Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had two items I wanted to take care of, actually, two scopes to zero, and as long as I was at it, see if the #1 was shooting anywhere to point of aim. The other was the relatively new Savage 93FV .22 WMR heavy barrel w/accu-trigger.

First up was the Savage wearing the BSA 24x44 fixed power that recently came off the Ruger. (I had basically swathed scopes on the two to solve some fit and mechanical problems) I might also add that I bought this BSA because I have one that I dearly love. This one, however, is not up to love standards.

I was pleasantly surprised that my bore-sighting job was close to dead nuts at 25 yards. A few clicks and it was off to 50 yards. A few more clicks and on to 100 yards. A few more clicks and it was zeroed at 100 yards with a total of 6 rounds fired. Then I put a few more down range just for the fun of it and got about a quarter sized group of 5 without really trying.

This will be my Southern Michigan coyote rifle and 100 yard zero is exactly what I want. Getting a shot over 100 yards in Michigan would be quite unusual, so it is exactly where I want it. I’m even sure if I took a little more time and really went for it and used some 38-grain CCI Maxi-Mag HP, they would get even smaller. This was with some 40-grain CCI Maxi-Mag FMJ that I know do not work as well.

I am happy with the little Savage. This is by far the best outing I’ve had with it.

The Ruger was up next. I have been having accuracy problems with it and have been searching for the magic load combined with the proper number of turns in the little Hicks doohickey hanger thingy. (I like to rely on highly technical and very specific terms)

The #1 is now adorned with the best scope I own; the Leatherwood 6.5-20x50 unidial model that surpasses even Lupold for clarity. The optics on this baby are second to none. Period.

The Ruger was recently bore-sighted also, and I was happy to see that the first shot was on the paper at 25 yards. After a several guesstimates about how many clicks to run up, I switched to 50 yards and only needed to see that it was close enough to go to 100 yards.

This is after 8 rounds. Now, I don’t know if any of y’all have shot very many .270 Weatherby magnums or not, but you really don’t want to shoot too many. They whack you pretty good, and my spot-weld on this one is with my thumb pressed right into that grove underneath your cheekbone, and when it goes off, my head snaps back. The result is a headache after about 4 or 5 rounds, and my head was beginning to ache because I had already shot 8.

That did not deter me however! I kept on shooting and clicking to try and fine tune it a bit, so after it was coming close, I then started turning on the Hicks doohickey to try and tune the barrel a bit. I loosened it a little and fired three rounds for effect, but only recorded mixed results. That means that it is not there yet.

So it’s tinker tinker, crank crank, and fire three more shots, and the results are still mixed.

Well, no matter, it is in the ballpark enough for the upcoming deer season, and that is actually my main concern for now. So with a slightly throbbing head, I packed up and yielded my shooting station to the young men that had been flinching every time the #1 went off.

I could however, go to the A&W in town for lunch secure in the knowledge that the session had been satisfactory in spite of my throbbing frontal lobe and that not finding enough brass to pay for my trip was offset by the sign I kept seeing flashing on and off in my head that said “Mission Accomplished!”

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Sounds like you did good. Always good to get them tuned in. Deer season is just around the corner. I have a scoped .06, but I think I'm going to use my Lever 30-30 with open sights this year. :)

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
It sounds like you had a satisfying day at the range. My plans for deer season are going to be pretty simple. My Super Blackhawk is already sighted in with my favorite load and now all I need is a dumb deer to two to stumble across my path.:D

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I hear so many good things about the savage acu-trigger.
A No.1-----thats just plain class!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts