Ruger Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,226 Posts
It sounds like the problem may be you not understanding how to adjust a scope. I say this due to your statement that it was your first time using a scope.

As for the Marlin X-7 I have not heard reports of bolt problems, but have heard rave reviews on accuracy. I bought my grandson a Marln X-7 in 7mm-08 a month ago. While load testing, I got a very accurate deer-antelope load on the first load i tested. 140 gr. Sierra Pro-hunter bullet, 41 gr. of H4895 powder and cartidge overall length of 2.800.

That first load put 3 bullets at 100 yards into a group that measured .495
That is a shade under 1/2 inch. Not bad for a rifle that had a base price of $377.00.:)

· Registered
1,226 Posts
I will be taking my grandson wild boar hunting this spring with his 7mm-08. I do handload and will use 140 gr. Nosler Partitions or 140 gr. Barnes TSX bullets. It will depend on which bullet is most accuate. Do not use light jacketed bullets like the Rem. Core-Lokt on wild boar. They sometimes open too fast and will not get into the vitals and you loose a wounded animal. I feel that even the Sierra Pro-hunter bullet, that shot the group of.495 has too light of a jacket for wild boar on a shoulder shot.

Also a hint for better accuracy. That Marlin X-7 has two pressure points in the forearm barrel channel. If you do not get good accuracy, remove those pressure points by sanding them down even with the barrel channel and free float your barrel. That is what I did to my grandson's rifle before I fired the first shot. I have heard many guys state the Marlin X-7 is very accurate with the pressure points left in, so try the gun first. Another point of information, you expressed the opinion that the Marlin was not so good do to cast parts in the rifle. Ruger was the one that pioneered using cast parts in making their firearms and still do so today.

· Registered
1,226 Posts
I am speaking about the thickness of the jacket. those Partizan you mentioned are very similar to the Sierra Pro Hunter and I would avoid shoulder shots if possible. Go for the heart or lung shot and they should do the trick.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.