Ruger Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This season started off with a bang in September when my son took a nice velvet 7pt on the last night of the Michigan youth season. He was set on waiting it out for chance to get a buck the first day but we never seen one. Day two he decided he would be happy with a doe. In the morning we never seen a deer and that evening it wasn't till about 30 minutes before last light we seen a deer pop out of the woods about 70 yards away. Then another right behind it. There ended up being two and they both were bucks and both in velvet! The 7pt he got and another about the same size. He got a good dose of buck fever as they came to within about 40 yards. He picked out the closer one and took his shot. He had a good rest but his shot was a little back but im not suprised!! The Lil guy was just a vibrating as those deer came in!! The deer had a slight quartering away angle and the buck ended up only running about 50 yards before going down right within sight. After celebrating and getting his deer taken care of I was able to catch about 4 hours of sleep before heading up to the UP for a Bear hunt. I made it up there just in time to meet the guys in camp and then grab my gear and my Ruger Gunsite Scout chambered in Bushmaster and jumped in a tree for my first night's sit. With the warm weather and abundance of berries I didn't see any bear until the 4th day of the hunt even though the bait was hit every night. I ended up shooting that bear after watching him roll the logs and tare the bate pile apart for about 15 minutes just to be sure it wasn't a sow and had any cubs near by. I had the 450 loaded up with some Federal 300g flat nose jacketed HP and dropped him right there on the log pile! Im quite impresst with round and its knock down power! The bear ended up being a 175lb boar with a beautiful fur pelt on him. I couldn't be more happy with him. A great looking Michigan UP black bear!

Having taken time off work to bear hunt, my archery season was pretty slim. I only was able make it out a hand full of times and was never able to connect with a buck. During rifle season I took a week off to head up to our traditional family deer camp. I brought with me my trusty Ruger M77 MKII .308 and was shooting 168g barnes bullets. Opening morning was a bit slow, I only seen a few doe and yearlings. I was sitting all day and it was about 2 o'clock when I seen a nice 8pt cutting across the top of a hardwoods ridge. I was able to poke a round at him and then watch him mule kick then he dove over the side of the ridge out of site. I sat there for about a half hour watching the area that buck had dove into when I herd leaves crunching down in a cedar swamp to my left. I looked over and seen a stud of a buck cruseing threw at a good pace. By the time I was able to get my gun out the window he had already made it past me into some thick cedars and I didn't think I was going to get a shot. He ended up popping out in a small opening a few minutes later giving me a 100 yard quartering away shot. I took the shot and his front end hit the ground, bulldozed about 20 yards and expired right there. At that point I had two good bucks down and I was all sorts of rattled. I took a few minutes to get myself together and said a few prayers thanking the good lord for all he had blessed me with this year. It's the best year of hunting I have ever had! I ended up with a nice 8pt and a really wide 7pt that had a awful large body. Truly a season to remember and one I surely treasure!
Smile Fawn Landscape Terrestrial animal Grass
Plant Working animal Dog breed Hat Grass
Plant Tree Wood Branch Twig
Plant Branch People in nature Tree Trunk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree that he got the true trophy! He got his buck and along with that a memory that will last a life time. The memory of his experience is what will fule his drive too continue to spend time in the outdoors and further his love of it! The kid is just ate up with it and is eager to do or learn anything that remotely has to do with hunting, fishing or just being outdoors! I couldn't be more proud of the ethical little sportsman he is growing up to be!

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Well done sir.

We only get to shoot one buck in Kentucky, but in my county we can kill as many does as we want. I took a nice 10 pt. on the third day of our gun season. Three of our 4 hunters connected with good deer this year.

This coming weekend I am heading back out with my muzzle-loader for a doe, then the duck boat is getting wet next week.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good luck guys! We will be heading back up north this weekend for the last of muzzaloader season. I have plenty of meat in the freezer but my father and a buddy of mine are still looking to notch a tag. They can do all the trigger pulling and I am just going to shoot them with a camera and help get the deer out of the woods.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts