Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you ever feel 'under-gunned' because of the lack of ammo capacity? Do your revolvers feel chunkier and less comfortable? How many speed loaders do you carry? How do you carry yours (IWB, ankle, pocket)? Anything else I should know?

See I'm pretty new to handguns; I purchased my first pistol in March '12, an SR22, so I could shoot on the cheap and go with friends to our local indoor range. Shortly after I found myself taking the gun with me in the glovebox, and from there got more and more interested in CC'ing.

As of this instant I now have two handguns, both .22s, the aforementioned SR22, and my grandpa's old truck gun - an H&R Model 929 'sidekick'. I was never really interested in revolvers until I got his, and I've kinda fell in love with them. That and I made the mistake of holding an LCR while window shopping one day. It felt amazing in my hand and my mind keeps wandering back to it.

I am currently waiting on my CCDW License to arrive and am starting to shop around much more aggressively for a new carry gun. To this point pretty much the only thing I am fairly certain about is I want something in 9mm or .38 sp (semiauto & revolver respectively). Several friends of mine carry .40 and hotter loads and I just do not enjoy shooting them, or their higher ammo costs.

I am of the opinion that reliability between a GOOD semi-auto (Sigs/Glocks etc) and a revolver are pretty close to a wash, still advantage Revolver though.

I love the thought of the LCRs size/weight and feel in hand, as well as the ease of use under stress; aim and squeeze the trigger, no safety to fumble with, no jamming, and the ability to contact shoot - which is a disgusting thought in itself, but you never know :/

The semi-auto advantages for me are, familiarity (not just because of my SR22, but all of my friends carry them as well and I've spent time with their guns), MUCH higher capacity, light rails, magazine reloads being much quicker and so on. The majority of my buddies carry Glocks - I know they're awesome, but part of the turn off for me is how it seems like every Glock owner has diarrhea of the mouth about how awesome their Glock is lol. My other friend has a .40 Sig (not sure on the exact model) that has the best trigger I've ever shot, but it also doesn't have a safety - at least the Revolver has that heavier tug. I'd personally be terrified to carry a chambered round in a gun like that.

Thoughts? Any other guns I should look for?

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
I enjoy shooting my revolvers, and generally they are more reliable, but not foolproof.
My last three purchases have all been revolvers, the latest being a Ruger Single Ten used strictly for target shooting. Revolvers are fun to shoot, feel good in the hand.

For most semi-auto 22 pistols, reliability seems to be very dependent on the brand of ammo you shoot, and keeping it clean in key areas.

That said, I also own a Springfield XD40 that has been absolutely reliable, and digests even the cheap and dirty Winchester "White Box" target ammo with ease. With 5 full magazines it can put a lot of rounds down range in a few seconds. If I was going to war with someone, that's the gun I would grab, probably with my S&W 38 snubby in my pocket for backup.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I carried a revolver on and off duty for many years and never felt under gunned. I plan to purchase a S&W 642 or 638 for pocket carry after I retire from LE as well as a Charter Arms Undercover. My rational is the CAU weighs less than my S&W M 60 and will be useful for training and rotational carry. The LCR in 357 Magnum is interesting but I want to wait a bit longer on this one.

·
Banned
208 Posts
First of all, Rugers are fantastic pistols that are perfectly fine for concealed carry....don't limit yourself to just 2 brands.

Second, 99% of people carrying will never have to discharge their weapon. Of those 1% who do have to defend themselves, the majority only have to fire twice. 2 bullets.

If you have to empty a magazine AND reload another, you put yourself in the wrong situation to begin with and you likely won't get out unharmed/alive.

Carry whatever is comfortable for you. The pros of a revolver are that it goes boom every time...no jams, no racking, no safety. The pros of a semi are mag capacity, the shape/weight (for some).

Also, if you choose to carry revolver, try to carry a .357 mag even if you shoot .38s...less recoil, plus you have the option of the heavier ammo.

Make your choice based on fact, not fear.

I carry a 5 shot SP101 .357 loaded with .38 special hollow points and I feel plenty safe and prepared.

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
I pocket carry a LCR-357 with .38 Hornady XTPs, and a Speed Strip full of same, which I doubt I'd ever need. Most confrontations are said to be over in 1-3 shots, often none. Just the sight of a gun runs the perp off.

No handgun can be honestly said to run 100%, but revolvers have the best odds of getting closest to that.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
My first handgun was an H&R Sportsman, Mod 999, a long-barrel, top break .22 revolver. I still have it although in bad shape. When moving away from home my mom kept it and there are several very badly rust spots on it. I keep it because of its sentimental value. The second revolver was a S&W Mod 19, 6in and I traded it off for a 4inch Stainless Ruger Security 6 that I still have. Having said that, I would not hesitate carrying the S6 loaded with 125gr, Federal Hydrashock in .357. I have even carried it with .38 semi-wadcutters. I am confident with the revolver even though it is a little heavy with the holsters I have. A Bullard Bodyguard, would be better, since I sometimes carry the Ruger SR1911 in one with great comfort and concealablity.

Although my primary carry firearm is a Glock 23 g4 in a Bianchi 125 OWB, I carry because it is lighter and more concealable, I often carry my Ruger LCR .38 walking my dog, at the hunting lease or in the center console of my truck. When I carry my Sec6 presently, it's usually at the hunting lease.

As other handgunners will attest, the reason for supporting the use of a wheelgun for self defense is when drawn, the shooter can pull the trigger, double action and with confidence know it will go bang. The shooter doesn't have to rack a slide, flick off a safety or pull a hammer back. Although there are DA/SA semi-autos, that can be described that way they may not be as simple as a DA/SA revolver.

Rather than take a friend's or salesperson choice of carry firearm, research and try both revolver and semi-auto, see how they feel, then decide and choose what you like, feel and you shoot best. There are likely a few million plus "revolver vs. semi-auto" posts on the internet, the final decision rests with you.

·
Banned
4,290 Posts
Unless you're absolutely rigid on wanting a 9mm, take a look at the Ruger LCP. Yes, it's a semi auto but It's also a double action, mine eats whatever it's feed very reliably, and it's so light, thin and unobtrusive it makes a great every day pocket carry pistol. And, with the little mag extension is also comfortable in the hand.

And, your still carrying a 9mm. Albeit a 9mm short. :)

I have a Rohrbaugh Stealth R-9 which is a superb double action, tiny, double action 9mm pocket pistol. In fact, it's almost the exact same size as my LCP. But, when I'm heading out to perform daily chores it's almost always the LCP I drop into my pocket because of it's lighter weight and total unobtrusiveness.

Having said all that I love revolvers too. Especially the single action kind. They're fun to shoot just not, IMO, as practical and simple to carry.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
I've owned a number of both revolvers and semi's over the years and for my enjoyment nothing beats a big bore single action Ruger (I do load down because of hand issues)...I like to take my time shooting and with a semi I find myself burning ammo pretty fast...it's slower with a double action revolver but with a single action, the act of unloading and reloading is a slow process and slows my whole day a bit and helps me relax and concentrate..

For home defense (we do not CCW) I have settled on a GP100 loaded with Speer Gold Dots in 38+P in the night stand...we also have a GP loaded the same in the wife's night stand.... and I also have a couple of 38 +P snubs "around the house" with the same ammo loading...I'm convinced after lots of hours "breaking in" a semi..spending time on jam clearing drills, etc that Id rather have a revolver for self protection and I want a point and shoot self defense weapon that I'm totally comfortable with and feel it will not do something unexpected at a critical moment. My feeling is that if 5 or 6 rounds is not enough in a very close space then I'm going to be toast anyway. We also have a shotgun in our bedroom but frankly our "first line" of defense is to lock ourselves in our bedroom, grab the cell and go out the window as we call the cops...I don't want the confrontation...rather have the bad guy locked out while we escape.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have both revolver and semi.
I like shooting the LCR but I prefer CCW IWB my LC9.
I don't know what your kind of SD situation is but for my wife and I it is everyday business and home SD. The LC9 holds 8 rounds. I CCW with one in the chamber and use the safty-on. For the type SD I figure I will most likely run into Eight rounds should be enogh and if not I probably would not get off more anyway but I do always carry an extra mag.
I like using the safty but if it bothers you just leave it off, not a problem. The LC9 has a nice long trigger and I doubt there would be a problem.
The LCR also has a long trigger and not a carry problem. My wife likes the LCR and on occasion the Beretta 21a Bobcat.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I was drawn to revolvers when I went looking for my first handgun because of the pure simplicity. No mags to worry about, no wondering if I have a round chambered, just pull the trigger.
Please understand, I do also own a couple semi auto's and they are good guns. Like has been stated, if you need more than a couple rounds to defend yourself, then something is or has gone terribly wrong so capacity is not a factor. I don't see my self in any wild west style shootouts any time soon.

As far as carry, I carry a S&W 686 with a 4' barrel in .357 and in 10 years of carrying thankfully have never needed it.

To me, it all comes down to personal preference, no one type is any better or worse than the other.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Semi-Auto's have no appeal to me. Not sure why, but I only like revolvers.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I think mag capacity is very important for a LEO but not so much for a normal citizen. There are many with LCR or 5 round Smith's. I think the studies show that using all 5 rounds (for somebody who knows how to shoot) is pretty rare.

Practiced ability is most important and more important than caliber.

I'm a pretty big guy and I alternate between carrying a 4" GP and a Stoeger Cougar 40. The more I read the more I'm shying away from standard .38spl.

While I have every confidence in the Steoger, I still feel better with the SS GP. I think it is visually is more intimidating and that might stop the fight up front.

Either choice is valid but it really is your choice. I'd certainly start out with the one I was best at shooting.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Semi-Auto's have no appeal to me. Not sure why, but I only like revolvers.
That's not an uncommon viewpoint and FWIW I've alway's felt revolver's are more practical and look better than pistol's. Of course I started with revolver's and shot them for year's prior to training on pistol's.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Do I feel "under gunned with a revolver?" Well, considering I've spent most of my life so far without a gun at all and survived, I feel much more safer now.

In most normal SD/HD situations, 5 or 6 shots should suffice. I believe most thug gangbangers would flee in droves once somebody stands up to them. If there is a race riot or something big going on, I'd rather have a rifle or shotgun over ANY handgun anyway.

Get yourself an LCR .38+p. I'm not convinced using .357's in such a small, light snubbie is a good idea. I believe the negatives of muzzle flash and recoil outweigh the benefits. Plus, the extra 4 ounces of weight in the .357 version makes a big difference in pocket carry. Also, get a Bianchi Speed Strip and carry 5 extra rounds with you.

On a negative note, shooting a snubbie takes much practice, as they are not easy to shoot well (don't ever let anyone tell you they are). I'm still learning how to get the best out of mine, and get frustrated often with the results. But I'm commited to getting better. If you can shoot well with this type of gun, you can shoot anything.

You should also check out getting an LCP as well. It's a DA only semi-auto with a long trigger pull, thus making it much safer to carry a round chambered, which is the only way to carry this type of gun in my opinion. It is so small you will forget you are carrying it, and it's cheaper then an LCR. Having an LCR and LCP will have you covered for most CCW applications. If you REALLY feel insecure, you can carry both!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Do you ever feel 'under-gunned' because of the lack of ammo capacity? ...
For me, the more appropriate question is: "Do you ever feel 'under-gunned' for your everyday threat level?"

I live in the suburban midwest. I own Glocks in .45ACP, .40, and 9mm, several SA Rugers, a GP100, and an SR1911. But my summer EDC is a Ruger LCP (a 6+1 in .380). My winter carry will be an SP101 (a 5 shot in .357Mag). Either will be fine for that bad guy @ the gas station. I own but do not carry extra mags for the LCP, speed strips and speed loaders for the SP101.

If the Bloods and the Crips show up around town I'll have to reassess.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I chose revolver because of the simplicity of it. Nothing to remember except to aim and pull the trigger. No safety or slide or magazine, to think about. With CT laser grips, don't even need to remember to turn it on. It is automatic when I grip it. And for safety.....absolutely cannot fire unless trigger is pulled.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,336 Posts
My wife much prefers a revolver. She has been carrying an S&W 640 .357 magnum for about twenty years.

I normally carry a 1911 .45 ACP or a Glock G20SF 10mm and spare magazines. In the summer, I often carry one or two S&W .357 magnums. I find the small smooth wood grips are much easier to conceal with a light shirt over them. I usually carry two speed loaders.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts