Ruger Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Sr. Exec. Button Monkey
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm going for something I never thought I would buy...
A polymer framed 9mm.
Which is an excellent segue into a question I've been meaning to post for a while.

What do you guys/girls think of the Walther PPQ vs. the Sig SP2022?
I've held each in my hands at different times, but need to do a side-by-side comparison.
Any opinions are most appreciated!

Thanks

625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys -

I hear only good things about both.

The ergonomics on the PPQ felt really nice, I'm not concerned about CCW as I live in NJ and that's not an option. This is just for range use. As far as the magazine release, this will most likely be my only semi auto, so I won't have to really "learn" or "un-learn" anything. I shoot my "step" sons' AR-24 and Beretta PX4 Storm frequently enough, and my GF is getting her SR1911 any day now. So, I'm not a total novice when it comes to auto loaders.

I'm leaning towards the PPQ, so I can pretend to be 007. "Vul-tuhr" :cool:

625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks JaPes - good to know about the sights. I'll check it out. I'm about to call LGS's around here for "research purposes".

625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
While we were at the range/LGS today we spent a good amount of time looking at several 9mm's.
Upon further review I will be saving my pennies for the Walther PPQ.

625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good choice! How did you like the trigger on it?
I liked the trigger on it very much. (Or as much as I can tell from dry firing. There was no PPQ that I could rent.)
I liked the overall ergonomics even more.

But now I have a new question.
How is the overall accuracy of the PPQ compared to a Mark III target model?
I'd like to get into something really accurate, and the cost of .22 ammo sure doesn't hurt. ;)

I feel like a teenage girl with her first crush... and her second crush... then back to her first...
You get what I mean.

Thanks guys.

625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmmm...

I have no problem with recoil. None. I kind of like feeling like I'm shooting something. Next week I'm actually picking up my 4.2" Redhawk in .44 mag.

That Walther sure was sweet...

Aw crap...

625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@scooter89:
I hear VERY good things about the SP2022, but I just wasn't that thrilled with how it felt in my hand.

@JimB120:
I'm in!
I'd love a P226, but I could get almost 2000 rounds of 9mm for the difference in price!

625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I heard that!

You can get a good used P226 for about the same price as a new PPQ, and a previously exercised Sig classic is just getting broken in well. :D

Frankly I'd hate to have to make the choice between those two.
Unfortunately, here in the Sheeple's Republik of NJ, the used guns are few and far between, there are no gun shows and I don't think that the pawn shops really have a big selection.
I don't even want to think what a nightmare an online, out-of-state firearm purchase might entail.:rolleyes:

625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
So how much does this s#ck?
I planned ahead and doubled down on my handgun permit last time so I could buy the Walther PPQ (after my "mandatory 30 day waiting period") and now that I'm ready to rock and roll, they are sold out at my preferred LGS!
Argh! I have the $ in my sweaty little hand and everything!
I hate to wait! I want my new toy NOW!

625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
There's a 9mm for $564 and a 40 for $550 on gunbroker.com right now. Do you have to start your waiting period over if you buy it from another dealer?

Did you have a deposit on it at your LGS?
I didn't have a deposit on it, but at $564, + NICS, + tax, + FFL I would pay less at the LGS. Plus, it's the range where we're members and we've bought our last 4 guns there.

The waiting period refers to NJ firearm regs, not the individual store/dealer. You have to wait 30 days between handgun purchases.

625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Well, sorry. You're right. That really sucks! But does it count as a purchase if you didn't receive your gun??? I used to live in CA, so I know how frustrating these types of laws can be. I live in AZ now where you're almost required to carry a gun! ;)
Thank God we're not required here in Jersey. (These people are CRAZY.)

Actually, I didn't order it, just ogled it for the past month or so. I emailed the store & by then it was gone. :(

I'll just have to wait...
and wait...
and wait some more...

625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Well the wait is over. Sort of...
I tried 3 times to get the PPQ, and was thwarted at every turn. Sold out from under me twice and hangups with my permit renewal over the Christmas holidays.
Anywhoo - when we went to the range this past Saturday, I had my permit in one hand and my MasterCard in the other. I figured if the PPQ was available, it's mine, if not then I'd snag the Sig.
The PPQ was not there, the Sig SP2022 was.
And then I was shown the Heckler & Koch P30L...
Game over. The grip is even MORE customizable than the Walther, it's SA/DA hammer fired, with a decocker & a safety. Plus it's got a longer barrel (4.5" vs 4").
The downside is that because everybody and their uncle is buying up anything they can get their hands on, the WICS system is logjammed. The LGS will fax in my info and I can take the P30L home in a couple days.
I did have a chance to shoot it though. Freaking AWESOME! Love it!
I only put about 50 rounds through it. I had one stovepipe, but blame myself for limpwristing. (I usually shoot my revolvers and have to hone my semi-auto skills.)

625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
jlh820 - I had both the SP2022 and the P226 MK25 in my hand doing a side-by-side comparison. For me, neither felt as comfortable as the P30L. And that was before I've even had a chance to tinker with the various backstraps and sideplates on the grip. The Sigs, while obviously a high quality piece of work, felt chunky by comparison.

KSR - I have the standard SA/DA trigger with safety and de-cocker. I almost bought the non-safety version, but at the last minute my GF walked over and asked if about the magazine capacity on both models. The safety version had the full 15 round mag, the other only the 10 round mag (same price). Decision made.

Pictures when I take custody of my new baby.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.