Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About an hour before sunset today I went to my club to shoot a couple of 20 round mags in my M1A. I was shooting some old reloads and noticed some of the primers were loose in the primer pockets.
I pulled all of the rounds out of the magazines and inspected them. I segregated the suspect rounds and shoot the rest, finishing up Just as it was getting dark.
I went home and ate dinner then cleaned my rifle and prepped the cases I had fired.
I then started pulling the bullets out of the suspect cases. I had about 12 to 15 cases I was pulling bullets with my kinetic bullet puller. I got down to the last two. I had put a trimmed 22 patch on top of the base of the case to prevent powder from flying everywhere.
I have pulled over a 1,000 bullets and never had a problem.
I banged the bullet puller on a metal surface to get the bullet out of the case. On the second strike the bullet came out as did all the powder. A split second later, the primer ignited.
A few minutes later when my ears quit ringing, I looked down at the bullet puller and notice a large hole in the 22 patch and the primer was gone. The powder in the bottom of the puller did not ignite fortunately.
I figured the primer was so loose in the pocket that the force of banging the puller caused the primer to leave theme case with enough force that it ignited.
I removed the case, bullet and powwder from the case.
I then took the last case and put it in the puller without the patch. I figured it was okay to strike the polled then remove the bullet and powder.
Well on the second strike the bullet and powder left the case. Less than a second later the primer went off. I was using Winchester primers (WLR) as I have been doing for many years. Again, after my ears stopped ringing a few minutes later, I examined the case in the puller and found the primer was gone and I have not recovered it at this time.
Other than the missing primer, everything else was still their.
I suspect the cause of the primer detination was the force of the hammer strike was enough to push the anvil into the powder causing the detination. Without examining the spent primer,
Without findin

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Glad your OK. Hopefully you had eye protection on when this happened.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Well, that's a first ??

Would never guessed a primer had enough mass to compress the anvil even with a really hard swing even in a loose pocket.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Never had that happened to me but I may start wearing hearing protection along with eye protection.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
First actual occurrence of this I've heard. Always heard rumors, but never a documented case. Glad you're OK.

I have always thought there was something inherently wrong with inertia pullers, and always cringe when I have to use one. This does not ease my concern at all.

Would have been extra exciting had the powder lit off, though since it was essentially uncompressed it would likely only have contributed to the smoke . . . and perhaps ruined your puller.

:)

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,041 Posts
Years ago I was pulling bullets from 357 Mag ammo with my RCBS kinetic tool. The aluminum collet with the "O" ring was giving me fits so I got the bright idea of using a #6 RCBS shell holder. Very successful at first but about 10 rounds into the project .... BANG. Scared the hell out of me. I logged it out as a fluke and continued to pull bullets. Before I finished the box of 50, I had another BANG which scared the rest of the hell out of me. Now being "hell-less" I realized it was more than just a fluke. I still don't know why it happened .... but it did. Over the years, I have pulled hundreds of bullets using the same RCBS tool and never had a problem ... but I was using the aluminum collet ... not a shell holder.

I called RCBS and they told me NOT to use a shell holder because they had other reports of primer detonations. I found out they sold replacement collets .... in fact they had three different sizes so I ordered all three. Since then I have pulled hundreds more bullets and never had a problem. I also found if you use the proper sized aluminum collet, the tool doesn't give you fits.

BTW, I found a 1/2" square of doe skin pushed inside the hammer head will cushion the blow where bullets come out with virtually no damage.

·
Banned
1,755 Posts
No more kinetic or inertia bullet primers for me - ever.

The thought of banging on some hard surface with a tool containing a round having a live primer scares me - aluminum shell holder thingy or not.

The warning on the primer boxes usually advises against subjecting primers to shock, heat, or static electricity. I have seen primers detonate upon attempts to punch out a stuck round from a rifle barrel by pounding on a cleaning rod stuck into the muzzle - catastrophic!

Beating on a hard surface with a plastic inertia type hammer type bullet puller when the cartridge contains a light bullet, like 50 grain .224 in a .22-250 or a securely well crimped 125 grain .357 will quickly reduce the plastic hammer puller to rubble provided a detonation of the sensitive lead styphanate does not occur. Depending on a source either weak or high explosive having a 15 thousand fps or so blast wave.

I have a collet type Hornady bullet puller that works well for every thing from .204's to .44's. In fact, not being a competitive bench rest shooter, I cannot see any accuracy differences between carefully pulled bullets and pristine ones out of the box.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I use the RCBS collet type puller and have for years. Last year I bought one of the kinetic pullers for some issue which I don't remember(age related), at any rate I wasn't able to get the bullet out. I have tried this tool a few times since with negative results, now reading this thread I will probably store it with my RCBS APS tool.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts