Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had an adventure Wednesday night at a traffic light. I always watch the rear view mirror at traffic lights because half the drivers here are total idiots. Good thing! I told my wife, "He's not stopping!" as I got my foot off the brake and hit the gas. We were just barely moving when he plowed into us at 55+ mph without braking at all. We're mostly OK other than my wife needing doctoring with back pains and bruises.

But the reason I'm telling about this in the CCW section is that I really appreciated the deputy who got there in less than a minute. He was very young, but did a great job along with the other half dozen or so LEOs and the fire department.

After they were done getting my info and statement, he helped me get our stuff out of the car while we waited for the tow trucks. I let him know that my pistol was in the center console and I have a permit. He matter-of-factly said, "That's fine. How do you normally carry it?" I told him I carry it in my front pocket and it was in the pocket holster at the time. He said, "Then just put it in your pocket." No fuss, no muss. I was a little surprised that he didn't ask to see my permit before letting me pocket the gun, but it seemed like those guys were very used to having that conversation.

Hats off to him and the many others who try so hard to keep us safe.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
99% of LEO's are good folks. Glad you and your wife weren't seriously injured.

·
Registered
917 Posts
We had an adventure Wednesday night at a traffic light. I always watch the rear view mirror at traffic lights because half the drivers here are total idiots. Good thing! I told my wife, "He's not stopping!" as I got my foot off the brake and hit the gas. We were just barely moving when he plowed into us at 55+ mph without braking at all. We're mostly OK other than my wife needing doctoring with back pains and bruises.

But the reason I'm telling about this in the CCW section is that I really appreciated the deputy who got there in less than a minute. He was very young, but did a great job along with the other half dozen or so LEOs and the fire department.

After they were done getting my info and statement, he helped me get our stuff out of the car while we waited for the tow trucks. I let him know that my pistol was in the center console and I have a permit. He matter-of-factly said, "That's fine. How do you normally carry it?" I told him I carry it in my front pocket and it was in the pocket holster at the time. He said, "Then just put it in your pocket." No fuss, no muss. I was a little surprised that he didn't ask to see my permit before letting me pocket the gun, but it seemed like those guys were very used to having that conversation.

Hats off to him and the many others who try so hard to keep us safe.
Man, glad you and your wife are ok! I always do the rear view mirror thing too. Glad the officer was professional about your carry situation too...always a fresh breath of air when it is like that. ;)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. The courtesy and professionalism of all the responders really was a breath of fresh air in a situation that could have been infinitely worse -- especially if you saw the damage to our car. WOW!

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Glad you and the wife were not seriously injured.

Had that happen once in Colorado Springs. Problem was, there was a car in front of me so I had nowhere to go. That officer pretty much chewed me out for not getting out of the way. Of course, I had enough space that I did not hit the car in front of me and he just drove off when the light changed.

Glad your experience was better.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
"I always watch the rear view mirror at traffic lights because most of the drivers everywhere are total idiots."

Fixed it for you.
:D

So glad everyone is pretty ok.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Idiots they are, I was rear ended 3 times in a one year period driving a brand new '85 SUV, no one had any insurance, that was in southern California btw. Note at the time I was a police officer and always carried CCW and was always aware of what was going on behind me, as well as all around me.

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
Very glad you and your loved one were not seriously hurt.
Rear-enders when traffic suddenly stops makes up a high percentage of the accidents that tie up Southern California freeway traffic.
Happens multiple times every day usually involving 3 or more vehicles.

When about 20 years old I was driving a VW on the freeway and traffic suddenly stopped.
I was watching the rearview mirrior and saw that the guy behind me wasn't even looking ahead.
Fortunately I was in the #1 lane so quickly pulled into the median as the car squealed and skidded by me in the traffic lane.
He looked at me sheepishly and was kind enough to let me take my place back in the traffic lane when things got moving again.
Not sure how CHP and LEO would handle the CCW issue in California.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"I always watch the rear view mirror at traffic lights because most of the drivers everywhere are total idiots."

Fixed it for you.
:D

So glad everyone is pretty ok.
Me too, Planeguy! I learned that in motorcycle safety training.

Idiots they are, I was rear ended 3 times in a one year period driving a brand new '85 SUV, no one had any insurance, that was in southern California btw. Note at the time I was a police officer and always carried CCW and was always aware of what was going on behind me, as well as all around me.
True, dat, Loose Noose! I warned my son when he got his license that half the drivers on the road are, by definition, less than average in intelligence.

Very glad you and your loved one were not seriously hurt.
Rear-enders when traffic suddenly stops makes up a high percentage of the accidents that tie up Southern California freeway traffic.
Happens multiple times every day usually involving 3 or more vehicles.

When about 20 years old I was driving a VW on the freeway and traffic suddenly stopped.
I was watching the rearview mirrior and saw that the guy behind me wasn't even looking ahead.
Fortunately I was in the #1 lane so quickly pulled into the median as the car squealed and skidded by me in the traffic lane.
He looked at me sheepishly and was kind enough to let me take my place back in the traffic lane when things got moving again.
Not sure how CHP and LEO would handle the CCW issue in California.
Appreciate that, abarrena! Glad you were alert and had time to get out of the way. Sadly, there was nothing sudden about this one except the impact. We had been waiting at that light for about a minute.

I spent about 9 months doing consulting work in Torrance, CA. I came back to Tampa every other weekend. I saw few wrecks out there and the guys in the plant were always amazed when I told them how many wrecks I'd seen here in Tampa over the weekend. Some of them involved seeing blankets on top of dead bodies. If not for a job I love, a church I love, and family I love, I'd be out of this death trap in a shot. Maybe move someplace safer like an artillery practice range. :rolleyes:

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,543 Posts
Glad you and your wife are ok and hope that you don't feel any lingering pain from the accident.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I am glad you all are okay. I am almost surprised that he didn't ask what you carried or had a comment about it won't do you much good in there.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am glad you all are okay. I am almost surprised that he didn't ask what you carried or had a comment about it won't do you much good in there.
The reason I put it there when driving is that it's a LOT faster if I need it than trying to get it out of the pocket of my shorts. :D

I was also a little surprised at his lack of comment. It was like he didn't care one way or the other, but I suppose he had other things on his mind like the hundreds of boneheads flying by at 60 mph or so in the only remaining open lane. One was so egregious that one of the leos jumped in his car and chased him/her down. I heard the shout "Slow down!!!!" more times than I'd want to count.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
99% of LEO's are good folks. Glad you and your wife weren't seriously injured.
Thanks. Very true about the LEO's. Neighbor across the street is a deputy. Seems like a really nice guy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.