Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, I just thought I'd post something I saw the other night while I was loading my SR9c's magazine for the night. I had picked up a cheap box of hollowpoints (Pierce PD 124gr.) to try at the range since I'm fairly new to HP ammunition. I shot a few rounds at the range and they all fed and fired. (Minus one round that got hung up on the ramp when I racked the slide to chamber it but it fed after a quick pull.) Now I didnt really notice that round being any different, but when I looked at my remaining rounds later that night, I noticed one of them was significantly shorter. Like maybe the bullet was seated deeper? Is that gonna cause a problem? This ammo was fairly cheap as far as HP's go so I'm sure I got what I paid for.

I'll try and get a pic up later today. But anyone have an experience like this?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And since I mentioned the hang up on the ramp, Is it just me or is the SR9c's feed ramp awfully small? Now I'm still pretty new to firearms but I saw my friends 9mm Sig and his feed ramp is huge. I guess call it ramp envy. lol.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yikes, that's the first time I've ever heard of setback. Strange though, it came from the factory that way. That round has never been chambered.

Guess I should steer clear of this brand.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yikes, that's the first time I've ever heard of setback. Strange though, it came from the factory that way. That round has never been chambered.

Guess I should steer clear of this brand.
Setback is not uncommon in semi autos. The most common cause is loading the same round from the magazine several times. Like clearing the weapon and later reloading. The round bumping the feed ramp eventually pushes the bullet further into the case. I've noticed Remington Golden Sabres will set back easily. That coming from the factory deserves an email to them so they're aware of the problem and should upgrade their QC program.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just sent them an email. Scary thought that I almost shot that round. I like my fingers firmly attached to my hand thank you.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update- A representative from Pierce has emailed me wanting the lot # to look more into the issue and has offered to send me a free box of ammo for the inconvenience. I'd say that's pretty great customer service.

Since it's pretty affordable, as long as this new box comes in good shape, I may keep with this brand. Any company that's willing to fix a problem earns a gold star in my book.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts