Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Ya-all, I was out with my cousin today doing a little Holday shooting and he noticed that a small part fell out of the mag well of my 762. I was able to get the part before it rolled off the porch but I have not figured out what it is yet... He had just inserted a mag and was preparing to make the first shot. But after he had moved the safety into the fire position and pulled the trigger nothing happened. We dropped the mag and I cleared the chamber (it took a little extra force to pull the bolt all the way back and clear the chambered cartridge-the bolt stuck at first). At that time Cousin T noted this small part fall out. We never did try to fire after we noted the aprt fall out...

I have not taken the rifle down yet but will take a look soon. I did look at the manual and the exploded view of it and from what I can tell, it sure looks close to being a EJECTOR or a BUFFER RETAINER PLUNGER. Can anybody out there identify this part just by site?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Buffer retainer. There will be a spring somewhere in there as well that will most likely be mangled.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Yup. It would most likely have fallen out because the buffer tube wasn't screwed in to the upper to the correct depth. The edge of the buffer tube retains this pin.

Normally this pin stands up in front of the buffer/recoil spring (in the stock) and keeps it from recoiling all the way into the gun.

You should also look for the spring that was behind the the part you found too like the others said.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
You got your answer! Fun game! ;) :p

I recommend picking up spare parts for your rifle. You never know when You may need a spare spring or regent. Modifying the rifle can often result in losing a small working part. Best to have backups in your tool box.

You have a very easy and affordable fix.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
The image is for an AR-15 but the mechanics are the same on the SR762 (AR-10). Part #4 is what fell out.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
You're likely going to have to take the stock off, unscrew the buffer tube and pull the spring and buffer out before taking the upper off as the buffer will be fully pushed against the bcg.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You're likely going to have to take the stock off, unscrew the buffer tube and pull the spring and buffer out before taking the upper off as the buffer will be fully pushed against the bcg.
Welp, too late for that good advise. Indeed the buffer and spring did come thrusting out! But I was able to control them some nobody was hurt and nobody lost an eye. I should have seen that coming. I have called Ruger and have three springs and three pins on their way- got a few extra...

What I want to know is WHY did this happen? One commentor mentioned that perhaps the buffer tube was not threaded in to the propper depth. I have taken a photo of the lower stock to show how far the buffer tube was threaded in... This was purchased "new in box" from an online gun shop so as far as I can expect the buffer tube would have been installed at the factory... Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Welp, too late for that good advise. Indeed the buffer and spring did come thrusting out! But I was able to control them some nobody was hurt and nobody lost an eye. I should have seen that coming. I have called Ruger and have three springs and three pins on their way- got a few extra...

What I want to know is WHY did this happen? One commentor mentioned that perhaps the buffer tube was not threaded in to the propper depth. I have taken a photo of the lower stock to show how far the buffer tube was threaded in... This was purchased "new in box" from an online gun shop so as far as I can expect the buffer tube would have been installed at the factory... Thoughts?
Yes I'd say the tube isn't screwed in enough to hold the pin down. It may even be possible that the hole is drilled incorrectly, which is something ruger would have to replace the lower receiver to correct.
You'll have to loosen the castle nut and try to turn the buffer tube in another full turn, then tighten the castle nut.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Welcome to the A 10 club.

Get a muzzle break on it as soon as you can.

I call my SR 762 'Baby' and she has a the kick of an AR15 . . . almost nothing!

No glass on her yet so, I've been playing with iron sights for the moment. At this point I'm in the black at 100 yards so I'm happy.

An awesome rifle! Best of luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts