Ruger Forum banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

Registered
I have an early 90's 870 Express Magnum I bought new. Yeah, it has the matte finish and plastic stock but that shotgun has been a stone cold killer on all manner of birds and small game. It's never hiccuped in any way. It's been in duck blinds, goose blinds, dove fields, quail fields and turkey cover. I've contemplated putting some wood furniture on it and I might someday but I keep getting distracted by other projects.
I got my Express Magnum in 1990, and it came with what I believe was black oak furniture. I switched that out for a Knoxx Industries collapsable pistol-gripped stock about 13 years ago, and it has the same synthetic Choate forend I put on it around 1995. The Choate fixed-length pistol-gripped stock went to my dad after I swapped it out for the one from Knoxx. I also added a two-round extension and got a 20" IC barrel with rifle sights, which is just the right choke for rifled slugs but still enough choke to control a shot pattern.

I've put a good number of slugs and 3" buckshot rounds through it over the years, and that smooth action I mentioned lets me run it fast enough to shoot sporting clays (not the ideal but a good enough solution in the absence of a double-barrel). The action will partially open itself under recoil when I fire it, so it's now a semi-recoil-operated pump gun. 馃槢
Just so no one thinks it's an unsafe weapon, the action stays locked shut and tight before I fire. It doesn't have any head space issues.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The current shotgun market is terrible. Import restrictions (no guns imported that hold more than five in the tube), and Remington's problems have really given Mossberg a complete monopoly when it comes to U.S. produced defensive/riot pump actions. There is a big opportunity there and Ruger should consider producing a quality pump action under the Marlin brand. Sporting versions and 18-20" models (with a full length mag tube) would be very strong sellers.
I hope you find what you are looking for, but, speaking as a 50 year user/fan of Marlin lever-action rifles, I really think that most of us "Marlin fans" are more interested in what Ruger has planned for us, with their Ruger/Marlin (Ruglin) lever-action rifle line.

But I do agree, that if they also add a line of quality pump shotguns, so much the better!

Registered
Whew! Threads do get side tracked. LOL There was an interview w the Ruger CEO some month back and he said the 336 would be among the first Marlin rifles out.

Reactions: True Grit

Registered
It's audio but you can get the drift

Reactions: RWT1405

Registered
I don't know the Marlin lever rifle live, I own a Henry Big Boy Brass in 357 and love it. Would love to own a stainless lever action in 357 to go with my GP100. Sure hope Ruger will be able to help me out soon. Nothing bad to say about Henry , in fact would buy a traditional stainless from them if offered.

Registered
I hope you find what you are looking for, but, speaking as a 50 year user/fan of Marlin lever-action rifles, I really think that most of us "Marlin fans" are more interested in what Ruger has planned for us, with their Ruger/Marlin (Ruglin) lever-action rifle line.

But I do agree, that if they also add a line of quality pump shotguns, so much the better!
I think Ruger is more than capable of producing both lever action rifles and pump action shotguns under the Marlin brand. That market is wide open right now. It certainly would not be the first time a pump shotgun has been produced with the Marlin name.

Registered
.22 Single Sixes, MkII, 10-22, 22 Charger, 77-357, 45 American, 44 Vaqueros, GP100s.
Always wanted the Marlin 30-30. Never had the $$$ for one. The new Ruger/Marlin 1895 is a tempting buy. A Mossberg 464 fell into my collection last year, and I'm happy - it's a good Marlin copy, but not a Marlin... Ruger-made pump shotguns would be a good thing, too.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I think Ruger is more than capable of producing both lever action rifles and pump action shotguns under the Marlin brand. That market is wide open right now. It certainly would not be the first time a pump shotgun has been produced with the Marlin name.
Again, I sure hope you can find what you want, but I feel pretty confident that when the vast, vast, vast majority of "gun people" talk about Marlin, the vast, vast, vast majority are talking about lever-action rifles, not pump shotguns.

After all that Marlin went thru, with the "Remlin" fiasco, I think the vast, vast, vast majority of us Marlin fans just want to see "Ruglin" get the lever-actions right first.

Now, if Ruger wants to make there own line of pump shotguns, I'm all for it.

Registered
Again, I sure hope you can find what you want, but I feel pretty confident that when the vast, vast, vast majority of "gun people" talk about Marlin, the vast, vast, vast majority are talking about lever-action rifles, not pump shotguns.

After all that Marlin went thru, with the "Remlin" fiasco, I think the vast, vast, vast majority of us Marlin fans just want to see "Ruglin" get the lever-actions right first.

Now, if Ruger wants to make there own line of pump shotguns, I'm all for it.
There is a bit of a strawman here....

I never stated that Ruger should redirect their enitire focus to this, or that this should take priority over their first few lever action rifle offerings. I simply pointed out a huge hole in the firearms market that Ruger would be smart to fill. It would be smart to do this under the Marlin name, due to the history of the brand. Ruger is capable of producing lever action rifles and a pump action shotgun line, at quality levels above what Freedom Group was putting out. Considering the shortage of quality options on the market, I am sure that the "vast, vast, vast" majority of gun owners would like to see that.

Registered

I never stated that Ruger should redirect their enitire focus to this, or that this should take priority over their first few lever action rifle offerings. I simply pointed out a huge hole in the firearms market that Ruger would be smart to fill. It would be smart to do this under the Marlin name, due to the history of the brand. Ruger is capable of producing lever action rifles and a pump action shotgun line, at quality levels above what Freedom Group was putting out. Considering the shortage of quality options on the market, I am sure that the "vast, vast, vast" majority of gun owners would like to see that.
The THREAD is about the 336 being the first Marlin to come back to market. We ain't talking about shotguns.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #32 ·

This thread is about "Marlin" (or Ruglin) rifles, not Ruger pump shotguns.

Again, I do hope that "Ruger" comes out with a pump shotgun line that satisfies you.

However, this thread is about Marlin rifles, not Ruger shotguns, and if Ruger decides to produce pump shotguns under the Marlin name, my hope is that it is long after they have the lever-action line-up well into production, and after having dealt with any start up problems they are most likely to encounter.

Registered
The THREAD is about the 336 being the first Marlin to come back to market. We ain't talking about shotguns.
Yes it is. However, there is nothing wrong with other product suggestions or speculation about the future of the Marlin brand under Ruger. I am sure that the 1894, 1895, and Model 60 will also be discussed.

Registered
This thread is about "Marlin" (or Ruglin) rifles, not Ruger pump shotguns.

Again, I do hope that "Ruger" comes out with a pump shotgun line that satisfies you.

However, this thread is about Marlin rifles, not Ruger shotguns, and if Ruger decides to produce pump shotguns under the Marlin name, my hope is that it is long after they have the lever-action line-up well into production, and after having dealt with any start up problems they are most likely to encounter.
I agree on the latter point. Ruger should obviously focus on getting these first offerings right before any new Marlin product lines are offered. Lever action fans are obviously concerned about QC after the Freedom Group era.

Registered
Yes it is. However, there is nothing wrong with other product suggestions or speculation about the future of the Marlin brand under Ruger. I am sure that the 1894, 1895, and Model 60 will also be discussed.
So you answered a question not asked? Actually if you read all the posts in this thread the answers from the horses mouth are there to your suppositions. And there is a shotgun forum if that discussion is desired.

Registered
So you answered a question not asked? Actually if you read all the posts in this thread the answers from the horses mouth are there to your suppositions. And there is a shotgun forum if that discussion is desired.
I did not answer a shotgun related question as none was asked. I simply agreed with a post about low quality (Freedom Group Remingtons) shotguns, and stated that the market was wide open for a new competitor. As I previously stated, there is nothing wrong with product suggestions or speculation about the future of the Marlin brand. This whole thread is speculation.

Registered
As I previously stated, there is nothing wrong with product suggestions or speculation about the future of the Marlin brand. This whole thread is speculation.
Again, the thread, not yours, is about the 336, shotguns is off track. And post #25 is not speculation if you took time to listen to it rather than getting off track to the subject of the thread.

Registered
Again, the thread, not yours, is about the 336, shotguns is off track. And post #25 is not speculation if you took time to listen to it rather than getting off track to the subject of the thread.
Post # 25 came after comments were made about shotguns. The comment made by the Ruger CEO was "The first rifles we are going to be focusing on in the Marlin line are going to be the centerfire lever action rifles. That is going to be the model 336, 1894, 1895 in the larger calibers." The thread is about a stainless 336 possibly being the first offering. There has been (to my knowlege) no official announcement about the exact offering/configuration will we see first. There is still some speculation here.

Furthermore, there is nothing wrong with some innocent comments about other future Marlin products. Folks are excited and, even in this thread, they should be able to share opinions about other things they would like to see, and make further speculations. I am sure that some folks would like to see a new Model 60 or Marlin bolt actions. By taking personal issue with this, you have driven the thread further off topic than the folks that have commented about shotguns. Trying to make folks in a public firearms forum discuss only one thing in a thread would be like herding cats. This would not be desirable, as most folks would probably avoid any forum that would be moderated that strictly.

Registered
My, the tedium.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts