Ruger Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Welcome from Colorado. I know it is not a Ruger but wife loves her Sig P239. She had to have the two tone SAS version. It is a very smooth shooting little pistol. There are definitley smaller, but overall it is very accurate and easy to shoot.

· Registered
1,844 Posts
Marty ... Welcome from a fellow Buckeye in SW Ohio ... Glad to have you aboard!

Regarding a gun for your wife, since there are so many variables in addition to height & weight, I would recommend that you find a reputable gun store in your area (one interested in your business for the long term) that will take the time to evaluate her needs, and who has a wide variety of guns that your wife can handle and rent/shoot if possible. If you care to share your general location, the Ohio contingent here may be able to assist with a referral.
Yes, excellent advice - nothing better than seeing, holding, working the mechanics of the gun - see what fits her best.

Welcome from West Virginia

· Registered
549 Posts
Greetings and Welcome from the Outer Banks of North Carolina, "The Tar Heel State"...My vote would be for the SR22..My wife is her size and she loves the feel of it...

· Registered
2,178 Posts
Welcome from Orlando.

As far as a weapon goes, deffinately go to a gunshop and ask for help. You and your wife can try different ones and see what fits your hand, feels right, and has a weight you and her are comfortable with. If you are getting only one gun, both of you need to be able to use it effectively. Rent some and see how the recoil is.
Being new to guns you should consider revolvers. They are simple and practically fool proof. I would recommend a 4" .357. This will give you the option of the extra power later if you want it.

Summer in N.D.? Maybe down in the south end, Minot way, not so much. We would get a little better than 60 degrees in the summer. It wouldn't be so bad then if it wasn't for the winds.

· Registered
3,731 Posts
Welcome from Wonderful Wyoming.

· Registered
1,377 Posts
First, welcome from Missouri. Glad to have you with us.

I went through this process with my wife a couple of years ago. My wife is 4'10" and has small, weak hands and arms.

I would recommend you take your wife to a range that rents guns, if there's one near you, and let her try several. I did that with my wife and she settled on a SP101 DAO with Crimson Trace grips. She shoots only standard pressure .38's through it. Semi-autos are problematic with my wife...she shoots them well but can't rack the slide on most of them. She doesn't practice often enough for the manual-of-arms to be second nature to her with a semi, so a revolver is best for her. Your wife may be perfectly comfortable with a semi-auto; letting her try both is the best way to find out.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.