Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently moved... Well, like a year ago. But I just got around to renewing my license about 3 or 4 months ago. I know, I know. In my stupid state, we have a standard license and an "Under 21" license. Apparently, it's so people selling alcohol, firearms and strippers can know if someone meets the age requirements at a quick glance. It's also supposed to help with counterfeit ID's or something stupid like that.

Anyway, when I bought my new license for $15, they gave me the "Under 21" version but it says, "Under 21 Until 2005" which is stupid. I'm 28 now and I was when I bought the license. I called them recently because I've bought a couple of firearms, some handgun ammunition and some beer in that time frame and EVERY SINGLE TIME I get a ration of crap about it. Here is the very real conversation I had with the idiot on the other end of the line:

They're none of those things. I recently got a new license and they gave me the "Under 21" version. Now if I buy something you have to be 21 for (beer, guns, strippers, etc.) I get questioned.

This is the conversation I had with them about it:

Me: I got a new license recently and you guys gave me the "Under 21" version but I'm 28.
Them: Are you under 21?
Me: No. I just said that I'm 28.
Them: Is your birth date wrong on the ID?
Me: No. But when I try to use it to buy something that I need to be 21 to buy, I get questioned.
Them: Is the birth date wrong on the ID?
Me: No. My birth date is right.
Them: So what's the problem?
Me: The problem is that every time I use my license to buy something, I get questioned because I have a license that, at first glance, appears to have been issued to someone under the age of 21.
Them: How old are you?
Me: I'M 28!! Can I just get a new license please?
Them: You can get a new license, but you have to pay $15.
Me: I already paid $15 3 months ago.
Them: Did you lose your license? Or do you just need it renewed?
Me: No, I have the wrong license. You gave me the wrong license and I need a new one. Why do I have to pay $15?
Them: I'm sorry, but that's our policy. You have to pay any time you get a new license issued.
Me: Fine. I'll just keep answering the questions. I'm not paying $15 for your mistake.
Them: Is there anything else I can help you with?
Me: Well, you haven't helped with the first problem, so no. Thanks anyway.

Their new slogan is "Committed, Competent, Courteous." Apparently they're none of those things. I think "Unattentive, Underqualified, Unintelligent" would be a more fitting slogan.

LOL!

Thank GOODNES it's Friday. :) Off to try and buy some beer. And handgun ammunition. Just can't WAIT to watch the checkout lady squirm!

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Can you go see them in person?
I wouldn't put up with that nonsense.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you go see them in person?
I wouldn't put up with that nonsense.
I can but it's about a 30 minute drive one way from my work. It would be a 2-hour event to go get it changed. At this point it's almost hilarious how ignorant they are. I'm just going to write a strongly worded letter to our idiot governor, which she probably can't read, but will hopefully have an aide that can read it for her and translate my issue of the stupidity that is our government-run department of motor vehicles.

It's not about the $15. It's about the idea that those people can't even begin to evaluate and solve the simplest of customer service issues.

I think it's hilarious. I was literally laughing on the phone. It was like being on a hidden camera show or something.

I'll go down there on a day off or something sometime. In the meantime, I'll just let it fly and answer the questions.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
They need to make a sign that says "I just washed my brain and I can't do a thing with it". It would explain alot.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Were from the government and were here to help you............ LMFAO!!!!!! :cool: typical.....:rolleyes: Some kid is probably running around with an over 21 license too!;) Of this I have no doubt!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I read a story a while back, about a guy who had recently moved from Mew Mexico to another state. When he first tried to get a new DL in the state he moved too, he was told they could not issue one because he was from another country.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Reminds me of when I retired from work a few years ago.

Before I could leave I was told I had to go to Human Resources for an exit interview.

The young woman at HR asked why I was "voluntarily quitting".

I said "I'm retiring. I am not quitting. There is a difference".

She said "there are only two choices on our forms. You either "voluntarily quit" or you were "terminated".

I told her to write this: "I'm quitting because at age 55 and after 27 years service I was shocked to discover that Human Resources are neither human nor a resource".

·
Registered
205 Posts

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I told her to write this: "I'm quitting because at age 55 and after 27 years service I was shocked to discover that Human Resources are neither human nor a resource".
Absolutely freakin' hilarious! HAHAHA! You just made my day. Appreciate that. :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
I think that being brain-dead permeates the DMV's of all states. You don't have to be stupid to work there, but it IS encouraged!:D

Kenny

·
Registered
160 Posts
I think that maybe not enough credit is being given to this DMV...

This is actually a genius plot to generate revenue....every out of state license is issued on the "under 21" form...The policy is to charge $15 for the new license. Most people probably just cave in and fork over the $15...

Probably 90% of the people end up paying twice for the license within a short time period and just chalk it up to the DMV being messed up.....

But, they have the last laugh, because they are making 200% revenue on every out of state license transfer....

Yet another nefarious plot generated by the New World Order.......:eek:

·
Registered
132 Posts
I may be the only person in America that has had a positive experience with the DMV (DPS in Texas).

In December of 2010, I had my license and all my personal belongings stolen from my gym locker. When I went to get a replacement license at the Texas Department of Public Safety, the clerk said, "Look your birthday and renewal are coming up next April. Let's just do an advance renewal now so you don't have to pay for a replacement just for three month's use." How cool is that?

There is a first time for everything.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Here in Virginia I went to get the new Veteran's ID card. Anyway the DMV was 25 miles away, and all I brought to prove my service was a request for separation form. My DD214 which I had to have and forgot was asked for. The girl took my request for separation form to the supervisor on duty, and he said it wouldn't fly. It didn't state what type of discharge I received. I had an inspiration and told him I had a state-issued conceal-carry permit. a convicted felon or a dishonorable discharge holder cannot get a gun permit in Virginia. He thought a minute, smiled and said ''I'll take that''. I left with my ID card. Not all DMV people are Jerks.:D

·
Banned
575 Posts
Reminds me of when I retired from work a few years ago.

Before I could leave I was told I had to go to Human Resources for an exit interview.

The young woman at HR asked why I was "voluntarily quitting".

I said "I'm retiring. I am not quitting. There is a difference".

She said "there are only two choices on our forms. You either "voluntarily quit" or you were "terminated".

Just to be safe, I think I'll just decide not to show up on the day I decide to "retire". I hate interviews anyways. :D

·
Registered
154 Posts
I think if you are going to the DMV to take care of this that you should call your local TV station and see if they want to do a story on government inefficiency and how they are attempting to soak the citizens for their error(s). It's amazing how a little camera lens and a microphone can do so much...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts