Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Sr. Exec. Button Monkey
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm going for something I never thought I would buy...
A polymer framed 9mm.
Which is an excellent segue into a question I've been meaning to post for a while.

What do you guys/girls think of the Walther PPQ vs. the Sig SP2022?
I've held each in my hands at different times, but need to do a side-by-side comparison.
Any opinions are most appreciated!

Thanks

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have an H&K P30 that has the same paddle style mag release and lever style slide release. Those controls work excellent for me so for that reason alone I would chose the PPQ. Never shot one so I can't say for sure but supposedly the PPQ has one of the best triggers on the market...not bad considering it is striker fired.

·
Wandering Sandlapper
3,282 Posts
I own both. Like both, and like is probably too timid a description.

Both are extremely good pistols, but very different.

The SP2022 is DA/SA hammer fired, changeable grips and the trigger can be swapped out fairly easily for the skinny trigger if you have small hands. It is as accurate, and apparently durable as it's metal framed brothers. A true Sig at an amazing value price.

The PPQ is SA (safety trigger) striker fired. Accurate, light with probably the best ergonomics I have ever felt in a handgun. Once you get used to the paddle mag releases you wish all your guns were equipped that way.

The PPQ trigger has the quickest reset I have found on any gun. It will reset far more quickly than you can get back on target. The pull is light (@ #4), a little pre-travel but clean quick break. It is as accurate as you are likely to be. Nothing short of phenomenal.

If I had a criticism of the PPQ, the striker is precocked, so the only thing preventing the discharge is a light safety action trigger. I'd only recommend as a carry gun for someone who spends a lot of time practicing draws, you want to keep your finger OFF the trigger.

If there is a criticism of the Sig it's the DA/SA trigger, while it is one of the best Sig triggers, mastering the DA/SA transition takes some range time. It's my favorite system for carry, but I shoot it a lot.

Which works best for you depends on skill level, desire and comfort with the action.

I prefer...:rolleyes: both! IMO the best two examples of their types (hammer/strike) of poly pistols available. Hope that clears things up ! :D

·
Registered
629 Posts
I have had both Walthers and Sigs and I really liked the Sigs much better, just my two cents. The Sigs were 100 per cent reliable and much more accurate for me than my Walthers. I would buy a Sig again, but not another Walther. In my area Sigs seem to hold their value more than Walthers and seem to sell much faster than Walthers on the used market if that means anything.

·
Sr. Exec. Button Monkey
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys -

I hear only good things about both.

The ergonomics on the PPQ felt really nice, I'm not concerned about CCW as I live in NJ and that's not an option. This is just for range use. As far as the magazine release, this will most likely be my only semi auto, so I won't have to really "learn" or "un-learn" anything. I shoot my "step" sons' AR-24 and Beretta PX4 Storm frequently enough, and my GF is getting her SR1911 any day now. So, I'm not a total novice when it comes to auto loaders.

I'm leaning towards the PPQ, so I can pretend to be 007. "Vul-tuhr" :cool:

·
Registered
673 Posts
Disclaimer: I do not own either pistol. I have friends who do, and have shot both.

Quick Advice: IMO, go for the Walther PPQ. The PPQ has the best stryker fire trigger I've ever felt.

Best Advice: Buy both. :)

Walther really did a good job on the PPQ's grip ergonomics. It looks odd, but feels great in the hand. The constant action stryker trigger is light & crisp with a short palpable reset. I was able to shoot 1" groups & under at 10 yards. Love the fit & finish. It's good to go out of the box*.

The SP2022 has a short SA trigger. It felt slightly gritty and a tad heavy breaking to me. I'm sure it will self-polish over a few hundred rounds, or a quick stone & polish of the trigger will work that out. DA trigger pull is decent for a semi-auto: stout for a good reason. The decocker + initial DA trigger pull would make this a great HD pistol for me. I'm on the fence about the nitron finish.

*Sights. Out of the box stock sights go to Sig. It's not that I am a fan of the Sig dot over dot sight picture. I am a 3-dot fan. It's the way the sights are mounted to the slide. It seems like the Walther designers took a break that day and let the "B" squad design them. If I owned either one, I'd swap out the sights.

·
Sr. Exec. Button Monkey
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks JaPes - good to know about the sights. I'll check it out. I'm about to call LGS's around here for "research purposes".

·
Sr. Exec. Button Monkey
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
While we were at the range/LGS today we spent a good amount of time looking at several 9mm's.
Upon further review I will be saving my pennies for the Walther PPQ.

·
Wandering Sandlapper
3,282 Posts

·
Sr. Exec. Button Monkey
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good choice! How did you like the trigger on it?
I liked the trigger on it very much. (Or as much as I can tell from dry firing. There was no PPQ that I could rent.)
I liked the overall ergonomics even more.

But now I have a new question.
How is the overall accuracy of the PPQ compared to a Mark III target model?
I'd like to get into something really accurate, and the cost of .22 ammo sure doesn't hurt. ;)

I feel like a teenage girl with her first crush... and her second crush... then back to her first...
You get what I mean.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I

But now I have a new question.
IMO, accuracy is 99.9% dependent on the nut behind the trigger. Apply good shooting fundamentals (grip, stance, sights, trigger control), and you will shoot any well maintained firearm well.

The big difference you will feel is the difference in recoil between .22lr rimfire v.s. 9mm center-fire. Practicing good fundamentals with your .22lr pistol will help your transition to a center-fire semi-auto pistol, but won't give you the same recoil impulse.

There's no other way to learn to deal with 9mm (or any other center-fire pistol caliber recoil) than to shoot, feel it for yourself, and make adjustments.

·
Wandering Sandlapper
3,282 Posts
I'd like to get into something really accurate, and the cost of .22 ammo sure doesn't hurt. ;)
Kinda like comparing apples and oranges.

The PPQ is extremely accurate, but handling the recoil and recovery on a centerfire is quite different than a rimfire.

The ergonomics and trigger make the PPQ an extremely easy gun to shoot accurately, but balance, aim, trigger control are what really determines accuracy.

Either will serve you well, but they are different guns for different purposes.

·
Sr. Exec. Button Monkey
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmmm...

I have no problem with recoil. None. I kind of like feeling like I'm shooting something. Next week I'm actually picking up my 4.2" Redhawk in .44 mag.

That Walther sure was sweet...

Aw crap...

·
Registered
630 Posts
I have the sp2022 in .40 and i love it. I have never even held the walther, but with how sweet my sp shoots, i wouldnt hesitate to buy another in 9mm.

·
Wandering Sandlapper
3,282 Posts
chanaski I have to say the PPQ is my favorite semi-auto, (except for my Sig P226, some things are just eternal).

If I didn't have one it would be at the top of my list.

·
Sr. Exec. Button Monkey
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@scooter89:
I hear VERY good things about the SP2022, but I just wasn't that thrilled with how it felt in my hand.

@JimB120:
I'm in!
I'd love a P226, but I could get almost 2000 rounds of 9mm for the difference in price!

·
Wandering Sandlapper
3,282 Posts
@JimB120:
I'm in!
I'd love a P226, but I could get almost 2000 rounds of 9mm for the difference in price!
I heard that!

You can get a good used P226 for about the same price as a new PPQ, and a previously exercised Sig classic is just getting broken in well. :D

Frankly I'd hate to have to make the choice between those two.

·
Sr. Exec. Button Monkey
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I heard that!

You can get a good used P226 for about the same price as a new PPQ, and a previously exercised Sig classic is just getting broken in well. :D

Frankly I'd hate to have to make the choice between those two.
Unfortunately, here in the Sheeple's Republik of NJ, the used guns are few and far between, there are no gun shows and I don't think that the pawn shops really have a big selection.
I don't even want to think what a nightmare an online, out-of-state firearm purchase might entail.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts