Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my P345D for a few months now (this is my first handgun, but I've been shooting and an enthusiast since I was a kid), and I've noticed a few things on it that I don't think it should be doing.

1) The recoil spring guide goes to the left (when looking straight down at it from the top) when the slide is pulled back. I can push it to the right so it becomes parallel to everything else, but when I let it go, it goes back. When I strip it, and take the slide off (while the barrel and guide are both attached, the guide looks like its bent or something) Please see the images below.

2) My 345 jams a lot. Especially when trying to chamber a round. I heard an extremely loud noise in the backyard last night, and it took me 3 attempts to chamber a round (I keep the pistol with no round in the chamber, and when I tried to load them, the rounds would get caught against the firing pin block and the barrel) so I could go out there and see what it was. It doesn't jam when the slide lock is engaged and I press it down, however. I guess it just jams because the slide is moving too slowly? Also, the gentleman at the range said it jams because the gun is new. Anybody have any comments on this as well?

3) The slide rattles a bit. It rattles a lot when there is no magazine in, and it rattles less/barely rattles at all (It doesn't make any noise, but you can wiggle it around a little) when there is a magazine in and a round in the chamber. Is this normal?

4) Are you supposed to be able to see light through the pistol when looking at it from the side?

I'm not trying to be a gun hypochondriac or anything, but since this is my first handgun, I don't really know what to expect.

Thanks guys!

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,423 Posts
mercutio545, Let's start with #1 The spring guide is made of stainless steel so it is very unlikely that it is bent. I would rather think the coils of the recoil spring are pulling it off to the side. Field strip the gun and you can tell for sure if the guide rod is bent.

#2 P-345s have been plagued with feeding problems. This can usually be isolated to a few possibilities. First is the ammo. To insure positive feeding, avoid hollow points, SWCs, and reloads. Go with good old 230 gr FMJ factory ammo. Brands can make a big difference too. Avoid AMERC, Wolf, and PMC. Their quality control sucks. Go with American made Winchesters, Federals, or Remington ammo. Though most P-345s will feed just about anything, it's always best to go with ammo that is known to work the best.

Next issue is the breach face and extractor. When the slide starts home, it strips a round from the magazine. The case head must slide up against the breach face and snuggle in behind the extractor. If there are rough spots, galls or high spots in the breach face, it will create too much friction for the case head and cause a jam. If the extractor has a burr or doesn't move freely against spring tension, it too will cause the case to falter when trying to slide into position. Inspect the feed ramp too. Sometimes there is a bad spot that catches the bullet nose and prevents feeding.

#3 The rattle is normal. When a round is chambered it puts pressure on the barrel and keeps it from moving at the breach. Not a problem.

#4 Yes, there are gaps between the frame and slide where light could come through. Not a problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Iowegan, thank you for the info. I'm using Winchester personal defense hollow points, so that may be why it's giving me problems. I will definitely invest in a box of FMJ next time I run to the store. I'd rather use a FMJ round and have it not jam on me in an emergency, than use something that has a higher probability of copping out on me when I need it the most.

This hasn't put me off of Rugers at all though, I love my 345. It shoots well and it's a great carry pistol. Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
One other thing to check is the recoil spring... One end is larger than the other. Not by much, mind you, but the spring can be installed on "backwards" and I have heard that this will cause the same symptoms that you are having.

The way to determine which end is which, is to roll the spring on a flat table. The bigger end will be on the outside of the arc as it rolls. I'm not sure, but I think the big end goes toward the muzzel...

After correctly identifying orientation, a lot of guys mark one end with fingernail polish so they can prevent "backwards" installation in the future.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
quote:Originally posted by RNettles

The way to determine which end is which, is to roll the spring on a flat table. The bigger end will be on the outside of the arc as it rolls. I'm not sure, but I think the big end goes toward the muzzle...
You are correct sir.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Welcome aboard. Hope you like it here. Make yourself at home and when you get a chance go to the welcome member section in the lobby and introduce yourself. The way I tell which end of the recoil spring is larger is to put it over the tapered end of a ball point pen, and the large end will go up farther that the small end. Rick is right about the large end going toward the Muzzel of the gun.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Its normal to be able to see threw the gun where the piece that holds the slide is. I own a P345 and don't hear any rattling with or without the clip (not a peep). And the way the rod leans 2 the side is not natural. If not rotating the spring dosnt fix it, I would send it back. Ruger has great customer service and will pay for everything. Your life depends on it!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I finally got around to reversing the spring, and it still leans to the side. I put the spring guide against a ruler, and it actually did look a little bent. Can I just send back the guide and not have to worry about going through an FFL, or do I have to send back the entire pistol?

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Check your states laws...

In Arkansas, if you are sending the gun to Ruger for service, you don't need to go through FFL. You only have to use FFL's when ownership of a handgun is changing from out of the state, into this state...

I sent my Ruger Blackhawk to Ruger for service through FedEx, and Ruger sent it back via UPS... You can't send firearms through the US Post Office...

Now, if Ruger sends you a new P345, the serial number changes, it has to come to you through a FFL...

You may be able to call Ruger Customer Service, tell them what the problem is in detail, and they may send you a new guide rod free...

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Give them a call, they will just send ya a new one out for free! I have had one replaced free of charge with just a simple phone call!

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Please let us know what the out come is... I'm interested in what Ruger does... They may send a guide-rod assembly and slide stop... That's what I'd send if I were them...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also would go to the range and make note of the "jamming". Mark the mag that jams and I would replace it. My 345 rattles as well, so your not the only one. Good luck! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts