Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son came to me a few weeks ago and told me that he wanted to buy his first rifle. He was wanting it before deer season because he was tired of borrowing one. Since he's not really a gun guy, I told him that I would help him out with trying to find one. He didn't have a big budget, so we were looking at entry level guns. We found a few rifles in his price range. It was between the Savage Axis, a Ruger American rifle, a Remington 700 ADL and a Mossberg Patriot.

After handling all of the rifles mentioned, It was quickly down to the Mossberg and the ADL based solely on my initial quality inspection. After working the bolt, I found that the Remington had the grittiest action ever. I was badly disappointed with how gritty it was. There must be something to this whole Freedom Group and the lack of quality from them. I was, however, really surprised with the Mossberg. Nice smooth action and seemed to be the best bang for the buck.

He thought about it for a few days and decided on the Mossberg. I started looking online for one and found one (a .308 win) on sale with Kentucky Gun Company for $250 with free shipping. After receiving it and getting some rounds downrange, I feel he has a nice gun bought at a great price. We were getting 1 1/2" groups @ 100 yards. More than sufficient for deer hunting. (At least where we hunt).

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I have been looking at a Mossberg Patriot in 30-06, blued with the wood stock, for a range fun rifle. I thought I saw that they made a model with iron sights but I could be wrong.

I had a Remington 710 30-06, considered the lowest of the low of "box rifles", it was a piece of crap, no doubt, but that thing drove TACKS with steel case 30-06, go figure. Put a cheap bipod on it and a 32x BSA made in China special cheapo scope............I shot 5-shot groups off the bipod at 100 you could cover with a quarter. The fact that the action was glued into the stock skeeved me out so I eventually sold it.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been looking at a Mossberg Patriot in 30-06, blued with the wood stock, for a range fun rifle. I thought I saw that they made a model with iron sights but I could be wrong.

I had a Remington 710 30-06, considered the lowest of the low of "box rifles", it was a piece of crap, no doubt, but that thing drove TACKS with steel case 30-06, go figure. Put a cheap bipod on it and a 32x BSA made in China special cheapo scope............I shot 5-shot groups off the bipod at 100 you could cover with a quarter. The fact that the action was glued into the stock skeeved me out so I eventually sold it.
Yeah, we didn't even consider any Remington other than the 700, but I was disappointed with it as well. I haven't handled a new BDL. Hopefully there is a big difference between the BDL and the ADL.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
Wow, sounds like the competition winner hands-down. I was just reading an article on the Patriot. Sounds like a pretty nice rifle. I also like Mossberg. I've always enjoyed their shotguns. Glad he found a keeper with great accuracy for an affordable price.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Review I read a few months back makes it sound like a decent rifle for the money. Glad he decided on it. Got a Remington 700 myself but mine is from 1983 vintage. Bit better back then!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts