Ruger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
I have been buying most of my guns through gunbroker lately. I think I have bought 34-35 on the site and one off gunsamerica. I can usually get a better price when considering all costs. I also run into the problem that most LGS’s don’t have in stock what I want, new or used. I have tried ordering through LGS’s but that experience usually ends in long wait times if it ever gets filled and frustration. No knock on my LGS’s it would be a lot to maintain the level of inventory to cater to everyone’s whim.

·
Banned
4,210 Posts
I bought one used P gun off of GunsAmerica but the rest at GB and 1 from my LGS. All new I by from him. I never ever go there without buying at least ammo. When I am looking for a certain P gun, the best bet to find it is at GB, IMO. Way more options and so easy to navigate their website.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Here's my 2007 P89. It's a superb shooter, a beneficiary of the 3rd Quarter 2007 Ruger Produce Improvement Program, applied shortly before they discontinued the P89. I alternate between using the rubber fingergroove grips and the OEM Ruger grips (which I had my gunsmith lightly sandblast for a slightly improved grip and slightly more subdued look). The sight dots are also colored, with a fluorescent red dot in the front and fluorescent yellow rear dots.

And a link to a very detailed discussion thread I initiated on the P89 on pistol-forum.com: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?11782-My-DA-SA-Traditional-Ruger-P89&highlight=volkspistol

Best, Jon

·
Registered
213 Posts
I remember sending my P85 back to Ruger for that recall.

Beyond that little hiccup it never failed me.

·
Registered
803 Posts
My first Ruger was the P89 9mm pistol which is an improved version of the P85.
Very rugged, very reliable, fairly accurate as well. Good choice imo

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
... I alternate between using the rubber fingergroove grips and the OEM Ruger grips (which I had my gunsmith lightly sandblast for a slightly improved grip and slightly more subdued look). ...
If you can find them, the Uncle Mike's checkered rubber grips for the P-series are very good at improving the grip feel without increasing the size like the finger-groove ones will do.

·
Banned
4,210 Posts
If you can find them, the Uncle Mike's checkered rubber grips for the P-series are very good at improving the grip feel without increasing the size like the finger-groove ones will do.

I looked and could only find a generic Uncle Mike's slip on sleeve grip which, IMO, would increase the size. Are you talking about a bolt in checkered grip in place of the factory Ruger panel grips?

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
I looked and could only find a generic Uncle Mike's slip on sleeve grip which, IMO, would increase the size. Are you talking about a bolt in checkered grip in place of the factory Ruger panel grips?
I do believe those are the ones he is talking about ...

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
yes, those are the replacement panels, not a sleeve. They have been out of production for a bit, but it still possible to find new, old stock grips out there. I bought a few sets from a dealer a year or so ago (Gunbroker or eBay, can't remember which)

·
Banned
4,210 Posts
yes, those are the replacement panels, not a sleeve. They have been out of production for a bit, but it still possible to find new, old stock grips out there. I bought a few sets from a dealer a year or so ago (Gunbroker or eBay, can't remember which)

Ok, yea, I only looked at the Uncle Mike's site but I did see links to ebay and GB and Amazon....etc.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Great history lesson, thanks

·
Banned
4,210 Posts
It qualifies for the forum and the thread. I have one as well. You can talk about any P series on any P series thread out there and get away with it. It happens. Hard to limit P series firearms conversations to just one model.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
It qualifies for the forum and the thread. I have one as well. You can talk about any P series on any P series thread out there and get away with it. It happens. Hard to limit P series firearms conversations to just one model.
What he said ...

·
Registered
535 Posts
I had a set and quite liked them (as seen on my avatar here). Craig Spegel designed them for Uncle Mikes. However, after the passage of years, I encountered some shrinkage of one of the grip retaining tabs at the top, so the grip would slip in the receiver during firing.

I switched to the Hogue fingergroove grips, and now alternate between them and the OEM Xenoy grooved grip plates, that I had lightly sandblasted for slightly increased grippability and a slightly more muted subdued look, as seen on the image that I posted earlier in the thread (#25).

Best, Jon

·
Registered
536 Posts
A very good read! All this talk makes me want to go out buy one of these P guns!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts