Ruger Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

· Registered
998 Posts
I give my Sig SP 2022 the nod in this comparison, I like the trigger better and the overall feel is just a more natural fit for me. I am partial to Sig's though so take my opinion "with a grain of salt". They're both fine handguns that would serve you well.

· Republican!!!
11,412 Posts
I don't have either of those particular pistols but I would lean towards the Sig. Walthers are a little too quirky for me, as in they like to do things differently. Both are good guns, as others have said. But try and shoot both before you buy to see which one (or both) you like best.

I had a hard time chosing between an XDm9c 3.8" and the SR9c. I bought the XDm. And shortly afterwards bought the SR9c. Both are outstanding considerations for a poly 9mm.

· Wandering Sandlapper
3,281 Posts
Unfortunately, here in the Sheeple's Republik of NJ, the used guns are few and far between, there are no gun shows and I don't think that the pawn shops really have a big selection.
I don't even want to think what a nightmare an online, out-of-state firearm purchase might entail.:rolleyes:
My condolences. :D

· Sr. Exec. Button Monkey
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
So how much does this s#ck?
I planned ahead and doubled down on my handgun permit last time so I could buy the Walther PPQ (after my "mandatory 30 day waiting period") and now that I'm ready to rock and roll, they are sold out at my preferred LGS!
Argh! I have the $ in my sweaty little hand and everything!
I hate to wait! I want my new toy NOW!

· Republican!!!
11,412 Posts
So how much does this s#ck?
I planned ahead and doubled down on my handgun permit last time so I could buy the Walther PPQ (after my "mandatory 30 day waiting period") and now that I'm ready to rock and roll, they are sold out at my preferred LGS!
Argh! I have the $ in my sweaty little hand and everything!
I hate to wait! I want my new toy NOW!
There's a 9mm for $564 and a 40 for $550 on gunbroker.com right now. Do you have to start your waiting period over if you buy it from another dealer?

Did you have a deposit on it at your LGS?

625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
There's a 9mm for $564 and a 40 for $550 on gunbroker.com right now. Do you have to start your waiting period over if you buy it from another dealer?

Did you have a deposit on it at your LGS?
I didn't have a deposit on it, but at $564, + NICS, + tax, + FFL I would pay less at the LGS. Plus, it's the range where we're members and we've bought our last 4 guns there.

The waiting period refers to NJ firearm regs, not the individual store/dealer. You have to wait 30 days between handgun purchases.

· Republican!!!
11,412 Posts
I didn't have a deposit on it, but at $564, + NICS, + tax, + FFL I would pay less at the LGS. Plus, it's the range where we're members and we've bought our last 4 guns there.

The waiting period refers to NJ firearm regs, not the individual store/dealer. You have to wait 30 days between handgun purchases.
Well, sorry. You're right. That really sucks! But does it count as a purchase if you didn't receive your gun??? I used to live in CA, so I know how frustrating these types of laws can be. I live in AZ now where you're almost required to carry a gun! ;)

625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Well, sorry. You're right. That really sucks! But does it count as a purchase if you didn't receive your gun??? I used to live in CA, so I know how frustrating these types of laws can be. I live in AZ now where you're almost required to carry a gun! ;)
Thank God we're not required here in Jersey. (These people are CRAZY.)

Actually, I didn't order it, just ogled it for the past month or so. I emailed the store & by then it was gone. :(

I'll just have to wait...
and wait...
and wait some more...

· Registered
144 Posts
Should grab that PPQ while you can. These are sold out everywhere at a decent price both in 9mm & ,40. Just check Buds, Grabagun, Etc. Seen some on Gunbroker but at $$$ prices. The SP2022 is a great value, I love mine and the price is great for a Sig product. I paid $389.00 for mine with tax. The choice is yours but there are plenty of SP2022s around right now compared to the PPQ.

625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Well the wait is over. Sort of...
I tried 3 times to get the PPQ, and was thwarted at every turn. Sold out from under me twice and hangups with my permit renewal over the Christmas holidays.
Anywhoo - when we went to the range this past Saturday, I had my permit in one hand and my MasterCard in the other. I figured if the PPQ was available, it's mine, if not then I'd snag the Sig.
The PPQ was not there, the Sig SP2022 was.
And then I was shown the Heckler & Koch P30L...
Game over. The grip is even MORE customizable than the Walther, it's SA/DA hammer fired, with a decocker & a safety. Plus it's got a longer barrel (4.5" vs 4").
The downside is that because everybody and their uncle is buying up anything they can get their hands on, the WICS system is logjammed. The LGS will fax in my info and I can take the P30L home in a couple days.
I did have a chance to shoot it though. Freaking AWESOME! Love it!
I only put about 50 rounds through it. I had one stovepipe, but blame myself for limpwristing. (I usually shoot my revolvers and have to hone my semi-auto skills.)

· Registered
998 Posts
Lucky for me I own both and each has it's strong points for me. Without boring you with my own reviews of either of mine I'll just go ahead and say that if I could only keep one it would be the Walther in this case. All my other Sig's are far superior weapons than either of these two models but my PPQ equals my 2022 in accuracy & reliability but has a far superior grip & trigger (for me) so in this case I give my nod to the Walther.

· Republican!!!
11,412 Posts
Well the wait is over. Sort of...
I tried 3 times to get the PPQ, and was thwarted at every turn. Sold out from under me twice and hangups with my permit renewal over the Christmas holidays.
Anywhoo - when we went to the range this past Saturday, I had my permit in one hand and my MasterCard in the other. I figured if the PPQ was available, it's mine, if not then I'd snag the Sig.
The PPQ was not there, the Sig SP2022 was.
And then I was shown the Heckler & Koch P30L...
Game over. The grip is even MORE customizable than the Walther, it's SA/DA hammer fired, with a decocker & a safety. Plus it's got a longer barrel (4.5" vs 4").
The downside is that because everybody and their uncle is buying up anything they can get their hands on, the WICS system is logjammed. The LGS will fax in my info and I can take the P30L home in a couple days.
I did have a chance to shoot it though. Freaking AWESOME! Love it!
I only put about 50 rounds through it. I had one stovepipe, but blame myself for limpwristing. (I usually shoot my revolvers and have to hone my semi-auto skills.)
Sounds like you made a good choice. I might have gone with the Sig, but none of them were bad choices.

· Banned
696 Posts
I too refused to accept the polymer frame guns as anything more than a toy or at best a lightweight option for dress carry. But I've been " saved, by the light. Or at least schooled"
They are very reliable and Taurus even offering the Judge 45/410 in a polymer frame.
Ya that's got be thinking from "why not" to " are you outta your fracking mind."

Time will tell I guess. But ill bet S&W and Taurus will sell a lot of 45/.410's in NY.

· Registered
274 Posts
Excellent choice with the P30L, which trigger did you get?

Pic of my P30.

625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
jlh820 - I had both the SP2022 and the P226 MK25 in my hand doing a side-by-side comparison. For me, neither felt as comfortable as the P30L. And that was before I've even had a chance to tinker with the various backstraps and sideplates on the grip. The Sigs, while obviously a high quality piece of work, felt chunky by comparison.

KSR - I have the standard SA/DA trigger with safety and de-cocker. I almost bought the non-safety version, but at the last minute my GF walked over and asked if about the magazine capacity on both models. The safety version had the full 15 round mag, the other only the 10 round mag (same price). Decision made.

Pictures when I take custody of my new baby.

· Republican!!!
11,412 Posts
jlh820 - I had both the SP2022 and the P226 MK25 in my hand doing a side-by-side comparison. For me, neither felt as comfortable as the P30L. And that was before I've even had a chance to tinker with the various backstraps and sideplates on the grip. The Sigs, while obviously a high quality piece of work, felt chunky by comparison.
Sounds like you made the right choice by examining them yourself and made sure that you would be happy with what you've got.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.