Ruger Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,043 Posts
I was just checking out a RAR .30-06 at Gander Mountain today while bringing in my Remington Model 770 to get the scope boresighted. It looked and felt nice for the price point.

I was hoping to get one for Black Friday at Walmart, but none of the stores in my area sell firearms. (they were selling them for $337 without scope), so I settled on the Remington which came with a scope for $299.99 plus a buy one get one free camo rifle case.

I couldn't pass up that deal. :)

· Registered
1,043 Posts
As a longstanding Ruger fanatic and owner someone that has shot and hunted since i was a kid and owned and loved many Ruger Rifles, i have to say my impression of the American was not good i thought for a Ruger it was poorly finished ,the fit of parts was awful and the stock felt and sounded like a hollow piece of tupperware....the one i played with shot ok....but just ok,i really believe Ruger has taken a step backwards with the production of these i wouldn't even put it in the same cabinet as my M77 Hawkeye or my Browning X-bolts seems to the American to Ruger is what Stevens is to Savage or what Tikka is to Sako a down graded cheaper model.....JMHO.
I recently handled the Ruger American, Remington 770 and 700D, all in black synthetic, and from an aesthetic and quality point of view they all appeared to be about equal.

All are entry level rifles and are priced accordingly.

· Registered
1,043 Posts
Hey Chris i agree all the above mentioned rifles are entry level and are priced accordingly....as i said in an earlier post i believe the American to Ruger is what Stevens is to Savage or Tikka is to Sako. If after picking up an American then picking up a M77 or a Number 1 the difference in quality is blatantly obvious.
Whilst all these rifles have there place in the market,personally i wouldn't own an American..."but one mans poison is another mans honey".;):)
Unfortunately, there are some of us who can't afford a really fine rifle at the moment, so I'm glad Ruger stepped in with an alternative.

The slightly higher priced Remington 700D in black synthetic I was considering buying didn't really look or feel much better then the RAR did.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.