Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you are no doubt aware, "recreational" marijuana became legal in Oregon in October of this year. This has not led to mass chaos in the streets of Portland and Eugene, as was predicted by some (although it might be difficult to detect an uptick in chaos in those cities, given the background level of weirdness). It has, however, led to a lot of people rushing to scale up their "medical" marijuana businesses to deal with the expected surge in demand.

Sadly, not all of these businesses have been upstanding, licensed operations following good business and manufacturing practices. In addition, federal law (and the DoJ's "Operation Choke Point") mean that marijuana-related businesses can't open bank accounts, so they have to deal in cash, which is typically stored on site.

All of this may seem interesting but irrelevant to this forum, but believe me, it all ties together in the end.

Saturday night, I was dealing with a few minor injuries and illnesses in a small rural hospital ER when a call came in that there had been a fire and explosion with injuries. We cleared the decks for action and got a helicopter ambulance on standby to evacuate possible burn victims to the university burn center. Then the call came in that we had multiple gunshot victims inbound. It took several minutes to clear up the confusion and establish that these were all the same incident. As the ambulances - and sheriff's deputies - began to arrive, the story gradually became clearer.

A local "medical" marijuana shop, which had recently converted to the "recreational" trade (with many of the same customers), was whipping up a batch of "hash oil" - a powerful marijuana resin produced by extracting marijuana with a solvent and then evaporating the solvent. The solvent they were using was butane, so to keep it liquid longer, they were doing the extraction in a refrigerator. Unfortunately, butane is still pretty volatile at refrigerator temperatures and refrigerators have compressor motors that can provide a source of ignition.

That night, the inevitable happened and the refrigerator exploded, blowing out the door and all of the windows in the back room where the refrigerator was located. Nobody was in the room at the time, so there were no injuries...at least, not immediately.

Hearing the blast, the owners of the establishment - who had been performing "quality testing" on some of their wares in the office - apparently assumed that their business was being robbed (a common occurrence, for both the marijuana and the cash) and rushed to the sound of the blast with pistols drawn. At the same time, the employees behind the counter - who had also been sampling the product - drew their guns and rushed toward the sound of the blast, but through a different door.

The story gets pretty garbled at this point, but the bottom line is that two groups of people (five in total) rushed into a smoke- and dust-filled room and saw each other with guns drawn and each group assumed that the other was a band of robbers and opened fire. According to the deputies, at least fifty (50) rounds were fired. Two (2) rounds connected with human beings (none requiring more than a good cleaning and a band-aid) and one customer sustained a nasty gash to the scalp when he hit the edge of the counter while diving for the floor.

At the risk of inflaming the "420" crowd, I would like to suggest that if it isn't a good idea to handle firearms when drinking alcohol (it isn't, if anyone was in doubt), then the same applies when using marijuana.

Jim

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Federal law (and the DoJ's "Operation Choke Point") mean that marijuana-related businesses can't open bank accounts, so they have to deal in cash, which is typically stored on site.
And this is different than the back alley drug dealer how? :confused:

Something about the law of unintended consequences comes to mind.

50 shots and two connections. Perhaps they should have trained more. Or perhaps it is fortunate they didn't. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
805 Posts
I have to wonder about this question. On the form 4473 there is a question about being a habitual user or drugs and marijuana. I have to wonder how these fine citizens answered that question? I also wonder if the federales will pursue prosecution for possible violations of the laws that apply to truthfully filling out the 4473?????

·
Registered
846 Posts
I have to wonder about this question. On the form 4473 there is a question about being a habitual user or drugs and marijuana. I have to wonder how these fine citizens answered that question? I also wonder if the federales will pursue prosecution for possible violations of the laws that apply to truthfully filling out the 4473?????
I wondered the same thing max. Weed and Guns don't belong together anymore than alcohol and guns do. Can one get a carry permit in one of the weed sanctuary states when you're a user?

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very good point, since while several states have legalized marijuana, it is still an illegal (DEA Class 1) drug under federal law. Since the 4473 is a federal form, someone who is a habitual user of marijuana - even if it is legal in their state - should answer "yes" to that question.

Jim

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Jim, Jim, Jim . . . . . . . you guys are just beginning. ;)

Wait until you get the MJ edibles. And the dummies that eat one, figure it
is not working, so they eat two or three more, or . . . . .

Then with the candy, the packaging, and kids.

You guys just opened the jar, what you will find inside is nasty. :eek:

Wish we could get rid of it here. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jim, Jim, Jim . . . . . . . you guys are just beginning. ;)

Wait until you get the MJ edibles. And the dummies that eat one, figure it
is not working, so they eat two or three more, or . . . . .

Then with the candy, the packaging, and kids.

You guys just opened the jar, what you will find inside is nasty. :eek:

Wish we could get rid of it here. :rolleyes:
Pat,

I not only work in the ER, I also spend several days a month working at a drug treatment center for the indigent and homeless. And just because they weren't legal doesn't mean the edibles, shatter and all the rest weren't available.

No matter how much the pro-marijuana supporters may claim that nothing will change for the worse, I find that hard to imagine. I've already seen people who had never used marijuana before (or who haven't used it since the 1980's) brought in because they weren't prepared for the potency of 21st century marijuana.

Jim

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
I thought this was going to be about the burglar recently who tried to break in by climbing in through the chimney. The residents didn't know he was there and lit a fire in the fireplace.

Holy Burglar Barbecue, Batman!

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I can totally see this scenario playing out in a Scorsese film. Done in a Pulp Fiction style.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,546 Posts
I hope they can get high and shoot each other while not hurting the innocent.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
I can see that medical Marjuana has its place with chronic pain & other medical problems. I suffer from constant chronic pain.........but this "Recreational Marjuana" is total BS!!! Where I live in Utah there are many times I think that I should take a trip to Colorado. But with all the problems & trouble that has been described in this thread that can happen. My feelings are I can see the medical Marjuana has its place to help the people that really need it. But outlaw & get rid of the recreational Marjuana!!!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
But outlaw & get rid of the recreational Marjuana!!!
That worked out real well during Prohibition - not. I don't drink or smoke either, but trying to control the supply end is a lost cause. The only hope is to control the demand end, and yeah, that's not working out so well either.

·
"The Real Deal"
8,039 Posts
I thought this was going to be about the burglar recently who tried to break in by climbing in through the chimney. The residents didn't know he was there and lit a fire in the fireplace.

Don't laugh we got dispatched one night when i was assigned to the 105' ladder company at the FD by PD for a guy trapped in an exhaust pipe for a grill, the burglar decided to slip into the pipe, well the grease residue inside made it so he could not climb back out, he got wedged into place, so when his feet were discovered sticking out the bottom above the grill the next morning they called PD, and we had to figure out how to get him out. He then took a ride to jail once extricated.

Ok so the fridge blew up, every one was stoned, and shot each other, a new occupational hazard.:D

·
Registered
846 Posts
That worked out real well during Prohibition - not. I don't drink or smoke either, but trying to control the supply end is a lost cause. The only hope is to control the demand end, and yeah, that's not working out so well either.
I don't know slim, the Chinese seem to have a handle on it.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Sounds to me like the Dr. Jim/Officer Jim Full Employment Act. :D

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

I saw that in the paper - what a horrifying experience for everyone involved. Even the homeowner, who will probably remember those screams every time he uses the fireplace.

Interesting that you bring up Prohibition, since there are so many parallels. Prohibition did reduce the per capita consumption of alcohol - somewhat - but the good was offset by the increase in binge drinking, the consumption of tainted alcohol (methanol and worse - look up "Jake leg"), the romanticization of alcohol and a massive economic boost to criminal organizations. Not to mention some of the worst violations of civil rights by the battalions of new Treasury agents (many of whom ended up in what would eventually become the BATFE).

Another useful lesson from Prohibition was the massive increase in alcohol consumption after it was repealed, which led to a significant increase in admissions for alcohol poisoning and alcohol withdrawal.

So, yes, Prohibition didn't work to get everybody to stop drinking, but when it was repealed, the drinking "problem" in the US was far worse than it was before.

Sounds to me like the Dr. Jim/Officer Jim Full Employment Act. :D
When people ask me my opinion on marijuana legalization, that's what I tell them: as a physician, it will increase the number of patients I see (for a variety of reasons). As for my work as a reserve police officer (for which I don't get paid), it's led to an increase in the number of entertainingly intoxicated people I deal with in an average shift. Drunks, truth be told, are rarely very entertaining by the time the police are called. Marijuana users, on the other hand, can be very entertaining. And they almost never throw up in the back seat of a police car.

Jim

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Any benefits from using or legalizing marijuana are far outweighed by the negatives... I have a close family member who has used too long and suffers with marijuana-induced psychosis. It's devastating on him and family.

Legalizing it simply means more people will suffer.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts