Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
9,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I won't go into the gory details, but visiting my parents today I got talking with my dad about reloading. He taught me what I know. He got me into firearms. Unfortunately, health issues have robbed him of his ability to do things for himself. So talking with him he told me to take some reloading supplies that he will never ever get to use. He even told me to take his reloaded ammo that he did a few years ago. I offered him money for everything he was giving but would have none of that. So, I'll use these supplies with a smile and shoot his reloads with a even bigger smile knowing mine will never be as good as his. Now I'm getting this damn dust in my eyes so I had better just stop while I'm ahead.

·
Exchequer
4,798 Posts
Watching parents getting older and dealing with all the problems that come in the third third is tough in many aspects. Saw it with both my mother and father -and more directly with my mother-in-law.
The main thing that helped me through it all was the knowledge that we (the kids) did everything we could to help them maintain their independence as much as possible for as long as possible.

·
Registered
303 Posts
That sucks about your father. 33 years ago, I lost my father and inherited his reloading equipment and supplies. I still have and use a lot of it. That is where my second Rockchucker came from. I still have a 50 caliber can full of 223's that I loaded for him in 1979. Enjoy your father while you still have him.

P.S. I see in the picture that you wound up with some Winchester small pistol primers also. LOL!

·
Registered
9,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
michael63, is their any chance you could take your Dad out for some shooting? My wife has been a paraplegic for close to forty years in a wheelchair and she has gone to the range to shoot with so several times.
Sir ... it would be a blessing to shoot one more time with him. But his pride won't let him be fussed over in public. The ranges I go to are all wheelchair accessible but he would never permit us to take him.

·
Super Moderator
4,080 Posts
Don’t worry about that dust in your eye. I lost my father close to two years ago. He taught me to shoot, hunt, fish, reload, you name it. Funny thing, as I was watching my two year old run through the woods, I was thinking about all that he taught me and how much stuck and that I want to teach my kids, and then I was just thinking some basic woodcraft. I wish things had ended differently between my father and I, so tell him how you feel every chance you get.

·
Registered
9,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That sucks about your father. 33 years ago, I lost my father and inherited his reloading equipment and supplies. I still have and use a lot of it. That is where my second Rockchucker came from. I still have a 50 caliber can full of 223's that I loaded for him in 1979. Enjoy your father well you still have him.

P.S. I see in the picture that you wound up with some Winchester small pistol primers also. LOL!
Yes ... give or take 1500 spp... the one box was priced at $39 then it was marked DOWN to $35 ... you won't see that today ...

·
Registered
461 Posts
Sorry to hear about your Dad's condition. One of the last things I did with my Dad was to go to the shooting range. He even brought his targets home. Never seen him do that before. Grand River Range has handicapped tables. It's probably a long drive for you, but if you go early on a Thursday you might even get a range to yourselves.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Richard I inherited a lot of reloading equipment when my father-in-law passed 30 years ago. He was quite the loader, and taught me well. I still have all his hand written notes and he had this habit of writing in the manuals.....do this, don’t do that. That used to drive me nuts. Now when I see these notes I just shake my head and smile.

So what do I do? I write in the manuals.......Does it drive my Son nuts? You betcha. :p

Personally I’d save some of the loads. I still have some 7 Mag loads he put together, 20 loads in a plastic case....a long with a little piece of paper that has all the relevant numbers.

·
Registered
9,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry to hear about your Dad's condition. One of the last things I did with my Dad was to go to the shooting range. He even brought his targets home. Never seen him do that before. Grand River Range has handicapped tables. It's probably a long drive for you, but if you go early on a Thursday you might even get a range to yourselves.
Ironically, the last time him and I shot together was at Grand River and it was a miserable rainy day. We toughed it out as best we could but the rain was coming in under the shelter damn near horizontal. At some point he called it ... he had had enough ...

·
Registered
45 Posts
I won't go into the gory details, but visiting my parents today I got talking with my dad about reloading. He taught me what I know. He got me into firearms. Unfortunately, health issues have robbed him of his ability to do things for himself.
Such is life, it doesn't always give us the fairness we ask for. Just try to give your kids some good memories, like your Dad did with you. It's the best gift we can leave them. Lost my old man last year; it's just how it goes. Hope that I can leave my kids and grandkids with some memories that will one day make them smile. Cherish every day, and every moment.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Ironically, the last time him and I shot together was at Grand River and it was a miserable rainy day. We toughed it out as best we could but the rain was coming in under the shelter damn near horizontal. At some point he called it ... he had had enough ...
Richard,
I don't remember the last time I went shooting with my dad. I do remember the last gun show he and I went to. We ran over to the Wanamaker show in Tulsa and he bought a Browning Safari Grade in a 300 Win Mag for his collection. After he passed away, my mother gave each of us kids a rifle out of his collection, I chose that one. It was not the most expensive one that he owned, but it was the last one he ever bought. I still have it and maybe some day I will shoot it. I was also given a second rifle for helping mom dispose of his collection. It is a Remington 700 in 17 Rem. A friend of dad's gave it to him when he (his friend) could no longer shoot it because the recoil was to much for his diabetic eyes. I do shoot it occasionally. Pleasant memories.

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
I'd taken over reloading for Dad several years back and he gave me his equipment and components then and I enjoyed the memories they brought back from when he'd taught me how in the 60's.
I saw the writing on the wall when Dad dropped off his guns in the fall a few years later BEFORE hunting season. Not being ready to deal with it I put them in the corner to take care of later.
18 months later I worked up the gumption to give both his pre 64 Winchesters (.243 .270) a top to bottom scrubbing.
I'm still wondering why that day seemed like the day to do it since I got the dreaded call that evening.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Sir ... it would be a blessing to shoot one more time with him. But his pride won't let him be fussed over in public. The ranges I go to are all wheelchair accessible but he would never permit us to take him.
Preparing myself mentally for my parents as they age. However, I am more concerned about the in-laws. I have a feeling I will have to do most of the lifting vs. my brother and sisters (i.e., in-laws included).

If you can stomach bringing it up again, about going to the range, without making a scene, I would say it would be worth a try. Life is too short.

Oh, and...GO BLUE!

·
Registered
Mk II, Wrangler, LCPII .22 LR, EC9S, Security 9, P-85, RAR .17 HMR + .22 LR, + 10/22 Sporter
1,247 Posts
I won't go into the gory details, but visiting my parents today I got talking with my dad about reloading. He taught me what I know. He got me into firearms. Unfortunately, health issues have robbed him of his ability to do things for himself. So talking with him he told me to take some reloading supplies that he will never ever get to use. He even told me to take his reloaded ammo that he did a few years ago. I offered him money for everything he was giving but would have none of that. So, I'll use these supplies with a smile and shoot his reloads with a even bigger smile knowing mine will never be as good as his. Now I'm getting this damn dust in my eyes so I had better just stop while I'm ahead. View attachment 153012

Difficult time in all of our lives, but one of the most memorable also. Lost my father almost 20 years ago but my mother lived on to be 97yo + just passed last August. I sprung her out of a nursing home during this covid pandemic so she could spend the last 3 weeks of her live at her house. Made Marine boot camp seem like a cake walk. OTOH, far more fulfilling also. My best to your folks!

·
Registered
9,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks ... We do what we can and like your mom my parents are fortunate to still be in their house

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,899 Posts
Life is bittersweet that way. Be thankful for every moment you two get. My dad, who passed in 2002, and I never shared a hobby, aside from a love of travel. So when I go places we went together, I remember him.

My father-in-law taught me how to use farm and earth-moving equipment, for which I am forever grateful. I own and work three of his old tractors, some more than 70years old. They will go to family when I pass.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts