Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if any of you folks weld, but a freind of mine gave me an auto-dark welding helemt by Speedglas, and it works great. My welds look cleaner, and I can spend a lot less time grinding. I don't need the arc to walk the weld when I miss the joint. If you weld, I totaly recomed one of the auto-darkening helmets.

My old Hobart helmet is going to the back of the shelf!

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Times have changed!!! When I was a pup, I worked a year as a fitter's helper...$2.19 per hour in the Boilermaker's Union....we had to change our helmet lens if we wanted it to change...mine was so dark my uncle(poor man, he was my fitter...trying to teach me)couldn't use it...and my eyes never burned but his did....I had to strike an arc to see the seam....he could get burned from across the shop...but he wouldn't wear a dark lens....I didn't enjoy that work...least of my favorites was when I worked in the stainless shop and had to weld that stuff.....on my first day, they sent me all over the shops asking to borrow a skyhook...........:(

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I have & use both kinds of auto-darkening helmets. Beats the hell out of a # 9 or a # 12 fixed lense! I really don't have a preference between the two, they both work well.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Used to work maintenance in a coal mine and we had to weld, our only lens was dark the reflection off the white rock dusted ribs bounced off the inside of the hood and always ended up red eyed. Never did get very good at it though and sure took a lot of good natured ribbing about my welding looking like the bottom of a buzzard roost.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Used to work maintenance in a coal mine and we had to weld, our only lens was dark the reflection off the white rock dusted ribs bounced off the inside of the hood and always ended up red eyed. Never did get very good at it though and sure took a lot of good natured ribbing about my welding looking like the bottom of a buzzard roost.
:D

I might have heard the same thing myself...only it was chickens.:)

With the new MIG welders though, just about any body can weld.

I sill stick weld a little at my dads house (he has the classic red Lincoln) when I have to do thick or dirty stuff, but I always perfer to run my flux-cored MIG.

I don't know if this is true or not, but I heard that MIG welding was devoloped by the US government so women could quickly learn to weld during WWII. With the men folk gone fighting Rosie the Riveter needed to learn welding too!

·
Registered
312 Posts
We had what they called bonders. Just a box with about six different sized dc resistors that you plugged into for your heat and all one sized rods. Dont remember the size but 710 or 732 seems to stick in my mind. Lord that was better than 30 years ago.

·
Registered
842 Posts
After working for 35 yrs as a pipe fitter and with a whole slue of welders of all different ages, I could tell some real stories about some of them. Good and bad, some funny as hell and others pure D aggravation.:D
When I retired the first two things I gave away to other workers was my welding hood and that damnable hard hat!!:)
Baker

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
For some reason welding was one of my favorite parts of being a carpenter, millwright, piledriver all in the Carpenter's Union. Torchie was another of my nicknames, because I could carry the full size gas and air tanks in 2 foot of snow most anywhere at onetime.

That way I could always use the torches when I wanted and stay warm if need be. The welders also could be the prima donna's of most outside construction sites. Construction work provided a lot of good times and great fellowship, although all my buddies have passed on. Hard men, hard lives.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I worked a good number years as a millwright and we welded almost on a daily bases. I enjoyed it but I got off into trucking during one slack season and the rest was history.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts