Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Not trying to sound like a naysayer here, but when typical prices for inexpensive, name brand scopes are in the $100 - $200 range, I can't help but wonder what kind of optical quality your going to get for your $30...

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Not trying to sound like a naysayer here, but when typical prices for inexpensive, name brand scopes are in the $100 - $200 range, I can't help but wonder what kind of optical quality your going to get for your $30...
I kind of wondered that too so I bought one. Think I'll try it out on my Handi-Rifle.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Does it really matter at that price? Who possibly could expect S&B quality for a whopping $30?......
That wasn't my point. But since you bring it up, can you expect a $30 scope to even be comparable to a low end, budget priced $150 Nikon, Bushnell, or Weaver? I don't think that would be a fair comparison either. I do believe that like so many other things, when it comes to optics, you tend to get what you pay for. The last scope I bought, which was a couple years ago, was a Nikon Prostaff 2-7x32 Shotgun Hunter on clearance for $90 at Cabela's (originally sold for about $150)... I thought that was a pretty good deal for a decent quality scope.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
That wasn't my point. But since you bring it up, can you expect a $30 scope to even be comparable to a low end, budget priced $150 Nikon, Bushnell, or Weaver? I don't think that would be a fair comparison either. I do believe that like so many other things, when it comes to optics, you tend to get what you pay for. The last scope I bought, which was a couple years ago, was a Nikon Prostaff 2-7x32 Shotgun Hunter on clearance for $90 at Cabela's (originally sold for about $150)... I thought that was a pretty good deal for a decent quality scope.
It is a low end, budget priced Weaver. It sounds like you got a good deal on your Nikon at Cabela's. I just got a Nikon Prostaff 4x32 Rimfire from them for $75. When someone post what they think is a good deal, you have a choice. That to me, is what makes this country great, you always have a choice!

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I bet its not even a Weaver but rather a cheap knockoff. The logo doesn't look right.
You know 303, I thought the same thing & was going to ask you because I know you know Weavers & you have spoke of having many older ones. The model # is close to other Weavers & I have found it on many websights & thought it might be like some of the lower-priced Bushnell's that come on some rifle/scope combo deals. These scopes are not on Bushnell's websight either. They got my $30, so I will give it a try. I have not found any other Weavers with a "W" on the side.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I bet its not even a Weaver but rather a cheap knockoff. The logo doesn't look right.
I have a hard copy of the 2013 Weaver catalog, and this scope is not listed anywhere, even though it appears to have an item number similar to what Weaver uses. It could very well be one of those cheap scopes used for low end rimfire combos.

·
Registered
10,157 Posts
I am certain the $30.00 scope is a imported scope from China that Weaver has for a entry level scope. I recently bought a Marlin X7 bolt action scope combo. The scope is the same scope 3-9x40 Weaver but surprisingly is really clear scope. It's bore sighted but I need to get out & sight it in. I do plan in the future to get a scope that has BDC for .223 Remington. But for now this scope is just fine.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Can anyone find any specs on this? A/O?
It is what it says, just a Weaver entry-level 3x9x40mm scope with weaver rings for $30. If it had an AO, it would have a 3rd knob.

Here's the specs I could find. Google is your friend!

Weaver 3-9X40 MM Dual X Rifle Scope with Rings Features:
1 inch Tubes
Fully multi coated lenses
Hard coating on exterior lenses

Weaver 3-9X40 MM Dual X Rifle Scope with Rings Specifications:
Exit Pupil (mm): 13
Field of view [email protected] yards/ [email protected]: 33.9-11.3
Eye relief (inches): 3
Length (inches): 12.2.0
Click Value in @100yards/ [email protected]: 0.25
Adjustment range [email protected] yards / m: 62.84
Weight (oz): 14.2.
Construction:One piece tube construction
Dimensions: 3 H x 15 W x 3 D inches

·
Registered
196 Posts
Ordered 1 also, found a rebate form at LGS, and there might even be a $25 rebate, lol

PSA is a legit outfit so I doubt it's counterfeit if that's what y'all were implying

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Ordered 1 also, found a rebate form at LGS, and there might even be a $25 rebate, lol

PSA is a legit outfit so I doubt it's counterfeit if that's what y'all were implying
I posted that I e-mailed Weaver & got a response. It's their scope!

Please post or link to a rebate form for a $30 scope. I would love that!:cool:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I bought a used Leupold VX2c off Craigslist for $100. As long as I keep it, I will have a good scope with a lifetime warranty and if I decide to sell it, I will make money.
Buy this $30 pos and it will never be a good scope. Then when you attempt to sell it, you will learn it's true value.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts