Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In October I am coming home for a month of leave. During this time I would like to get the process started for getting my CCW. What is it that I need to do for this? I have read on other posts that its a application with the sheriff and a class. Where do I have to sign up for the class? What else is involed with getting the permit?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
This link takes you to the Kansas Attorney General's website:

http://www.ksag.org/home/

Click on the Concealed Carry Link. There you will find an on line application, a Questions & Answers segment, details on the the law, list of certified trainers, etc.

In general, it goes like this:
Locate a certified trainer from the web site and complete an 8-hour course. Fill out the on line application and print it. Take it along with 2 pass port size photos, your firearms training certificate and your driver's license to the county sheriff's office in your county of residence. Take 2 checks with you - one in the amount of $40.00 made out to the county sheriff, and one in the amount of $110.00 made out to Office of the Attorney General. There you will be finger printed and they will forward your info to the KBI for a background investigation. The AG's office will notify you no sooner than 45 days and no later than 90 days. You then take your notification to the nearest driver's license examining station along with $15.00.

It's long, it's complicated, it's expensive, but it's worth it! Good luck.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Those payments to the AG and Sheriff must be Money orders. Not a personal check.
Other than that rman nailed the requirements.

tk

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
quote:Originally posted by tkarter

Those payments to the AG and Sheriff must be Money orders. Not a personal check.
Other than that rman nailed the requirements.

tk
[:I]You're absolutely right Tom! Too many details...memory ain't what it used to be.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Easy to understand a few details missed.:)

Lots of hoops to jump through to wait a long time to get a carry permit too.

tk

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
That's an aweful lot of money! I'm in NH and it cost me $10. I'm guessing that the class will cost more? Is this a one time deal, or do you have to pay every so often to keep the permit? I have to renew every 4 years. I don't know what it will cost or what will be required next time. I may have to set my backside on fire and jump through a few hoops while singing show tunes.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Your state's just trying to arm all the natives cheaply so you can help repel the invading hordes...from Mass.:D

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Bountyhunter

That's an aweful lot of money! I'm in NH and it cost me $10. I'm guessing that the class will cost more? Is this a one time deal, or do you have to pay every so often to keep the permit? I have to renew every 4 years. I don't know what it will cost or what will be required next time. I may have to set my backside on fire and jump through a few hoops while singing show tunes.
I don't really have any info on renewal. Ours are for 4 years also. As I understand it, we will have to take an abbreviated refresher course, (hopefully it will be cheaper) and pay a renewal fee. (Don't know what that will be yet.) You're lucky - I think I figured I spent $300 to get mine.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Tom the renewal is a 50 dollar money order to the Sheriff and a 50 dollar money order to the AG.

Once again you pay for the training course. I will have to look up the hours required for renewal.

It is all spelled out in the Personal and families protection act.

sub section. 75-7c08

tk

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
quote:Originally posted by tkarter

Tom the renewal is a 50 dollar money order to the Sheriff and a 50 dollar money order to the AG.

Once again you pay for the training course. I will have to look up the hours required for renewal.

It is all spelled out in the Personal and families protection act.

sub section. 75-7c08

tk
Thanks!:D

·
Registered
302 Posts
Took me awhile to find it but the renew training is 2 hours and to consist of changes in Kanas carry laws and licenseing.

I would imagine the renewal courses traing to cost 50 dollars too.

tk

·
Registered
302 Posts
To the OP there is no need to fill out that online application until you have completed your training course.

The way it goes in a nutshell.

Take 8 hour training course. Shoot to qualify. 18 of 25 shots.

Get passport photo and fill out online application. Print that out paste photo in required spot.

Get a 40 dollar money order for the sheriff in the county of your residence. Get 110 dollar money order the the AG.

Go to your county sheriff and hand all that over. You will be finger printed and wait no longer than 90 days to either be issued a carry license or know the reason you were refused.

those are some long 90 days too.
tk

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
And if refused you probably don't get your money back I'm betting. Looks like KS found another way to milk the taxpayer.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
quote:Originally posted by jimbo1096

And if refused you probably don't get your money back I'm betting. Looks like KS found another way to milk the taxpayer.
You're probably right about not getting the money back. Kansas is a must issue state though, so there has to be a good reason to refuse your application. As long as you pass the background check, the classroom and the live fire test, you are guaranteed a permit. You're right though...I think the State was more concerned about another source of revenue than the well-being of their citizens.

·
Registered
302 Posts
No return of any money spent in the process.

The only thing that seemed to me like was other than red tape was the fact that the sheriff that did the finger prints for me complimented me on going through the BS to get it and promised to send it is quckly from their office.

tk

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
That's amazing. We don't get finger printed here in NH. I don't know why anyone would. You don't get finger printed to buy the gun, correct? I know I don't. Do any of you have to register your CCW guns? I can carry whatever I want as long as it's not stolen. :)

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Bountyhunter

That's amazing. We don't get finger printed here in NH. I don't know why anyone would. You don't get finger printed to buy the gun, correct? I know I don't. Do any of you have to register your CCW guns? I can carry whatever I want as long as it's not stolen. :)
Nope - that's one good thing here. You can carry anything that is legal under ATF regs.

·
Registered
404 Posts
You'll find all the information you need to know about Kansas training courses, application, wait times, and pending legislation at www.ksccw.com.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks to everybody for the info! This is just the infomation that i was looking for. Sorry about the late thanks I have had alot on my plate lately.

Looking at the reciprocity for a Kansas permit on the AGs website, Nebraska isnt listed. This would be a very bad thing for me cause that is my next assignment. I guess i need to make some inquires with Nebraska's AG to find out the latest. If it doesnt look like NE will honor a Kansas permit anytime soon then i will have to change my perment residence.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I called them last month on another member's behalf ..NO, we do not...he was a Kansan also...Kansas honors NE-it's silly that it's not both ways...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts