Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last few months I have asked a few questions on the forum about an SP101 4.2" that I had recently picked up and thought I would say a little thanks for all the help in helping my learning curve go up in regards to revolvers. I bought the gun to carry in the field when my son and I are training out dog for fall upland hunting. I couldn't be more pleased with the gun. Not as bulky as the GPs I handled and it carries/conceals well. I find that while the sight radius is the same as my Glock 26, I'm more consistantly accurate with it at range (particularily in single action) which is exactly what I was hoping for.

Anyways, here's a few pics of the two of them together. I enjoy both but truth be told.....the revolver gets the nod.

Have a good one,

Scott

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Anyways, here's a few pics of the two of them together. I enjoy both but truth be told.....the revolver gets the nod.
Scott, I have had a .45 most of my legal handgun owning life. I have a nice Kahr P9 that is the best design for my limited use I've handled to date. They are OK for fun shooting, but my old bones don't bend over to pick up brass like it used to.

I also have a 4" SP101, and a very nice .357 BH with a birds head grip from Brownell's. I'd swap the 9 and the .45 for another SP101 any day. Mine has proven to be far more accurate than I had even hoped.

·
Registered
250 Posts
A good revolver like the SP101 is one of the most underated handgun's due to the mass perception of semi-auto pistol's as being the cat's meow. Anyone who's trained with a DA/SA revolver and become good with it can shoot anything else but will alway's like the wheelgun.

·
Registered
165 Posts
If I was going to buy a double action, the SP101 4.2" would be at the top of my list. But I've gone to the dark side, and purchased this instead:

Still, the SP101 would be a bit handier than my current carry gun:

so it might end up back at the top of the list...when my checking account recovers.

·
Republican!!!
11,412 Posts
but my old bones don't bend over to pick up brass like it used to.
That is a good reason for owning a revolver I hadn't thought of. I have no problems bending over to pick up brass. It's the standing back up that challenges me! :D

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I was trained on the S&W model 15 Combat Masterpiece and will always choose a revolver over a semi pistol.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep, there's something about the revolver that just tickle's my fancy. Could be my mechanical nature or growing up watching westerns as a kid. Be sides the "cool" factor, shooting the revolver in single action does improve my long range accuracy. If I have to use it in the field the offending critter will more than likely be close to my dog and I really don't want to take any chances shooting at a somewhat moving target with the long, double action pull of either of the handguns.

I do practice shooting the revolver in double action and do fairly well with both. Defensively, I can shoot both just fine and feel very comfortable shooting either in that situation. The Glock does have a nice "wall" in the trigger to shoot against but it's not quite what the Ruger has in single action.

About the only gripe I have is that with the Hogue grips, the speedloaders don't drop all the way to the cylinder. The grip is a little to thick and holds the rounds at an angle. They do drop in just fine but I may work on removing some of the grip to allow them to go all the way down to where the top of the cylinder and bottom of the reloader meet. Small point, but there should be a work around.

Thanks again,

Scott

1 - 13 of 13 Posts