Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I first learned to shoot when I was 9 at a YMCA camp just out side Louisville, KY in 1952. I bought my first gun, a Winchester 67, 4 years later. We were living on my grandfather's farm near Poland, NY. I hunted a lot with that 22. Still have it. I had several other rifles while in NY, an Enfield, an 8mm M98 and a Quackenbush. How many of you have heard of a Quackenbush much less shot one? I ran an 8 mile trap line while in highschool.

Started reloading in 1964 for a 38 Spec. Colt Official Police with a Lee loader but quickly graduated to a RCBS Rock Chucker which I still use. I had an FFL for about 6 years while working for Halliburton Co., Dick Chaney's old company. I would buy for my coworkers at cost plus 5% so they got guns at almost wholesale and I had a lot of fun but didn't make much money.

I belonged to the Fort Worth rifle and pistol club for a number of years before it closed. I shot high power silhouette using a Ruger bull barreled M77s in 25/06 and .280 Rem. The rifle I currently use is a Savage 110 that is set up for barrel switch. I have a 30/06, 25/06 and 22/250 barrels for it. I put it in a barrel vise, break the barrel nut loose, unscrew the barrel and replace it with a different barrel, using a headspace gage of course, and in 20 minutes have a different rifle.

I shoot a scoped BH 357, GP100, S&W686, Ruger Mark I and as of yesterday a SP101 for my pocket.

We have 15 acres of woods and live in the middle of it. We have lots of critters in the front yard, deer, raccoons, turkey, squirrels and rabbits. Once in a while a bobcat or coyote.

I will be married 40 on 1 Sept this year. Have one son and a grandson who will get the Winchester 67 when he is old enough. My son got the DCM Garand I had.

I have had 21 motorcycles and currently ride a restored Yamaha 650 Maxim. I don?t like the current crotch rockets. I have a private pilot?s certificate with an instrument rating. I have a little over 300 hrs as pilot in command.

Hope this is enough Bio.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Welcome from Texas! Afraid the only thing i know about the Quackenbush is in a line in an old western movie in which it was a hidden jug of shine (Jim Quackenbush). Sounds like your purty active and have a good collection going there. Heck just looking at them ninja bikes makes my back hurt. Chased one a cpl of weeks ago, got away but found him wrecked out an hr later---he's lucky to be alive.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Welcome aboard, glad to meet you, hope you enjoy it here, jump right in anytime. By the way
I have a Quackenbush. Didn't know anyone else ever heard of one.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
welcome glad to have ya with us.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Rugers and motor-cycles go together.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't figured out how the ranking works but I left the Army a SFC E-7. So I guess I will have to get busy with new posts.

·
Registered
304 Posts
quote:Originally posted by 15AcreWoods

I haven't figured out how the ranking works but I left the Army a SFC E-7. So I guess I will have to get busy with new posts.
Firstly, welcome!

Secondly, the ranking works by the number of posts you have. Once you reach a certain number you go up in rank.

Now if only it was that easy in real life. :D

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Hi 15AcreWoods, Glad you signed up. Good bio, very interesting. Sounds like you keep busy. I'll bet we can all learn something from your experiences. Always wanted to fly but never had the opportunity.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
15AcreWoods,
Warmest of welcomes from Connecticut, hope you continue to enjoy the fellowship here, great people and great guns, I am wondering what county Poland,NY is in as I am originally from Westchester and lived for awhile in Columbia County. Nice bio you've got there, really enjoyed reading it. May God continue to bless you and yours, and again welcome,
peace

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Poland is in Herkimer County, about 20 miles north of Utica on Highway 8. We lived on a 360 acre dairy farm on Rose Valley Rd. The farm has been in the family since the Revolution. It is part of a Revolutionary War grant given for service in the Continental Army. There are about 1800 maple trees and we made maple syrup every spring.

quote:Originally posted by peace

15AcreWoods,
Warmest of welcomes from Connecticut, hope you continue to enjoy the fellowship here, great people and great guns, I am wondering what county Poland,NY is in as I am originally from Westchester and lived for awhile in Columbia County. Nice bio you've got there, really enjoyed reading it. May God continue to bless you and yours, and again welcome,
peace

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
I went to college just about 45 miles south of there in Hamilton, NY. It is beautiful country up there. Great riding and hunting and fishing memories from up there. When people think of NY they just think of the city. It would blow their minds just how many farmers and cowboys there are in Upstate NY. Great wine, sweet corn, apples, you name it. If the city didn't have such a significant effect on the laws of the rest of the state NY would be perfect.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
quote:Originally posted by peace

I went to college just about 45 miles south of there in Hamilton, NY. It is beautiful country up there. Great riding and hunting and fishing memories from up there. When people think of NY they just think of the city. It would blow their minds just how many farmers and cowboys there are in Upstate NY. Great wine, sweet corn, apples, you name it. If the city didn't have such a significant effect on the laws of the rest of the state NY would be perfect.
I have been to Hamilton several times. On my grandfather's dairy there were 1800+ maple trees, made 500 to 1000 gallons of maple syrup every spring. Also an apple orchard and wild blackberries ads big as your thumb.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.