Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just wanted to say howdy and welcome to 45 Colt. He's a good man, I've known him personally for a couple of years, and he has much to share. Ask him about ghost towns, or gold prospecting, or Big Foot, or hand loading. Lots of knowledge, soft spoken and true blue. Loves them big guns and hot loads, too! Methinks you're going to enjoy his presence here. He reminds me a lot of our good friend Snuffy; neither one of them has any BS in them, both have good old down home wisdom and outlooks on life, and both are there when ya need them. We all just got a little more wealthy, in my opinion. Hope you post here lots, 45 Colt!

Peace and God bless, Wolfsong.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Thanks for the introduction Wolfsong. With you recommending him I am sure he is a fine person and will be a great asset to each of us and the Board. :)

·
Registered
704 Posts
Guess now's the time to jump in with a belated WELCOME... Sorry to be so late.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Now talk of old ghost towns and old gold mines will get my ears perked up anytime. Wonder if he has seen the dancing lights on the hills out in the desert on a dark night?
My old desert prowler - wish I still had it!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hi Guys:D,
Just happened to come here.
Hope I'm not late.[:0]
Wolfsong,THANK YOU !:D
Guess,we'll leave BF over at GBO.;)
When the situation improves,sure would like to go
ghost town hunting.Would be nice to be rich,or at least close to it.
Too hot to do any loading.
Well guess,get going on mounting a scope base on my 45-70.
Next,get a scope on it.Gonna leave the Springfield alone.
Y'all hang in there !

·
Registered
320 Posts
Thanks EddieF :D
Haven't seen a bug like that in a long time.
In Escondido,some brothers I knew in high school
used to build sand/dune buggies. A few years before graduation.
Don't know if that welding/blacksmith shop is still on North Broadway or not.
Last time I was in Escondido,was in 1981.
Don't ever want to return.Too much culture shock.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Glad to have you join us 45 Colt! :) Got any stories about that wolfsong that need to be put out in the open? [?] Remember, we are all friends here & it won't go any further! :D:D:D

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
quote:Originally posted by kansas45

Glad to have you join us 45 Colt! :) Got any stories about that wolfsong that need to be put out in the open? [?] Remember, we are all friends here & it won't go any further! :D:D:D

Stories, Kansas, ya want stories? That's a mighty big can o' worms to be opening! :D Which ones ya want to hear? the one about approaching a downed 250 pound hog with nothing but my S&W .40, loaded with Hydra-shok 125 gr. hollow points? And finding out that personal defense rounds aren't the best round for really pissed off wounded hogs? And that I could really jump 10 feet in the air, turn around in midair, run without my feet touching the ground while emptying a 10 round mag at the hog and actually hitting him 4 times? All this while my friends were rolling on the ground laughing their arses off instead of having my 6 and shooting the damn thing? Or the story about introducing myself to the wife of a multi-millionaire (who happened to own the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at the time) at a private social event as my mother's DAUGHTER? That's right, I introduced myself as Mrs. Judd's (my mom) DAUGHTER! Or how about the time I baited my hook with a live shrimp while fishing off of the Sunshine Skyway bridge in Tampa Bay, lowered my bait bucket back down into the bay, and watched it drift out into the Gulf of Mexico because I neglected to tie it off? 5 dozen shrimp gone and a mile walk back to the bait shop. My friends weren't happy...Then there's the time we had a little too much to drink, decided to sail our little 4 man sail boat naked back to the boat launch and proceeded to flip and sink the sailboat, along with everything on it, including our cloths. We did manage to cling on to the ice chest though, and calmly finished the beers in it before being picked up by the Marine Patrol. The two ladies with us weren't particularly happy about the whole situation, but the Marine Patrol officers seemed to enjoy it. So did all the diners on the three deck paddlewheel dinner boat that was conducting the evening dinner cruise...

Stories, I got stories. Alas, old 45 Colt didn't know me then, so I don't think he can add much to the list, but I'd be more than happy to share them with ya. tell ya what, come on out here some day and share a campfire with us, and you'll hear some classic stories, all of them true. Well, maybe a few embellishments for artistic value but 95% true. The harder we laugh the more stories we tell. We'll save ya a fireside stump to sit on. Come on out. There's even another hunting trailer story involving diarrhea, a chihuahua, a Sierra Nevada wind storm and falling trees. We're tough on trailers... BTW, have you ever seen what a 7mm mag can do to a 100 pound deer, shot twice - once in the neck at 50 yards and the finishing shot to the stomach from about 10 feet away? I've never hunted with that guy again. I'll leave it at that for now.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hi Guys :D ,
Thank you.
Earlier,was looking at the pics of members, and the thread of
what do you do for work. looks like I'm in excellent company.
Like programmers,comptechs,etc.
Will do a short version here:Been in computers for over 22-23 years.
Build,maintain,troubleshoot them.Do this on the side,I really hate to say "This is going to be.....".Since I'm not in business,I don't charge.Some insists (sp!).So, I just say,"Whatever you think it is."
Yes,made a few bucks here, and there.
Sometimes,I'll have to swap out their boards for mine that do work.
(Can't do that anymore.Have only 1 up-to-date board.Many good HDD's
I have left are few.)Had to retrofit a big server case.No biggie.
With it,I can have 8 drives(external) and a lot more inside.
This one,running 8 HDD's.A work horse this one is !1 gig of memory in it.
The newest one is a 3.06-08 GHZ,1 gig memory.Rarely use it.
Had a post for here this morning,close to 3:00AM.
Decided to say, screw it,re-do it.
Hi Wolfsong,here's my take on a 40 S+W:
Yes, those ballistics are impressive.
July 4th,while me and Richard were at the range in Oakdale,
I picked up a live 40 S+W.
It looks like the case capacity,is fairly close to a 38 Special.
You're right about getting a wild pig PO'd !
A huntin round it ain't.But,look at the other calibers and guns that were adapted for hunting.A whole slew of them.
The 45 Colt,357,41,44 mags, that wasn't designed for hunting.Yet are in many cases now, are doing a good job.
For handgun hunting,especially for like, wild pig on up,would suggest
a minumum of a 41 mag.It's all matching the caliber and gun for the size game.Some works quite nicely for nearly anyhing on this lower 48.
In my collection,I'd say I have a wide range for pig,on up.
Always have a backup. Murphy isn't the kindest ! Springs can break, sights break or knocked off,firing pins breaks,etc.
Don't happen often,but when it happens.....
Will just be glad to get all of my guns sighted in.
Get semi-ready for hunting.The license and tags feels like a long way off for now.
Liked those,uh, somewhat embarrassing moments.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well now, 45 Colt, I wasn't hunting hogs with my .40, I was using my trusty Remington BDL 30.06. Nailed him twice in the shoulder from about 100 yards with 180 gr. Winchester\Nosler ballistic tips. Watched him for a few minutes, laid my rifle down, and proceeded to walk up on him. The reason that I had my .40 with me was that while grabbing a soft case that I thought had my 6 inch GP 100. 357 mag in it, to carry as my back up, I inadvertently picked up the case that had the .40 in it. Didn't realize that I had the wrong gun until we were parked and getting ready to hit the hills. All I can say is that the gun and the Hydra-shoks did the job, but I was extremely lucky. Trust me, a .40 loaded with 125 gr PD ammo is not my choice for hunting! Yeah, I made a couple of mistakes in judgment, but at least there's another story to tell and retell around the campfire. Have I told you guys the one about the 3 hogs we shot that were eating on the rotten carcass of a very dead horse? Needless to say, the bacon wasn't very tasty...unless you're a buzzard.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Interesting story.:D
I should have thought, there was more to it.So, anyway,[:I].
Don't worry,I like bacon.
Thanks for the clarification.
If there's a pretty much a do-it-all round, the 30-06 is it.
Looks like Murphy was imvolved.
Will be glad to sit with ya round the fire !
Before this is forgotten,got a PM to ya.
My marbles keeps dropping out on the ground.
Did you say, don't beat or eat a dead horse ??;)
That would have been good carnage asada pics !
Guess,squeak season is comming.
Be glad when bunny season starts...the fuzzy cottontails.
Oh, forgot,not on California Predators Club forum.
A squeak is a squirrel.Carnage asada are pics of what those varmint calibers do.
Came across a thread of a squirrel forum.Those guys in the CPC were ornery ! It was really hilarious ! They would register at the tree hugger squirrel forum, then cut loose !Some got banned.
If ya want a real GOOD laugh til ya cry,this is it.They know how to stir the pot !
There is a link to the squirrel forum.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Great stories wolfsong! :) Maybe we should start a forum member stories section. I'll bet that we all have some good one's! :D

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hi Kansas45,
Good idea.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Same here Kansas.
No doubt !

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Hey! Anybody around here a Physic[?] I took my AR to the fishin' hole yesterday to help thin down the turtle population. I came home with a loaded 30 round mag. I put the rifle away & instead of placing the mag back in it's normal range bag, I laid it down somewhere in the house. I can't find it anywhere![:0] No one has been in here since then, so it wouldn't have been moved. Sometimes I feel like such a dumb-ass!:D

·
Registered
320 Posts
YES I can help !!
Price is $20,000.00.
It's somewhere in the house !:D
Check please ![:0]
Yeah,know what you mean.
Does Darwin work with non-living things ?(Sprouting legs ?)
Quit looking for it,and you'll find it.Never fails.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts