Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hello everybody. I'm new to the gun world. What would be best for my wife(5 ft. tall, 115 pounds). Like me, she's a newbie. The gun would be for home/personal defense. Please advise as to caliber, semi auto or revolver and length of barrel. Many thanks

·
Super Moderator
16,330 Posts
Marty ... Welcome from a fellow Buckeye in SW Ohio ... Glad to have you aboard!

Regarding a gun for your wife, since there are so many variables in addition to height & weight, I would recommend that you find a reputable gun store in your area (one interested in your business for the long term) that will take the time to evaluate her needs, and who has a wide variety of guns that your wife can handle and rent/shoot if possible. If you care to share your general location, the Ohio contingent here may be able to assist with a referral.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
welcome from nevada! i'm a relative newbie here, too-- just joined at the beginning of last summer. ultimately, it's going to boil down to what she's most comfortable handling, as a handgun she's not comfortable with isn't much of a defensive weapon. if it was me i'd rent an sr22, an lcp 380, and an lc9 (just sticking within the ruger family, don't you know) and see what fits her hand best, what recoil she's ok with, etc, and consider caliber from there.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
+1. "Right-on, right-on"!

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Welcome from Australia mate.
Glad to have you on board, nice folk here and lots of good info.

·
The Shooterologist
3,992 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I would buy her something that I like, when she doesn't like it....I would have another gun. Keep doing this until she gets one she likes.:) Just kidding of course, I like Bucks advice!

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
First off welcome aboard from North Carolina,
Great advice so far, but don't forget to try revolvers as well. Many people have difficulty racking a slide, and then you have the issues of using a safety, or not. Take your time and find what works best.

·
Registered
673 Posts
BuckJM53 said:
Regarding a gun for your wife, since there are so many variables in addition to height & weight, I would recommend that you find a reputable gun store in your area (one interested in your business for the long term) that will take the time to evaluate her needs, and who has a wide variety of guns that your wife can handle and rent/shoot if possible. If you care to share your general location, the Ohio contingent here may be able to assist with a referral.
This is the best advice.^^^

The relationship between the size of a handgun (full size, compact, sub-compact, pocket pistol) and ease of shooting is counter-intuitive. The larger the frame, the easier it is to shoot.

For example, the difference between a 9mm Full Size and the newest 9mm sub-compact single stacks. A 9mm round will produce the same energy regardless of the handgun from which it's fired. The larger frame firearm has more mass to it to help mitigate recoil energy than a smaller one. To make up for the decreased mass, the smaller pistol uses a stronger recoil spring. This makes racking the slide takes a stronger movement. The larger frame has a longer sight radius, aiding in aiming.

You said that your purpose was "home/personal defense". My opinion...

If the handgun is going to be home defense & you're not going to conceal carry, buy a full size, polymer frame, striker fire, 9mm pistol that best fits your hand. If possible rent the gun. What feels in good in the hand while static, may feel completely different under live fire.

If the handgun is going to be for home defense & you plan on conceal carry, buy a compact size, polymer frame, striker fire, 9mm pistol that best fits your hand. If possible rent the gun. What feels good in the hand while static, may feel completely different under live fire.

Why 9mm? Because it's one of the most affordable center-fire ammo calibers. Less expensive ammo = more trigger time. You only earn better shooting skills through practice. Also when used for home defense, tritium night sights & a light/laser accessory are extremely helpful.

Again, this is my opinion you do what you feel...

Since you're both new, please consider enrolling in a NRA Basic Pistol course. The instructor will take you through the basics of safe firearms handling & basic shooting fundamentals (grip, stance, sight picture, trigger press). After the basic course, you can try to hire the instructor for some one-on-one time. Tell the instructor that you're looking to buy your first gun, and if he or she has different guns you can try out during your paid instruction session. After that, see if there are any courses beyond basics that you are interested in taking.

As I mentioned earlier, practice makes perfect. Ammo prices can make frequent practice sessions cost prohibitive, even with 9mm. Sometimes ammunition availability can make frequent practice sessions impractical. My best advice for a new shooter is to purchase a Ruger MKIII or Ruger 22/45 .22lr pistol. While the .22lr pistol will not teach you how to mitigate recoil, it will let you practice the basic fundamentals of stance, grip, sights, and trigger press. When applied properly, the basic fundamental skills will let you shoot any handgun well.

.22lr ammunition can be purchased in a 550 round "brick" at your local Wal-Mart for about $20 (in my area). The low cost of .22lr ammunition provides frequent & low cost practice. Warm up with the .22lr to work out the kinks, then transition to the center fire pistol.

You can buy a single MKIII or 22/45 to share.

·
Banned
208 Posts
Marty ... Welcome from a fellow Buckeye in SW Ohio ... Glad to have you aboard!

Ditto.

There's no way for us to tell what would be a good gun for your wife....she needs to go handle and shoot some herself and decide.

·
Registered
10,286 Posts
Welcome to the forum Marty

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,890 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

·
The Original Magic Man
744 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum from Stone Mountain Georgia. My wife is about the same size as your wife and I found that the best solution was a 20gauge shotgun for the primary home defense weapon and a 38 revolver loaded with critical defense +P ammo. My wife found it difficult to rack the slide on a pistol plus revolvers are inherently more reliable than a pistol. It is important that your wife is comfortable with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Welcome from the high deserts of the west. Any 38 cal. in a quality revolver is a good defence weapon for a women.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Welcome.... I love my SR 22 to help me transition to a Ruger 9mm...

·
Skeptical of Everything
3,655 Posts
Welcome from the Central Coast of California.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin.

Given that there is a huge amount of personal preference involved in selecting a gun for SD, I'd try to get some shooting experience under my belt with a variety of guns before making a decision. A great way to do that is to take an instruction class on basic pistol shooting. Ultimately, you will choose the type of gun that you are most confident and comfortable in shooting. I think the structured environment of a class is even more important for us gals, because it can all be a bit intimidating to get started. Be great if there were other gals in the class, too.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.