Ruger Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
First, do not use red loctite for the flash hider. Purple is enough to keep it from vibrating loose and if you ever need to remove it, removal will be much easier. Red loctite will probably require heat for removal.

Second, send it back to Ruger. It has a lifetime warranty. Ruger will make it right.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
KaTo brings up a good point.
Even the excellent and reliable Ruger mags have a lot of play in them after insertion.
All of mine wiggle both ways a bit after being locked in.
That in itself does not cause malfunctions, but pressure on the mags, forward or backward could.
(Also don't set the barrel itself on a rest, or even the gas block, use the fore end, but you probably already know that).

My KCI ( excellent Korean made mags for the Mini-30) mags lock in solidly, with no wiggle.
But when I got them, they would not quite lock in in all my Minis.
I had to take a small file, and do a few file strokes on the bottom of the tab in back, until they all locked in all three Mini's. Then I took a couple more file strokes off just for reliability assurance.

I wish all mags would come with the back tab slightly oversize like the KCI's, but this would mean custom fitting them to your gun. I suspect many would not want to mess with that, and would rather put up with sloppy fit.
It took me all of 30 seconds with each mag, and a few very light file strokes.
But now, if I were to inadvertently have the mag resting on a tabletop or the ground, it's not going to cause a feeding problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
When your shooting off bags pay attention that the mag doesnt touch the bag or table. I had a similar issue where if the mag was touching a bag it rocked up a bit and locked the bolt open mid mag, reproducible if you hold the mag back and shoot a round or two. If the mag was hanging free 100% a-ok with anything. Just a thought.
The first time it happened I was shooting off a bag. I thought the magazine maybe hit the table or bag, but the last two times it happened I was shooting offhand.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Update: I'm sending the rifle back to Ruger to have it looked at. The customer service person I talked to said she hasn't heard of this issue happening with the Mini-14.

I'll update the thread when it comes back.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Update: I sent the Mini 14 back to Ruger last month, and got it back less than a week after. According to the work order, the following repairs were made:

-Replaced Mag Latch and Bolt Lock.

-Repaired Slide.

I haven't taken it out again yet, but I'll run a few hundred round when I do and update the thread again.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Update: I was able to get out to the range again today with 120 rounds and my 4 Ruger magazines. After firing a few rounds out of my second magazine, the bolt hold open engaged and locked the bolt back again. This was a different magazine than last time, so I don't think it's a magazine issue.

This is the third time this has happened. Something is engaging the bolt hold open tab while firing. I haven't found a single case of this problem in any forum. I am at a total loss as to why. My only guess is that the spent brass may be boucing off the wall or ceiling of the indoor range I shoot at, and back into the receiver of the gun, perhaps hitting the bolt hold open button.

I also had one failure to extract today, but I hadn't cleaned the rifle in 300 or so rounds. I have sinced cleaned it. I had no other problems today.

I don't think that is why the bolt is locking back because the rifle was clean the first time it happened.

I have no idea what to do now. I might bring it to the gunsmith.
My thought is it is a weak spring in the lock back mechanism that allows the bolt lock to move up or down during firing.

kwg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Update: Sorry for the delay. After getting the Mini 14 back from Ruger, I've taken the rifle out 2 times and shot a total of 240 rounds. The bolt lock issue seems to be resolved.

I did have another failure to eject today after shooting a little under 100 rounds. I cleared it by pulling the bolt back, which ejected the spent casing. I released the bolt, which chambered the next round without issue. The malfunction was cleared in 2 seconds. I had no other problems.

This is my 3rd failure to eject since owning the rifle. It has happened with 3 different ammos: Hornady Spire Point, Federal Fusion and Federal American Eagle. I've fired probably around 700 rounds total. Should this be a concern?

·
Exalted One
1,691 Posts
steinlok, most would probably say "no problem". It all depends on your intended uses. As a range gun, probably no problem. I always view most all of my firearms with a minimum of dual purpose: fun shooting and personal/home/farm defense.

Shoot it a bunch, find what works best and is most reliable. My 181 - I've had since 1980 - has never had a single failure or any kind. Predominantly M193 NATO and PMC Bronze .223.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Update: I was able to get out to the range again today with 120 rounds and my 4 Ruger magazines. After firing a few rounds out of my second magazine, the bolt hold open engaged and locked the bolt back again. This was a different magazine than last time, so I don't think it's a magazine issue.

This is the third time this has happened. Something is engaging the bolt hold open tab while firing. I haven't found a single case of this problem in any forum. I am at a total loss as to why. My only guess is that the spent brass may be boucing off the wall or ceiling of the indoor range I shoot at, and back into the receiver of the gun, perhaps hitting the bolt hold open button.

I also had one failure to extract today, but I hadn't cleaned the rifle in 300 or so rounds. I have sinced cleaned it. I had no other problems today.

I don't think that is why the bolt is locking back because the rifle was clean the first time it happened.

I have no idea what to do now. I might bring it to the gunsmith.
The bolt hold open device is held in place under the door on the left side of the receiver. It also has a spring on it. My guess is either the spring is weak, it has been installed incorrectly or it is missing. If it's missing that leaves the bolt hold open device just bouncing around under that door. The door opens by sliding it down while the action is out of the stock. Check the spring and if it is there get a new one and replace it.

kwg

·
Registered
98 Posts
If checking or removing the spring keep your thumb on the plunger as you remove it, if the spring is there and the plunger is not controlled upon removal the spring and plunger will go into low earth orbit, lesson learned the hard way.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Update: I had 5 failures to eject in 150 rounds the other day. The problem is getting worse. I contacted Ruger, and they are having me send it back in for the 2nd time. The failures happened with 2 different Ruger 20 round magazines with Federal American Eagle .223. The Mini 14 was cleaned and oiled too. I have less than 1,000 total through it.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts