Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some time ago, somebody in this forum referred to a self-inflicted gunshot wound as a "selfie". I can't remember who it was who said that (sorry), but I've shamelessly appropriated the term for my own use since then.

A few days ago, a young man came into the ER with what was obviously a gunshot wound (low velocity) to his left hand. The bullet had entered on the palm side of the hand, near the ulnar edge (pinkie finger side) and exited the back of the hand, breaking the 5th metacarpal bone (the long bone in the palm of the hand that attaches to the pinkie finger).

There was also a fine dark stippling (gunpowder imbedded into the skin - sign of a close gunshot) on the palm, with a sharp edge to the stippling between the entrance wound and the edge of the palm, almost as if there had been something in his hand at the time of the shot. X- rays showed not only the broken 5th metacarpal bone, but also some fine slivers of a material that was not X-ray dense enough to be metal or bone, but definitely not flesh.

The young man's story (and he was sticking to it) was that he had tripped and impaled his hand on a protruding nail in the alley behind his apartment. I nodded, but I wasn't buying it; I asked the clerk to call the Sheriff's office and ask for a deputy to drop by.

While I was cleaning out the wound, I kept coming across tiny pieces of very thin glass; not like broken bottle glass or automotive glass (which I've seen a lot of, believe me), but more like the thickness of light bulb glass. Before I finished washing out the wound, the deputy had arrived, so she was able to question my patient as soon as I was done. I, of course, stuck around to hear the story get better.

After a few minutes of doggedly repeating his lame story, the young fellow finally came clean. He had been trying to get a "gangsta-like" picture of himself with a pistol, but since he was holding the gun in his right hand, he had to use his (non-dominant) left hand to hold the cell phone. This was a rather awkward arrangement, so he was apparently concentrating more on his photography than handling the gun safely.

As it turns out, there is a phenomenon in muscle neurophysiology that when you squeeze one finger either very hard or in a very awkward position, the other fingers - including, often, the fingers of the other hand - also squeeze, involuntarily. In his efforts to get his left hand to push the "shutter" button on his phone, his right index finger (also known as the "trigger finger") squeezed in sympathy.

All would have been well had he not had the gun loaded with a round in the chamber and the hammer cocked. Alas, he had not taken those rudimentary precautions, and the gun fired. The bullet first entered the cell phone and then into his hand, carrying fine slivers of glass from the display in its wake.

Fortunately for the community of law-abiding and safe gun owners, this young man was a convicted felon and was not permitted to possess firearms in the state of Oregon. So, after he finished with me, he had to do some more paperwork down at the county jail.

Jim

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I always look forward to your most interesting stories. I am still amazed that some of these folks are still allowed to breed and procreate.:)

·
Life is good
4,866 Posts
I am in awe of such brilliance! ;)

Thank you, that story gave me a afternoon boost!! :D

·
Registered
6,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am in awe of such brilliance! ;)

Thank you, that story gave me a afternoon boost!! :D

As someone once said, the difference between genius and stupidity is there are limits to genius.

Jim

·
Registered
6,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I always look forward to your most interesting stories. I am still amazing that some of these folks are still allowed to breed and procreate.:)

Well, since he was on parole at the time (for armed robbery) and will be getting a "felon in possession of a firearm" charge on top of the parole violation, he won't be breeding too much for the next decade or more.

Jim

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
Thanks again, Jim. ... ;)

·
Banned
365 Posts
Nothing like self inflicted injury from your own stupidity.

Jim, honestly, you need to write a book about all these incidents. Count me in for a copy.

·
Super Moderator
16,278 Posts
As the saying goes "Do stupid things ... Win stupid prizes"

·
Super Moderator
21,673 Posts
Wait a minute how can he have a firearm he couldn't pass a background check. :rolleyes::p;)

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
One of the few times a selfie stick would have actually came in handy.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,406 Posts
I thought the gangsta hold isn't accurate? :)

Was he using an Obamaphone? He could have used the built in self-timer.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Well, since he was on parole at the time (for armed robbery) and will be getting a "felon in possession of a firearm" charge on top of the parole violation, he won't be breeding too much for the next decade or more.

Jim
In todays criminal justice system I would be greatly surprised if he does any time at all.

·
Registered
6,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wait a minute how can he have a firearm he couldn't pass a background check. :rolleyes::p;)
Doubly true for Oregon, since they passed a law last year requiring a background check for private sales and "transfers". So, even if his "homeboy" loaned him the gun, there should have been a background check. Sadly, I doubt that anyone will be prosecuted under this law, apart from otherwise law-abiding citizens.

Jim

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
The sad thing is the picture didn't survive!

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
I first saw the term "selfie" used to describe self-inflicted wounds on a site that tracks chicago shootings ( heyjackass.com ). I may have been the one who brought it here, but I have to give proper credit to the real source.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts