Ruger Forum banner

About face on the American

3K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  G36shooter 
#1 ·
Ok so when the Americans first showed up I maligned them and described them as looks only a mother could love, well they have grown on me to the point where I struck a deal today for one of each, AGAIN I SAY you people put ideas in my head and I do things as a result LOL.
I have the nine and will use it tomorrow with report to follow and will pick up the 45 Monday and report later on that

#8 ·
Every mag I read has written a very positive review of it. The last one was tonight and the guy said thta other Ruger pistols were always a little ho-hum but the American was a different story and at least equal to or better than any other maker's product out there.

I've read the story about the design decisions that went into it and I was impressed. I'm a 1911 guy and really don't give the time of day to striker fired guns, but after reading about the design decisions of the Americans I would at least give it a solid look.

#9 ·
I Love my Ruger American in 9mm. Works well for me, and the people that like Iron and Wood and even the ones that don't like Ruger. I say that is what makes the world go round and so darn interesting and frustrating at the same time. As Hickok45 say's Life is Good.

Looking forward to the range report. Hope ypu really enjoy them both.

#14 ·
Im not interested until a compact 45 comes out. I do applaud Ruger for starting to offer pistols without magazine disconnects. A manual safety is a personal preference, but a mag disco is a deal breaker for me. Too many other pistols are available without mag discos. Glad the new Americans don't have a mag disco.

#15 ·
I have the RAP in 9mm with the 17 round magazines. Love the gun. I have about 500 rounds through it and works great. I prefer an adjustable rear sight but after some practice, I put all the rounds in either the 9 or 10 ring in a standard pistol bullseye target at 15 yards. My only gripe is the cost of extra magazines ($39.95). Fortunately I found Buds Gun Shop had them for sale a $28.95. I bought two.
I like the chrisp trigger which lets off at under 6 pounds. Some don't like the reset, I don't have a problem with it. I shoot it weekly along with some of my other pistols.
What most gun owners dislike about shooting is cleaning the guns afterwards. The RAP is the easiest gun to clean I have ever owned.
I shoot mostly reloads and my most used powder is CFE Pistol. I reload 115 gr, 125 gr and 147 gr bullets (I currently get my bullets from X-treme, I get their plated RN versions). I also reload 125 gr JHP bullets. The RAP takes them all without any issues.
The RAP is my first stricter fired poly frame pistol. I'm a convert. Prior to that I was a Big John M. Browning fan. I love both the M1911 in 45ACP and the high power in 9mm. As I age, I tend to gravate towards the 9 9mm round. I still shoot the 45ACP weekly but I really enjoy the 9mm pistols. The 17 round mags take some getting use to. I thought the 13 round mags in the Browning carried a lot of rounds. Add another 4 rounds plus one in the chamber and I feel like it takes a long time to empty a mag. While I carry my RAP as a concealed weapon, I am looking for a Ruger 9mm with a shorter barrel for the summer time when I am wearing less clothes and it's harder to conceal.

#16 ·
I still have not put hands on one yet, they have not showed up at my LGS.

#17 ·
We've sold four of them in our shop since they were introduced on 12/30. I am very impressed by both the 9 and the 45. Very comfortable in the hand, excellent fit and finish, accurate, and one of the best triggers in the "safe action" class...much better than Glock, FN or SIG, almost as good as Walther.

I don't understand why the .45 only holds 10 rounds. Given the size of the gun, similar to a G21, it seems to me they easily could have given it the same capacity.

#21 ·
If I had to guess, the grip frame on the 9mm and the .45 are the same size, circumference and length, to allow 12,13rnds. of .45 the frame would have to be larger in diameter. My thoughts. If someone has both caliber RAP's take some measurements with the grip panels removed and let us know.

#18 ·
Ok so I've returned from a day of shooting including the RAP 9 mm, Today was just a Sunday fun day so didn't really work on targets and such but had no problem hitting the objects we had scattered about so I guess the sights are relatively close ,so a few first time observations,,,,
After going to the large grip panel the gun points perfectly for me,
I like Novak type sights so this is perfect for me,
250 rounds of various manufacturers mostly 115 gr absolutely no issues feeding or firing everything works perfectly,
I had no problems with the web of my hand as a few others have reported,
I like the trigger, I will say the first shot after hadling something else was always difficult but after one stroke I am able to make the adjustment no problem, I think it helps that I am used to operating many different systems and as I said can make the adjustment no prob, once I get more time with it the first shot deal should disappear
Fit and finish are surprisingly good,
I too am happy about the mag disc going away,
And I say this gun is just as good as anything else I've used be it a sig, HK,Glock XD etc. of course its always is a ford Chevy thing for most people but again I like it so that's what matters.
So not much in the way of technical info here but I hope my opinion helps someone along the line
Have a good week
Respectfully
DAD 45

#19 ·
I like the 45 one also .Only complaint is 10rd mags as stated above. Even if they made a plus 2 base plate I would be satisfied. Mec-gar said they were going to make a larger capacity mag for the sr45 when it came out. Never happened so I guess there won't be one for the rap either.

#20 ·
It likely depends on the success of the gun. If a gun does well it makes sense for other companies to invest in offering accessories. The lack of non-Ruger mags for the SRs is probably due to sales not being high enough.

Hopefully the RAP is a success and we get some third party accessories. For example, I'd love to see some more grip options.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.