Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SUBJECT: A few of Old/New Models Muzzleloaders - 1970-1985 / 2016- now

I'm not doing a scam or advertising for this firm, just showing you folks something a little different in the gun world.

Ruger got involved in muzzleloaders for a short time, those guns have increased a little in value but not like some of the other manufacturers. If the firearm is done correctly (the build, profile, etc.) they can be enjoyable to handle, look at and collect. If done poorly like anything else, they don't see the increased value that the better profiles enjoy.

These models were available through 1970 -1985 before Jimmy Carter's plans - the
recession that irrevocably damaged the American economy. In 2016 up to now the old firm has been reopened with the same custom gunsmiths (now down to (4) original employees from at one time over (50). To keep this short lets look at some quality semi custom built muzzleloaders.

GRRW.CA - H.E. Leman Trade Rifle (first rifle built with new firm)

GRRW.CA - H.E. Leman Trade Rifle (second rifle built, collector had to have the first one)

GRRW.CA - J&S Hawken Rifle (all of these guns were built for me)

GRRW.CA - H.E. Leman NW Trade Gun
This is a very unusual north west trade gun copied from an original seen in the Denver area, it's a .50 cal. smoothbore.

GRRW.CA - H.E. Leman Trade Pistol
The interesting think about this group are the ages of these gentlemen building these guns. Late 70's to mid 80's with the same or better skill set in their trade. Thank you for your time.

As stated before I'm not doing a scam or advertising for any firm, just showing you folks some quality weapons.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I still like my ROA even if other people don't. I still have all the muzzle loaders I have ever had but 1 a Rem 700 my granddaughter has. My 1st was a Esopus swivel breech .45. My 1st muzzle loader deer was shot with that in .45 round ball.
Have a great day.
Jim

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have always shot patched/round ball whether in an antique or a reproduction, have had antique muskets but never shot the concial bullets.

Got interested in Doc White (GRRW fame) with his "WHITE RIFLES TEAM WINNING THE 2006 - 2007 MANUFACTURER’S MATCHES AT FRIENDSHIP, IN.

The White team established a new record for the match, shooting 1132- 14X, eclipsing the old record of 1101-8X set in 2005 by the Knight team. David Jones also shot a new individual record for the match, shooting a 291-3X. He missed 9 points out of 300. WOW! It is hard for me to express how proud I am of this team of shooters was Doc's remark.

Doc is famous for building English Sporting Rifles.
His ad read; strong grained walnut stock, no pistol grip and fancy contrasting steel butt plate, English style. The butt is checkered in the English fashion. It sports a traditional flat spring Henry percussion sidelock to fit the heavy metal Manton breech, plus drip bar, which gets rid of the weak wood just in front of the lock. There is a single fore-end key in silver ovals to complement the black nosed fore-end. It has a double triggers with the single set which will fire the rifle set or un-set, an under-rib with double steel ferrules and adjustable tall Vernier long range rear sight with Lyman front sight (with interchangeable apertures) to match the 368 caliber 1-11 twist shallow groove barrel. The barrel is a lustrous deep brown while the lock, tang, trigger and trigger guard are a deep hot blue. The walnut has been finished with penetrating oil under varnish. The wood is very lovely but it is strong and close grained. * The vernier rear sight is tall enough for 1000 yard shooting. It folds out of the way, either forward or backward. It was made by Pedersoli and adjusts in all directions. The single Set trigger will fire the rifle with a 4 lb. (pull if not set), it can be adjusted down to an ounce if set. All screws are fire blued.

I broke down and ordered one of these rifle: 367/300 Super Slug (BC= .33) This is also an experimental caliber. It will be very useful as it betters the ballistics of the much loved 38-55 of yesteryear. The bore mikes .368 land-land, with a groove depth of .375. Twist is 1-14. Bullet is cast weighing 300 gr. at .368 diameter, then is sized to .367. It is accurate and hits hard with 80-90 grains Pyrodex P. It’s sure to be a good killer on deer sized game. Recoil is surprisingly mild.

Got lucky and found a casting company 20 miles down the road that's known for their skills in making bullets.

Doc figured a year wait because of the custom barrel, machine shop work in tappering it and mounting it to a Manton breechplug like those African double barrel rifles from the past. At this time we have all the pieces, machine shop work is completed, now waiting for Carl Walker (custom muzzleloading gunsmith for GRRW.CA) to finish the customer's rifle that's on his bench.

Doc and Carl both claim this small .367 diameter 300 grain bullet rifle will shoot 4 inch groups at 800 yards without any effort. I believe they are correct after seeing what the White Rifle Team did back in 2006 and 2007.

New Slip-fit 367/300 Super Slug (BC= .33) Muzzleloading Rifle

·
Registered
like single action big bore revolvers
51 Posts
I have one of the .45 cal Browning Mountain Rifles that I have hunted with for the last 20 years or so.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts