Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone here has had any experience with A1 Optics lighted crosshair scopes? I see them on E-Bay and they actually compare themselves with the likes of many higher end name brands. I prefer Leoupold & Zeiss on my rifles but always lose money when selling or trading up, it's seems like most buyers don't take into account the cost of the optic when buying a used rifle. All my "keepers" have either Leoupold's or Zeiss with the exception of my .257 Weatherby that has a Swarovski 3x12. I have never heard of these A1 Optic scopes before but I must admit that the concept of the lighted crosshair seems like a good idea for early/late day (low light) deer hunting. They have a pretty impressive side by side comparison photo of their scope and a "regular" scope as they put it. If it truly does what they say, for the price that they charge, it would certainly be worth the little cost. I have ordered one for a Remington 597 .22Mag that was an absolute tack driver at 150 yards with a basic Redfield 3x7 scope that was damaged by my ill placement of it while retrieving other rifles out of my truck (I leaned it up against a picnic table and knocked it over accidentially with another rifle) the scope took a direct hit against a concrete sidewalk and it is now a loss. While searching for reviews of these A1 Optics scopes all I could find is folks like myself that were asking if anyone has tried them or not. No real answers. If you have tried one or know someone that has, I'd really like to hear about it, if not and you're curious about them then I'll be posting my very own "review" about the 3x12 illuminated model in a week or two.

·
Registered
113 Posts
With optics, you usually get what you pay for.... I'd hate to say it, but I'd call BS on the quality for that price. Any scope for under $100 that brags up what it has is probably junk. I hope your review says otherwise, but I am guessing it will not be good. When you look at the description and you see wording like "burn out proof" when explaining that it uses a LED vs. a filament bulb to illuminate it? That just screams gimmick to me. Here is a link so everyone else can see what I think is just another Jap-crap product.

A1optic Rifle Scope 8-32x50 for Hunting gun Rangefinder | eBay

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're probably right pizzadave, I too believe that you get what you pay for when it comes to optics but in the case that it is a POS, I have an old tubefed Mossburg .22 that I can put it on and probably get another Cabelas scope for the Remington. I have an Alaskan guide scope from them and they are a top notch scope. I was also considering this A1 for an old Remington 870 slug gun. They have a money back guarantee so if it's really that bad I'll just send it back and take the hit on the shipping.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Had an A-1 Optics 30mm Red Dot, that self destructed on my .45 Colt, on the third shot.
(Front lens exploded. Looked like coarse ground salt on the shooting bench.)

They promptly refunded my money, no problem. I replaced it with a Millett, & never looked back.
'
'
'
'
'
'
'

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey pizzadave, I forgot to address your use of the phrase "Jap-crap" when describing items that are actually made in China. I don't mean to belittle you for that and I certainly do know that the Japanese can make some crappy products just like the U.S.A. and pretty much every other country that flies a flag, but China is actually the country notorious for making low quality, low cost, and sometimes downright dangerous products. Japan has been taking the blame for China's poor quality goods for damn near a century. For instance, if there was one single fishing reel manufacturer in the U.S.A. that made a reel that was half as good as an average Japanese reel, I would be the first in line to buy a dozen or so! Their motorcycles and cars are also now top quality. China however, chooses to manufacture quantity not quality which gives all of Asia a bad rap. They also use materials that can be downright dangerous to us, our family's and our pet's. This is one of the reasons you'll often see a Japanese person get so insulted for being referred to as a "chink" (my wife is Japanese) and I have heard people say that and I had to hold her back on a few occasions. I don't mean to pick on you for that phrase because when I was younger I actually used it a few times myself but I just wanted to make sure you understood that it really no longer applies to Japanese products as they are "head & shoulders" above China and most other countries as far as quality products are concerned.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I use an A1 1.5-6x-32mm scope on my Saiga 12 gauge pig-shooter. I have used it for over a year, run about 400 rounds of slugs thru the gun and the scope holds it's zero fairly well and never failed to light up when I hit the lighting-ON button. I believe it sold on Ebay for about $70 (shipping included).

I have AIM 3x9x40mm compact scopes on a couple of my lever guns. The do a great job...but I barely put 100 rounds thru each one in a year (one 30-30 and one 444 Marlin)
I am considering getting another one to put on my recently acquired Mini-30.

Here's the A1 1.5-6x scope- on my Saiga

Here is the AIM 3x9x40mm Tac Scope on my Marlin 444

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The above mentioned A1Optic lighted scope has worked extremely well on my Remington 597 .22WMR. I can cloverleaf with it at 150 yds, I used it for three sets of 500 rounds and it's holding zero perfectly but the .22WMR has hardly any recoil. I don't think I'd put it on a higher end, higher recoil rifle but for a rimfire, it seems well suited. I have no complaints so far.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A-1 Optic

I put an A-1 4x16 50mm scope on my 270 and it would not zero in. I took it to a gunsmith and he told me the cross hairs were floating and it could not be sighted in. I sent it back to A-1 optic and it has been over a year and still
have not received a replacement. I have emailed them several times and
have not received a reply. As far as I'm concerned there warranty and there
product is worthless. I only paid $79.00 for it on ebay so it's not that big of a deal.
But just thought I would post the experience I have had with them.
Maybe save someone the time and trouble I have had.

I ended up putting a Leupold on it and the gun shoots fine.
So I know it was the scope.

·
Registered
1 Posts
With optics, you usually get what you pay for.... I'd hate to say it, but I'd call BS on the quality for that price. Any scope for under $100 that brags up what it has is probably junk. I hope your review says otherwise, but I am guessing it will not be good. When you look at the description and you see wording like "burn out proof" when explaining that it uses a LED vs. a filament bulb to illuminate it? That just screams gimmick to me. Here is a link so everyone else can see what I think is just another Jap-crap product.

A1optic Rifle Scope 8-32x50 for Hunting gun Rangefinder | eBay
Well I have a A1 optic 6-24x50mm on my 270 Remington have had it on the gun for 6 years paid 80 dollars for scope. Sighted in after putting on gun HAVE NOT HAD TO SIGHT IN SINCE put on gun. Has been dropped from stand one time still sighted in perfectly. Not had any problems at all so you can't say scopes under 100 or not good as the high dollar scopes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts