Ruger Forum banner
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Remember, Ruger bought REMINGTON CNCs and drawings and tooling. NOT Marlin's. The Marlin tooling and machinery and drawings were KRAP, and most of the hardware sits rusting in a yard near Herkimer, NY.

Ruger bought almost ten years' worth of "Remington rebuild" of the Marlin company. Seems Remington did all the heavy work before the bankruptcy came along...

Like Lennon once said of a Beatles reboot, : "you can't re-heat a soufflé "

Ruger didn't buy Marlin, they technically bought Remington (redesigned, retooled Marlin rifles. Let's keep that in mind.

I'm told that nowhere on the "marlin rifles" will the Marlin name/logos appear. That doesn't surprise me. Nor would a $1000+ price tag...

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
As another mentioned, this may be an "old stock" photo.

I grew up hunting with a 336 that I still have, in blue like it should be, and in 35 Remington. Marlin made the 336 in SS back in the day and they did not sell very well. We'll see I guess. I am glad that Ruger bought Marlin, but to be honest the 336 was one of the few Marlins that interested me. My 35 Remington will be tossed in my final resting place with me.

I may just have to take my 35 to the deer stand this year.
I have a Circa 1955 336SC in 35Rem that was my Dad's. First gun I ever deer hunted with. Went on to purchase a Browning BLR in .308 but that Marlin is such a sweet shooter. Took it out for a drive last year for the first time in 50+ years. Pulled it up to my shoulder and looked down those familiar old peep sights and was dead on at 50 yds. It'll be my deer hunter from here on...and that was with 50 year old ammo.

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
Remember, Ruger bought REMINGTON CNCs and drawings and tooling. NOT Marlin's.

I'm told that nowhere on the "marlin rifles" will the Marlin name/logos appear. That doesn't surprise me. Nor would a $1000+ price tag...
How do people come up with this jibberish?

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
Ruger must be the dumbest people on earth they bought Marlin but aren't gonna make guns with the Marlin name? Please, enlightening us how you know they aren't gonna use the Marlin name, and why. What plant are you working with?
Heck Ruger should have just started making 336 copies without buying the name they're not going to use! That some funny "stuff"!

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
We will see in the near future. Heck I'll bet no matter what is produced or what their called this forum will get feedback. I hope they make a lever action stainless in 357, don't know the old Marlin line but if it looks good and shoots good I'm probably in for one.

·
Registered
826 Posts
We will see in the near future. Heck I'll bet no matter what is produced or what their called this forum will get feedback. I hope they make a lever action stainless in 357, don't know the old Marlin line but if it looks good and shoots good I'm probably in for one.
I'm definitely interested in a stainless .357. I want something I can take to the woods without worrying about scratching it up. The Winchester is a pure range gun, but I'd like something for use in the woods.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Did marlin make a 336 in .357mag?
I know they had an 1894 in that caliber, but I don't recall a 336.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Did marlin make a 336 in .357mag?
I know they had an 1894 in that caliber, but I don't recall a 336.
To the best of my knowledge, Marlin made a 336 .44 mag for 2 or 3 years in the 1960's, but they never made a 336 .357 mag.

I also remember that they had a number of problems with the 336, in .44 mag, thus they came out with the 1894.

That is if my memory is correct.

·
Registered
496 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, Marlin made a 336 .44 mag for 2 or 3 years in the 1960's, but they never made a 336 .357 mag.

I also remember that they had a number of problems with the 336, in .44 mag, thus they came out with the 1894.

That is if my memory is correct.
Thank you.

·
Registered
826 Posts
It's all good.

I'd buy a stainless 1894 in .44 mag if they are reliable.

I have a stainless .336 in 30/30 that has the JM stamp on the barrel.
I was really close to getting a Henry Big Boy All Weather in .357 a few years ago, but I couldn't get over the tube loading system. I had to have a side gate loader. At that time, the stainless Rossis were all out of stock, so I couldn't get one of those. As much as I was Jonesing for a .357 lever gun, I went for a Winchester 1873, since that was the best option in stock. It is a sweet shooting rifle and as smooth as butter to operate. I'm just too fixated on protecting it to want to use it too much. I need the knock-around characteristics of stainless. Also, the 1894's method of lock-up will go a lot longer than the toggle lock-up of the 1873. That's the trade-off. The toggle system makes it run like silk, but there are mechanical points absorbing recoil, rather than non-moving blocks as there are in the 1894 system.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
There was a 53 second video on the Marlin Facebook page Aug 9th.
Ruger's CEO watched this receiver get buffed out.
What does this suggest?

Glasses Motor vehicle Eyewear Tool Engineering

·
Registered
496 Posts
I was really close to getting a Henry Big Boy All Weather in .357 a few years ago, but I couldn't get over the tube loading system. I had to have a side gate loader. At that time, the stainless Rossis were all out of stock, so I couldn't get one of those. As much as I was Jonesing for a .357 lever gun, I went for a Winchester 1873, since that was the best option in stock. It is a sweet shooting rifle and as smooth as butter to operate. I'm just too fixated on protecting it to want to use it too much. I need the knock-around characteristics of stainless. Also, the 1894's method of lock-up will go a lot longer than the toggle lock-up of the 1873. That's the trade-off. The toggle system makes it run like silk, but there are mechanical points absorbing recoil, rather than non-moving blocks as there are in the 1894 system.
Henry now has some side gate rifles.
My only complaint with Henry is the weight. Their Big Boy in .44mag is a chore to carry in the woods while hunting, I never had that problem with the Marlin 1894. I regret selling that Marlin now.

Here is one of their "All weather" side gate rifles (just in case the new marlins don't fit your needs).

41 - 60 of 65 Posts