Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
6,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was working Halloween night out at the coast and we got a call that an ambulance was inbound with a gunshot wound to "the groin".

Ouch!

I worry a lot about gunshot wounds in that region, because that's where the femoral artery runs, and it is very difficult to get control of bleeding in that area. While we were waiting for the ambulance to wind its way up US 101, I put in a call to the on-call surgeon and let the blood bank know we might have an urgent need for some O-negative blood. Then I sat down and tried to get some "paperwork" (electronic records) done.

The ambulance arrived "code one" (no lights or siren), which could be a good sign or a really bad sign. The EMT's opened the doors and brought out a man who was laying on the gurney and moaning (a good sign) and clutching his "privates". The EMT's had an odd expression on their faces, something between nausea and pain.

Since it was a gunshot wound, the Sheriff's deputy was following the ambulance; she also had an odd expression, but hers was more like a smirk.

We wheeled the gurney into the trauma bay and I pulled back the sheets to reveal... a massive wad of gauze (the groin isn't an easy place to bandage). After a few minutes of gauze excavation, the ugly truth was exposed.

At this point, I'd like to do a short segue to explain how it happened that this man ended up where he was on Halloween night.

I suppose it will not come as a surprise that the incident began at a party, with a fair amount of alcohol (and possibly other substances) being consumed. At some point, the inevitable fight broke out and the man who was on the gurney had come in second (out of two). The victor threw him out of the house where the party was happening, which really ticked him off, not the least because it was his house.

At this point, he decided that he wasn't going to take this laying down - at least not until he'd had a lot more to drink - and went to his pickup truck and got a pistol out of the glove box. He thrust the pistol into his waistband and stomped back into the house.

Once in the house, he eventually located the winner of the fight and asked - in a manner of speaking - for a rematch. To emphasize his point, he lifted his shirt to show the pistol in his waistband. Somebody grabbed for the pistol and a brief struggle ensued, which ended shortly after a single gunshot rang out.

When the party "guests" heard the gunshot, they cleared out like cockroaches when the light comes on. Somebody called 911 (from the house phone) and reported a shooting; when the Sheriff's deputies arrived, there was just one person in the house: our hapless victim, who was lying on the floor "curled up like a shrimp" (it's a fishing community) in a puddle of his own blood.

Back to the ER:

At about the time I'd finally unearthed the damage, the deputy walked in with a plastic bag full of ice. In that bag was a smaller bag containing a moderate amount of "tissue". She was still trying to contain her smirk and the EMT's were visibly cringing.

Since this is a family forum, I'll gloss over the gory details and cut to the chase. During the struggle, the pistol had discharged while it was still inside our victim's waistband - whose finger was on the trigger we may never know. Unfortunately, the bullet - a .45 ACP JHP - passed through his... how can I put this... male member. My guess would be that the muzzle was in contact with the ... you know... when the pistol fired.

The combination of the bullet and the muzzle blast completely severed the body part in question - that was the "tissue" in the plastic bag on ice.

I don't think the surgeons are going to be able to re-attach it. A number of potential punch lines come to mind, but I'm going to retrain myself.

Use a holster, guys.

Jim

·
Registered
188 Posts
it had to be intentional.... everyone knows to never point a firearm at anything you don't intend to destroy ....

jd

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
One less contributor to the shallow end of the gene pool.

·
Banned
365 Posts
I would guess that "stubby" or "snubnose" would be his new nickname? :D

Thanks, Jim. It is SO MUCH easier learning from the mistakes of others.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,337 Posts
Dutch courage + gun = bad combo

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a friend from Philadelphia who tells a somewhat similar story about a friend of his in Philly.

However it has a few significant differences: 1) the Philly "victim" didn't get in a fight with anyone, he just thought sticking a loaded pistol down the front of his pants was a good place to carry while attempting to hunt rabbits, 2) there was no doubt he shot himself while trying to pull the gun, and 3) he was "lucky" enough to only be carrying a .22 so he just made a hole through his happy soldier.

Still OWWW!

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
I just looked down. My legs are crossed and tightly clenched. And have been since the 1st sentence. :eek:

No, we gotta go two more on that one... :eek::eek:

·
Registered
17,083 Posts
Poor ol Stumpy.

·
Super Moderator
21,420 Posts
The perils of appendix carry. It isn't the appendix but the appendage that suffers stupidity.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
Will he now be shooting blanks?

Will he complain about his fail to fire?

Lord knows he will have alot of failure to eject issues ...

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
A very entertaining "short" story.

·
Registered
6,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just looked down. My legs are crossed and tightly clenched. And have been since the 1st sentence. :eek:

No, we gotta go two more on that one... :eek::eek:
Yeah, most of the "guys" in the ER were having a hard time with this case. Even the urologist was visibly shaken.

Jim

1 - 20 of 45 Posts