Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Nothing exeptional for you on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean...

But after several years using my club's GP100 (6" by the way), I decided to get my own revolver. Quick choice between the 686 and this Ruger, and... here is it, my new one, 2nd Ruger and first wheelie :

There were only 2 available on ordering for the entire France, one is mine :)

Little family picture :

Actually, within a year, a 3rd Ruger should join my collection, Mk3 or 22/45, Target model.

I look forward to try my revolver, bought last friday.
I had to wait for shooting because I currently walk with crutches after an ankle operation... shooting .22lr was already enough hard ^^'

Ludoo

·
Registered
602 Posts
congratulations on a awesome wheelgun. i like the pics. what are the gun laws like for you in your country does the club have to hold onto them? what did you have to go through to purchase that?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Congratulations to you on your new GP100! It's a great revolver and I'm sure you will get many years of shooting pleasure with it.:)

·
Registered
495 Posts
Congratulations Ludoo! Let us know how long it takes for her to lose the Yankee accent and start going BANG! with a more elegant Norman flair.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thx all

I chose the GP100 because it's easier to replace the original front sight by an optic fiber... so yeah I'll consider those, thx (just have to know if they shop to France)

Indeed, getting weapons is not an easy thing over here.
The article linked upper is pretty close to the reality.
So, after you read it you should understand these point-out:
- mags over 20 rounds for pistols and 30 rounds for rifles are prohibited (funny thing : get a Sub2000 and a Glock 17, or a CMR30 and a PMR30...)
- full auto guns ain't allowed : forget to have a Glock 18, Beretta 93 and all military variants of rifles
- in France, you can have 12 B weapons. Choose right between pistols, revolvers, rifles. Bolt rifles are categorized in C : you can buy much as you can.
- shotguns... since I shoot Remington 870 in south-America, I want one. 2 ways in France: I accept to sacrifice a B autorization and I buy a smoothed barrel, or I buy a bored barrel for a C (and I shoot only slugs)
- single shot revolvers aren't included in the 12 autorizations
- then, how to buy a gun :
*take your shooting licence
*be diligent and proove it with your shooting book (3 controlled shoots spaced at least of 2 months)
*buy a safe
*do all the paperwork
*send it to the "préfecture" (France is divided in 22 "régions" whose are themselves divided in 95 "départements"; the capital of the "département" is the "préfecture")
*wait (depending on the location it could be long, up to 6 months - I'm lucky cause I wait 2 weeks, it's one of the shortest time in France) and then you can finally buy your gun (or not : there's an investigation on you, and if the result is not good, it's refused).
*you can ask up to 12 autorizations of detentions together (or 12 minus the number of autorizations you already have)

Easy isn't it? :D

And guess what, since november 13th, there's an European law prject to prohibit semi-auto guns, and war look-a-like rifles... I know all eastern countries say "**** off", I hope France will do so

Maybe I'll move to America someday... somewhere close to the Rocky Mountains I hope.
But if I do, it'll be harder for me to shoot again I think

How, and I was about to forget : I paid my GP100 1100€ (and it was one of the cheapest!!), wich means $1168 on today rate (MSRP $780)
Sure I'll keep it as long as I can

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Congratulations on one of the best Revolvers ever made.
I think so ^^
I could have a 40 years Python 4" instead of my GP100 wich is another of the best revolver ever made... I prefered to get a new gun to shoot 357 (too afraid of breaking an old Python, I know this Ruger can shoot as much 357 as I want, the one belonging to our club is 18 years old, not much care and still okay :) )

·
Super Moderator
21,861 Posts
You are correct the GP100 will last a lifetime. Congrats on the new gun and enjoy it.

Can you keep a loaded gun in your home for protection?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Can you keep a loaded gun in your home for protection?
Legally I can't
And even if you can protect yourself, it has to be regarding to the threat and to be immediate.

I mean, if burglar come into my home and I shoot him, I go to jail and the victim is the burglar :eek:

So I better kick him in balls and call for the police than shoot or cut or use a baseball bat (anyway, it's hard to find a baseball bat here) to protect myself. I could use pepperspray, but in a house... :D

If he's not shooting at me, I can't legally shoot at him.
And if he shoots at me, I have better to run fast than use my guns if I want to keep'em.

In France, since 1940 and the Nazi invasion, we have lost the gun culture (before we lost war, there were weapons everywhere, after, they were banned and whosoever was discovered with a hidden weapon was condemned to death by Nazis. After 1945 there were nothing done to reintroduce weapons)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts