Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rare Ruger GP100 (3 inch barrel with adjustable sights from the factory). I just got some walnut Badger stocks. These required some fitting around the locator pin hole, but once I shaved the holes, it's fine.

I like the color, and the grip angle (reminds me of my HK P7 in feel). This gun weighs 36 ounces and carries well. It will be loaded with Underwood Ammo's .357 magnum 125 gr. JHP, 1500 ft/s from the 3 inch barrel.

It's a loud gun with magnums, and it bucks sharply, but I think it's a great do-it-all size.

Attachments

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Nice! I like the Badger boot grip and have them on several GP100s and my Alaskan.

I've got at least four 3" GP100s in 357 Magnum with factory adjustable sights. I didn't realize they were so rare. Lucky me!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice! I like the Badger boot grip and have them on several GP100s and my Alaskan.

I've got at least four 3" GP100s in 357 Magnum with factory adjustable sights. I didn't realize they were so rare. Lucky me!
From what I've read in these boards, between the two of us we own probably a large percentage of the 3 inch GP100s with adj. sights ever made!

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
From what I've read in these boards, between the two of us we own probably a large percentage of the 3 inch GP100s with adj. sights ever made!
I agree! Great size and features - love 'em. At one time I had at least 8 but whittled it down to 4 now. Not promising I won't come home with another one if I happened across it at the right price....

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
American1776 nice gun I have a newly acquired Ruger GP100 Wiley Clapp II thats a 3 inch barreled gun as well. Your GP100 is a beauty! I haven't shot .357's thru mine yet just .38 Special. Gotta luv the 3 inch barreled GP100's!!!

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
Looks freakish!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input.

I also noticed that the quality control on this particular one is very good. Barrel is clocked at 12, cylinder lock up is pretty tight, b/c gap is just where it should be, end shake is minimal. Trigger is smooth too on this one.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
They have been recently. I have a nice WF 1751 that was reamed to 357 and customized last year. The 1708 was released a bit after the 1751s were flooding the market. Both are great guns. They are more obscure than other models, but their rarity has become less.

Still a nice revolver! :)

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Sweet!!! If I were to stumble upon one of these my wallet would catch on fire. The plastic would come out and I'd figure out how to afford it later :D

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
ExArmy11b I guess I was lucky I waited two weeks after looking at my new Ruger GP100 Wiley Clapp II in Hawkeye Matt Blue. It was still in the LGS I thought about this gun and couldn't take the stress any more!!! My Gun Nut Itus took over, I now have this gun first GP100. This gun is the nicest D/A revolver that I own. I had compared other revolvers to my S&W Model 66 no dash .357 well for a brand new gun my WC is very smooth the fit and finish very nice. The S&W is just a tad smoother then the WC but with break in that will not last. I like the Badger Boot grips but I think I will possibly get the Compact Grips at shop Ruger.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Davidson's did have a small run recently of the 1708 model. I got one. It is no longer listed in their catalog. So it is still "uncommon" at least if not "rare".

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Uncommon is a fair handle I think. Neither the 1751 or 1708 ever appeared on Ruger's website as a standard offering or a Distributor Exclusive. Speculation was the 1751 was a contract overrun gun or cancelled security contract but nobody seems to know for sure and Ruger will never say. Davidson's got hundreds of them and flushed them through their distributors and their own online outlet a couple of years ago. The supply seems to pretty much have dried up at this point although you still see a few from time to time on GunBroker.

The recent 1708 run was courtesy of Lipsey's who ordered up a batch. 300? 500? Who knows. The 1708 originally appeared in the early 1990s and up until the recent batch they were truly rare with something like only 12 known examples. That rarity has totally evaporated now with the recent run creating a pretty good pool of examples out there. The recent run of 1708s has also dried up for now so we're back to uncommon status on that model.

I think these models are a good lesson in Ruger "rarity". As long as the platform is still in production Ruger can choose to make more of what is considered "rare" at any time. I recall seeing an original 1708 for sale on GB asking $850 starting bid before the return of the model came out and thought that wasn't a bad price given the rarity. Some poor soul may have paid that or more for a gun that came along 6 months later for $550.

Another recent example would be the heavy frame Birdshead Vaquero in 44 Mag. The heavy frame Vaquero ceased production some years back and that ended the 44 Mag Vaquero. Or so we thought. Then here comes a run of heavy frame 44 Mag Vaqueros again.

With Ruger never say never.

·
Registered
312 Posts
The original model GP-100 1708 has not lost its rarity as there were still only a dozen or less of these ever made. You want see the original examples made again only the new model 1708s. The original model letters to the late 80s, you want see this with the new models. Although not an extreme amount, the new models do have some changes and are not identical. A few collectors already know the difference and seek the original 1708 at an extreme Premium. That being said, the new model 1708 is a fine revolver and will now have it's long awaited place among the Ruger family of great firearms.
RME

1 - 19 of 19 Posts