Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a story to tell you. Do not laugh, for it is a very sad story!

One day, long, long ago, I sold my old Ruger standard model 6", to buy my heart's desire, a Mark II KMK514. It was love at first sight, as it lay, softly gleaming, in its box!
After some time, I disassembled it for cleaning. Everything went well, until I attempted to get tension on the main spring. Read the manual, burn incense, nothing helped!

Finally, in great humility and trembling, I approached a gunsmith of my acquaintance with my box of parts, genuflecting deeply, with greenback dollars prominently displayed in my outstretched hand.

I wanted to watch, but he retired to a back room, and what seemed like 30 seconds later, he reappeared, with the gun all together. For more than 20 years It had not been apart! For cleaning, it was; take the grips off, hose it out with Gun Scrubber, Patchworm the bore, anoint with CLP, wipe with a silicone-impregnated rag, and done!

I studied muchly and often in the intervening years, often communing with the wizards of Rimfire Central, but STILL didn't "get It"!

Then, as in "Omar Khayyam" "...Arise fair sun and kill the moon..." Wow! I watched a number of the excellent videos on YouTube...can't remember which, there were a lot! Just search Ruger Mk II assembly/disassembly.

OBOY! sez I; IS that all there is to it? That thing that caused both myself, and even an Australian Regimental Sergeant Major to utter oaths and blasphemies upon the head of him who had designed it???

So, it came to pass, with the assistance of my grandson, a sprightly lad, and budding gun nut, I took my Ruger apart for the first time in more than 20 years!

It ain't all that hard! :eek:

OOOO, did it need a cleaning! In time, that was accomplished, then, in the True Spirit of Never Leaving Well-Enough Alone, I decided to replace the extractor. It came to pass, I had a VQ Titanium extractor and spring in my parts drawer that I had bought at the Bazaar (It was a really good buy) at least 10 years ago.( I was planning to use it, really I was!) Reading the Wizard SGW's sayings of sooth, I discovered that some extractors have a nub of metal from the laser cutting operations. I looked and YES! There it was, just as Wizard SGW had foretold!

It was tiny, but my fingernail would catch on it. So, I got a whetstone, and started working on it. After a while, I said "There has to be a better way! My diamond files were shouting at me: (In a minor key)"US, over here, use us!" I took the nub down till my fingernail wouldn't catch, then finished so it was smooth, and installed it, with my grandson's help.

So, the moral of the tale is; NEVER give UP! Some day, perhaps like me, in the distant future, enlightenment will gently descend and smack you in the head with its wand .

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
I have owned 3 ruger 22 semi auto pistols and I am a mechanical klutz of the first magnitude. i did the same thing clean assembled as best I could and periodically bring it to a gunsmith to have disassembled and cleaned. I read the instructions repeatedly watched a video and was shown how to reassemble it. No luck. i was shown how to do it no luck. I had someone physically move my hands to have me do it properly. I tried again my self no luck. I have since sold both of the 22s. I stick to other guns more easily reassembled.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I own 3 of these beautiful yet frustrating pistols. I am past my fear of taking out the bolt. That only took (no kidding) 23 years to get over. My nemesis is taking the receiver off of the frame to clean. I did it ONCE back in 1988. Literally bent the frame trying to get it back together and had to send it to Ruger to fix (I have the receipt of work done to repair). NEVER AGAIN have I taken the receiver off of the frame - NEVER. Gun scrubber, long q-tips, CLP and cleaning rod is all it takes to keep all 3 going bang. I'm a competitive shooter as are my sons and we put thousands of rounds through these beautifully frustrating firearms a year - and each time we need them to, they go bang without ever having to separate the frame from the receiver. They could be welded together by now - my grandchildren will deal with that in due time. As for me and mine - they shall never be apart.

·
Registered
224 Posts
ONCE YOU KNOW HOW....... they are super easy to take apart and re assemble. Really. There are quite a few you tube videos on it, but the trick is to get the "little hangy thingy" back pressed against the mainspring in the handle. Then ot will snap back together. If you dont hold the pistol upside down to position this part properly, it will never happen. Sadly the manual makes little mention of this....

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
cleaning

I've owned at least 1/2 dozen over the years, and currently have a MK III 6" (my avatar). Like millions of other shooters, I love 'em. I've never had an issue dis-assembling and re-assembling them until this MK III; it's a bear-cat. I had a hell of a time re-inserting the bolt pin-it took a hammer and punch :( So at my age, I figure I'll avoid the frustration. So what I do is remove the grips, lock the bolt back, and hose everthing out with either electric contact cleaner or brake cleaner. Then give the necessary surfaces a squirt of aerosol Rem-Oil, replace the grips, and I'm good for another 500 rounds. Been doing this for over 8000 rounds with this MK III, and everything's fine :)

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Disassembling The Mark II is not the problem for me. The assembling of the Mark II has caused me to tremble. I do thank God for You Tube and I have learned to turn the gun upside down and get the little hangy thingy (mentioned by Mr. Knucklehead 46) into the proper place. It still is not easy for me, You tube and Xanax are my companions when I preform this task. Most the time I blast it with a cleaner and hit it with compressed air.

·
Exalted One
1,808 Posts
Same thing happened to me with my stock Mk-II, with a twist. I was having such a tough time getting it back together that I fiddled with what looked like the thing that was in the way and out came the trigger mechanism - in several parts with springs, pins and such arrayed about my workbench and in my lap.

I stopped by a gunsmith near where I was going to a meeting that evening with everything in a tupperware container. He took one look at it, smiled, and understood, without me having to explain anything. I asked him if he could put it back together and if so, how long it would take. He said yup, it'll be ready tomorrow.

So I went to the meeting, it got out early, and I stopped by just to see if it might be ready. It was. Just an hour after I dropped it off. He had also cleaned it thoroughly. $90 later, it was in working order again.

I love shooting this thing, just hate the reassembly after cleaning - which I do the same day I fire it. Always. Like others, I used the internet to find out what I was doing wrong, printed out one website with detailed instructions and pictures, and can sort of get it back together within a reasonable time - each time with that printed out sheet in front of me. But because it is such a PITA to get back together, I don't shoot it as often as my Bersa Thunder .22 or my wife's SR22. Too bad, because it is a nice shootin' iron.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
I could never figure out what the big problem was . I bought a standard MKI in the 60's, a MKI Target in the 70's and a Stainless steel MKII in the 80's and never had any assembly problems after reading the instructions and learning the little trick.
I'm not smart and didn't have any U-Tube video's.....maybe the U-Tube videos are the problem.
I hope people buy MKIV's and get rid of their MKI's , MKII's and MKIII's for dirt cheap,
I wouldn't mind a heavy barreled MKII...for cheap !
Gary

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I have a story to tell you. Do not laugh, for it is a very sad story!

One day, long, long ago, I sold my old Ruger standard model 6", to buy my heart's desire, a Mark II KMK514. It was love at first sight, as it lay, softly gleaming, in its box!
After some time, I disassembled it for cleaning. Everything went well, until I attempted to get tension on the main spring. Read the manual, burn incense, nothing helped!

Finally, in great humility and trembling, I approached a gunsmith of my acquaintance with my box of parts, genuflecting deeply, with greenback dollars prominently displayed in my outstretched hand.

I wanted to watch, but he retired to a back room, and what seemed like 30 seconds later, he reappeared, with the gun all together. For more than 20 years It had not been apart! For cleaning, it was; take the grips off, hose it out with Gun Scrubber, Patchworm the bore, anoint with CLP, wipe with a silicone-impregnated rag, and done!

I studied muchly and often in the intervening years, often communing with the wizards of Rimfire Central, but STILL didn't "get It"!

Then, as in "Omar Khayyam" "...Arise fair sun and kill the moon..." Wow! I watched a number of the excellent videos on YouTube...can't remember which, there were a lot! Just search Ruger Mk II assembly/disassembly.

OBOY! sez I; IS that all there is to it? That thing that caused both myself, and even an Australian Regimental Sergeant Major to utter oaths and blasphemies upon the head of him who had designed it???

So, it came to pass, with the assistance of my grandson, a sprightly lad, and budding gun nut, I took my Ruger apart for the first time in more than 20 years!

It ain't all that hard! :eek:

OOOO, did it need a cleaning! In time, that was accomplished, then, in the True Spirit of Never Leaving Well-Enough Alone, I decided to replace the extractor. It came to pass, I had a VQ Titanium extractor and spring in my parts drawer that I had bought at the Bazaar (It was a really good buy) at least 10 years ago.( I was planning to use it, really I was!) Reading the Wizard SGW's sayings of sooth, I discovered that some extractors have a nub of metal from the laser cutting operations. I looked and YES! There it was, just as Wizard SGW had foretold!

It was tiny, but my fingernail would catch on it. So, I got a whetstone, and started working on it. After a while, I said "There has to be a better way! My diamond files were shouting at me: (In a minor key)"US, over here, use us!" I took the nub down till my fingernail wouldn't catch, then finished so it was smooth, and installed it, with my grandson's help.

So, the moral of the tale is; NEVER give UP! Some day, perhaps like me, in the distant future, enlightenment will gently descend and smack you in the head with its wand .
Fun story for sure...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts