Ruger Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
10,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I have a original Ruger Bisley Vaquero it's the larger frame not the New Model. It's a .357 magnum with a 5-1/2 inch barrel in stainless steel. My question is I have seen Ruger Blackhawks in .357/.38 special that also have a extra cylinder in 9mm. It's it possible to get a cylinder in 9 mm that would work in my Ruger Bisley Vaquero? Thanks in advance!!:D

· Ruger Tinkerer
11,901 Posts
Yes...no...maybe...

I have seen cylinders for sale on eBay. If you could get your hands on one you might have a local gunsmith fit it for you - check the timing, gap, etc.

You could ask Ruger if you sent your gun in would they fit a 9MM cylinder for you. It never hurts to ask but I suspect they will say no based on what I've read in other threads. That may be a cylinder they no longer stock given the change over to the smaller New Vaquero frame. Then again they may say yes - you won't know until you ask. Perhaps they have a few old 9MM cylinders they would like to sell....

I would be curious to hear how you make out. I have a New Vaquero in 45ACP and I would love to have a cylinder in 45 Colt for it. They make the same gun both ways but I hear they won't sell just a cylinder, even if you send them the gun to fit it.

Wave

· Registered
671 Posts
If you can't locate a 9mm cylinder then call up.Hamilton Bowen as he can machine you one. If you can find one off one of the various auction sites you still may need to have a smith make sure it functions well in your gun.

· Registered
10,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I understand BlkHawk73 what you are explaining, so which Ruger would I need to find a 9mm cylinder from? My first thoughts would be a older model Ruger Blackhawk? In .357/38special that had a 9 mm cylinder? My Ruger Vaquero has a larger frame then the New Model Vaquero's and the New Model Blackhawk so this is where my ?'s are. In pure facts it would be easier for me just to go out and buy a newer Ruger Blackhawk convertible model .358/38 special with a 9mm cylinder. That thought has come past me! I have seen 2 of these Blackhawk Contvertible units they were about $400-$500.00 price range and this was used makes me feel cheaper to buy a new one! Daring to bet having a cylinder made for my gun would be a least $300.00 oh well nice though I guess thanks!

· Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
18,547 Posts
gqucool, Ruger manages to keep us in a state of confusion .... only the "Flat Top" Blackhawks and New Vaqueros have the "mid-sized frame. The regular New Model Blackhawk has the same frame size as when first put on the market in 1973 and is compatible with your Vaquero.

9mm Blackhawk cylinders aren't easy to find and when you do find one, there's a good chance it will not fit your gun properly. There are 4 main parameters ... timing, B/C gap, endshake, and headspace. If any one of these are off ... the cylinder may not operate properly. That's why Ruger hand fits each cylinder to each frame at the factory.

· Registered
6,515 Posts
You'd need to find one from a lg frame BH. Large frame:large frame. Good chance it'll fit but no guarantee. I've swapped them and had no issues. Kinda a luck of the draw thing. As Iowegan said, there's parameters. For the absolute best results, have a GOOD gunsmith supply and fit one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.