Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Grandpa also talks of working all day for $.50---buying .22 short HP two boxes for a quarter...two questions? One-the 30-30 Smokeless Marlin---wonder if Marlin invented the 30-30? Two-why with laser-guided computer-driven machinery, do the majority of new guns lack the quality, fit, and finish that was common and expected back then and up until the late 60's? Marlin used to come out of the box perfect at least most of the time---following the marlinowners forum the last year, I've decided to make mine a Ruger .44 levergun---too many crooked sights-failure to feed-twisted barrels, etc. in new Marlins-why manufacturers think we'll keep buying when their quality is careless I don't know-my money comes too hard...

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats why I like them older Marlins and Winchester lever action rifles... the older, the better.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Some from the 60's are so slick and easy in the action it makes the new ones hang their heads...the only thing is that I wish they'd had stainless then-sure like that stainless....

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
I have some older blued guns, but all the new guns I buy are stainless. With the humidity here, blued guns are hard to keep from rusting. Guess beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, but I like the looks of the dull gray bead blasted stainless.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

This is my project for my Marlin Glenfield for this year. The stock first from Treebone Carving. I haven't decided on the barrel or not, its fine with me round.

From this:

To this:

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
That looks like an old one-I'd rather have my barrels round-and I like stainless dull-the only hi-gloss one I've seen I want was a Bisley Vaquero-it was enough to make me want to go to a BBQ just to show it off...I'm not much of a woodworker-keep us up with your progress!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I'm like you JB, I like old guns, especially levers. I can' afford it now but would like to get a 92 winchester in .45 colt if I can find one. I have a marlin in .444 that was smoothed up nicely by buffing up all the interior parts. I'm like Sheepdog, the wood work would be the challenge.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
thanks JB those were some high prices in those days

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
this is probably not a one sentence answer kind of question. But what are the big differences between a model 92 and model 94 Winchester?

·
Registered
56 Posts
The main differences between these two rifles is the locking bolts. The 94 is basically a falling block design. It has a single piece of metal that comes up behind the bolt as it closes, and falls as the action is opened. The 92 has two locking bolts that come up into notches on the end of the bolt to lock it in place when the action is closed. The 92 is a stronger action, but the 94 is often mistaken to be weak, and it isn't as weak as some want to bad mouth it. The other main differences is that the 92 is closed off at the bottom of the receiver, and the 94 has a piece that comes down and the receiver is open during the cycle of the action. This is also why the 94 was valued so much during the Klondike gold fields. This open receiver, and action allowed the gun to withstand colder temps, and not freeze up. The butt stock is cut different inside. The 92 was primarily made for pitol cartridges, and the 94 was made for the .30-30 cartidge. It has been manufactured in pistol, and rifle cartridges. The 92 was always manufactured as a top ejection gun, and the 94 in later versions was made to eject cases out at an angle.
The best ways to fully understand the teo guns find schematics for them, and read all the parts, and study the drawings it will help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts