I am still gathering equipment, waiting on 20 or so packages and I have not reloaded a single round yet. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Am I wrong in thinking that if a recipe has x amount of weight on the projectile, any other projectile of the same weight and the same jacket type would create similar pressures? By jacket I mean it is jacketed or bare lead. I would try to have the same crimp strength as the recipe too since that changes pressure.
Your 460sw is a 45 caliber. That's what you need to know when you order online. Titan Reloading has a few types that are still in stock. The weights are pretty light it seems, considering 460 shoots bullets from 200 to 400 grains and most of the ones available are under 250 grain.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Am I wrong in thinking that if a recipe has x amount of weight on the projectile, any other projectile of the same weight and the same jacket type would create similar pressures? By jacket I mean it is jacketed or bare lead. I would try to have the same crimp strength as the recipe too since that changes pressure.
Your 460sw is a 45 caliber. That's what you need to know when you order online. Titan Reloading has a few types that are still in stock. The weights are pretty light it seems, considering 460 shoots bullets from 200 to 400 grains and most of the ones available are under 250 grain.
Not really. That is why the “best” data is from the bullet manufacturers data. While a bullet might have the same weight, there are so many other variables. Just to name a few, jacket thickness, core hardness, bullet profile will have different bearing surface, even when comparing same basic profiles (aka a spitzer isn’t the same spitzer). So just because it is the same generic profile of the same weight and construction, one can’t assume the data is interchangeable.

·
Registered
38 Posts
American, hopefully your orders will ship in the near future. I've been enjoying the 230 gr. Montana FMJ bullets for 45ACP. Not sure what my cost was.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Wow some high prices American. I just bought more the other day at the LGS. 8LB Green dot 127.00 4 lb power pistol 67.00. 5000 cci large and small pistol primers were 150.00 ea. I was after sport pistol they were sold out. He suggested the powder pistol.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Wow some high prices American. I just bought more the other day at the LGS. 8LB Green dot 127.00 4 lb power pistol 67.00. 5000 cci large and small pistol primers were 150.00 ea. I was after sport pistol they were sold out. He suggested the powder pistol.
Yeah, I'm taking a hit. I did not see a big difference in prices across the sites for the same exact powders I got, but some had it a little cheaper. I have to jump into this and stop waiting for all the stars to align. I know very little about powders. I always thought I would learn everything about all of them and then make the right order. Then after looking at all the listings that are "out of stock/no backorder", I thought I should just look at which are compatible with as many loads as I am interested in, with the one manual that I have, and make a command decision. lol And when I am ready to make a second order, I will know more by then... and hopefully there will be more supply available. Four months of what I normally spend on ammo should pay for total I am spending on everything. I don't actually need any ammo. I have an obscene amount of every caliber I shoot, but I figure I will have enough reloading supplies to figure this all out and be somewhat competent.

Do you have a recommendation on a manual that has the most loads with the newest powders?... mainly FMJ FN or RFN. I don't really shoot the lead rounds. The loads for the 460 in the Lyman book had several for the Barnes XPB, but I could not find any projectiles in any of the weights online. I'm glad I kept most of my 460 brass... nothing is cheap about reloading for the 460.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have the newest lee and lyman's 50th and the 4th cast. It's the newest cast one. And i have speers and hornaldys newest. Speer is the only one that has sport pistol listed. The lee has the most loads listed across the board. The lyman is pretty good too. Im fortunate to have a LGS who is cheaper than online for most reloading supplies. I do check the online prices. And they have gone up since this newest run on ammo and supplies.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Do you have a recommendation on a manual that has the most loads with the newest powders?... mainly FMJ FN or RFN. I don't really shoot the lead rounds. The loads for the 460 in the Lyman book had several for the Barnes XPB, but I could not find any projectiles in any of the weights online. I'm glad I kept most of my 460 brass... nothing is cheap about reloading for the 460.
American, I didn't look at this to hard other than it shows 64 different loads, maybe there's something there that will work for ya. I copied the 460 page but it won't paste.............you'll figure it out.

Set your sights on pistol reloading data | Hodgdon Reloading

·
Registered
199 Posts
American, I didn't look at this to hard other than it shows 64 different loads, maybe there's something there that will work for ya. I copied the 460 page but it won't paste.............you'll figure it out.

Set your sights on pistol reloading data | Hodgdon Reloading
I didn't even know they had a site like this. I use the Burris and Nikon sites for my scope data, but didn't even think about a site like this. Thanks for that info.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
I didn't even know they had a site like this. I use the Burris and Nikon sites for my scope data, but didn't even think about a site like this. Thanks for that info.

I hope it helps, I've used it for years mostly for rifle though.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Looking for a cheap single stage. Don't mind if it needs TLC to get it up and running. Maybe I should post in wanted to buy or trade.. for a 308 depriming die and a single stage.
frenchy, have you ever considered looking on Ebay for a used press or your local reloading supply shop? Here's one example on Ebay....it's a Pacific, (now Hornady) "O" press, ("O"'s are generally the strongest) at what I consider a decent price. My Pacific is probably 50 years old and it's still tight s a drum. You can also find good deals on used RCBS presses too. Not that it can't be done , but it's pretty hard screw-up a press. Just a thought.

101 - 120 of 128 Posts