Ruger Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Forum:

I met a gentleman today who says that his dedicated deer rifle is an SKS. I know the round is more than capable, my question is the rifle accurate enough to make a 200 yard plus shoot?

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Gonna have to assume you are going to work up a suitable hunting handload for it.
Cheap Mil-Surp ammo would be awful to hunt with.
Herters remanufactures commie steel case ammo and puts a 154 grain, lead, soft nose bullet back in it. Shoots better than American brass case ammunition for hunting.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sure, but it depends on the quality of the SKS and the design of the ammo used. An SKS, depending on when and where it was made can be very accurate.

There are a couple or three factory loads I would hunt medium game (deer up to 300 pounds) out to 250 yards with my scoped Mini-30. One of those rounds is Corbon 150gr with a verified velocity of 2300 fps from a 20" barrel. Corbon uses the Sierra Pro-Hunter .311 Bullet (#2300). It's not bad, but a bit hard for 7.62x39 velocities. It's designed for British 303 and 7.7mm Japanese loads.

I load my own to the same velocity using both Speer Hot-Cor 150gr in .308 (#2023) and Speer Hot-Cor 150gr in .311 (#2217). I'm sure a competent shooter with a decent SKS could reach out to 200+ yards.

·
Registered
747 Posts
The SKS is a great rifle, simple and reliable. However, I live in Pennsylvania where semi-auto rifles can't be used for deer hunting. Non-expanding bullets are also not legal. As mentioned above though, the 7.62x39 is perfectly usable as a deer round within 200 yards.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I don’t have an SKS, but did have an AR in 7.62x39. I killed several hogs with it and couple coyotes using Silver Bear softpoint ammo. I still have a couple AKs and use the same ammo in them. Hog killers for sure and would work for deer anywhere a 30-30 would.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts