Ruger Forum banner

A few shorties

4K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  Andyd 
#1 ·
My short ones, the SRH falls a little in between short and long.

See less See more
#6 ·
Thanks guys!

Can you imagine that I had not a single Ruger two years ago? It all started with somebody having car troubles and offering me the GP100 for $200 and my Mini14 with a 20rd Ruger mag for $250.

How could I decline? Good medicine for a S&W snob:).

#15 ·
Well, I finally got another Ruger yesterday. A Service Six in rough condition, the backstrap of the grip was rusted and underneath the trigger guard there was brown "patina", too. It polished out but I rushed through the rust blueing and it resulted in a shallow grey finish. It's still good enough since I absolutely have to take it to the range tomorrow!!! I can always redo it again:). The original grips are still wet with Tru Oil.

#17 ·
Bet you are going to really like that Speed-Six. I do mine. I like mine so well that I can say there is no amout of money can buy it. I am looking around for a holster for it now. I guess I am going to have El Passo make one. Good luck with yours.

Best,Baldy.

#18 ·
Baldy,

mine came with a nice condition black Buchheimer holster. It won't lend itself well to concealed carry but is correct for the era. It also came with the original wooden grips that cleaned up pretty well and a box of mixed ammo, all that for $183. Which is not bad for Southern Florida
The rust blueing, which I had also recommended to you, did not come out so well. I rushed through it and did not degrease the frame well.
I'll have to redo it.

Taurus 9mm,

I should get that range report up today. It might be quite uneventful, the gun seems to be in very good mechanical condition and it should shoot as expected:).

#20 ·
Alright,

I went to the range with my older son today and we took a few revolvers along. The SP101, GP100, S&W 65, and the Service Six.

It was an uneventful session, the Service Six performed flawlessly. I had the service grips on and it was kind of making accuracy a little bit harder - particularly with .357 Magnums! But the accuracy was good enough. I might change the hammer spring to a lighter weight eventually.
The SP101 is a gem; with the Hogues it is surprisingly accurate. The GP100 performed as well as always but the star of the day was my old S&W 65, the trigger is just unbelievably smooth and since we do most of our revolver shooting in double action, the difference at 15 yards on paper plates is visible!

The service Six has passed it's test with flying colours and will be used as a car gun by my son, most likely.

#21 ·
This is a photo of it with service grips. I took it with my son's camera which is much better and it shows the streaks on the barrel. I should have degreased the steel wool:( I used a new pad on the barrel and thought it was degreased. Well, I was wrong - and it shows.

#23 ·
Well, it's done. I took the time to degrease the steel wool and the results are as desired; a dark, black and shiny finish.
Unfortunately my son is over at his cousins and took his camera with him and mine does not do the finish justice.

#24 ·
Great looking cold bluing job, I have never had mine last very long. I have sent a few guns back to Ruger and they do a real fine job of bluing for a very little money or they did in the past. Say 15 years ago or so. But from the looks of the picture your much better at cold blue than I am. I am impressed, looks factory to me for sure.

#25 ·
Thanks Snuffy!
This is not a regular cold blueing job but a rust blue as it is used for the expensive double barreled shotguns. It's much more time consuming and labor intensive than caustic blueing but also less of a health hazard.

It's at least as durable as hot blueing. I actually applied seven coats.

It is not so difficult really. Hey, if I can do it...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.