Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
9,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On another site someone posted how he overheard to young bucks say "I told you a boomer would buy that gun" ... the gun in question is a Ruger P94 and yes the dude who bought it is a baby boomer. So, I'll wear that moniker of a boomer and be dam proud of my "boomer gun" collection ...

·
Premium Member
4,342 Posts
I'm Boomer that likes older guns and older calibers. I just scored a 1982 S&W bolt action rifle chambered in 7x64 and I think its a very cool old rifle. Most young people probably have no idea S&W ever made a bolt action rifle and never heard of 7x64 Brenneke. However, it would be a mistake to dismiss me as a FUDD (I hate that term). It will sit in the safe along with my SCAR 17 and my suppressed AR pistol. It's good to be a Boomer with disposable income.

·
Registered
71 Posts
While not quite a boomer I still prefer steel guns. Only have one plastic fantastic. Just finally added a security six to the collection so I guess that makes me old.

On the very few times I go to a public range there is always some milenial with a glock, They are amazed at how my old man wheel gun put 6 shots in the x @25yards and they are shooting patterns @ 7yds.

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
I'm a Boomer with older guns than I am, my "boomer era" guns and some of the newer "hipster" guns. It's good to be a Boomer with disposable income.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Reminds me of the time the wife and I were at a car show with our GTO, and this young 20ish couple came up to check it out. Each had an Apple phone in one hand, Starbucks cup in the other, tats decorating most of their exposed body parts, and lots of hardware bolted to their faces. As they were looking and taking pictures, one says to me "it's always you old guys that have the kind of money it takes to own the best muscle cars" (or something like that). All I could say in response was "I guess we're just lucky".

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
Funny thing - growing up, I wasn’t considered to be in the “Baby Boom” demographic, which at that time covered people born 1945-1955. Later, the period extended to include people born through 1964 or 1965, which may be correct demographically, but not culturally. Thus, I am officially a “boomer”.

Anyway, I find it amusing that many “younger” people use the term “boomer” as an insult; every generation has its foibles - whether it’s conspicuous consumption and self-absorption or tattoos and endless angst.

As for particular guns being more preferred by the “boomer” generation, I suppose some people of that generation have nostalgia for the 1970s and 1980s of their youth, which would explain their occasional peculiar fascination with Gremlins and Pacers (you younger folks may have to look those up) as well as an attraction to Ruger P85s and P94s (although the P94 was introduced in the 1990s, it looks a lot like the blocky P85 and has a metallic frame).

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
I spent some time wondering what a “hipster” gun might be. I suppose one of the plastic-framed 9mm “wonder-nines” would fit the bill, timing-wise, but from my experience with local hipsters, it would probably be whatever gun Mom has in her basement.

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
I spent some time wondering what a “hipster” gun might be. I suppose one of the plastic-framed 9mm “wonder-nines” would fit the bill, timing-wise, but from my experience with local hipsters, it would probably be whatever gun Mom has in her basement.
Or has the sights mounted on the side :) But, maybe that's more "Gangstar" ;)

Reactions: Frank2041

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
Or has the sights mounted on the side :) But, maybe that's more "Gangstar" ;)
The local hipsters are going “gangsta” these days - dressing up in “black bloc” and rioting in the streets with BLM/ANTIFA. Many of them are carrying guns, too - even though they were all for banning guns a few years ago. Which is probably why I’ve lately been seeing more GSW patients with “man buns” and face piercings...

·
Registered
244 Posts
Funny thing - growing up, I wasn’t considered to be in the “Baby Boom” demographic, which at that time covered people born 1945-1955. Later, the period extended to include people born through 1964 or 1965, which may be correct demographically, but not culturally. Thus, I am officially a “boomer”.
That’s the issue with the real baby boomer generation, it’s huge. My father was born in ‘56 and was the youngest of 9. His siblings were spread fairly even over 30 years. No way that generation was contained to 10 years.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts