Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are any of you aware of any "issues" inherent to the RSI or "International" models? That is, are there any negatives with this configuration that affect accuracy, durability or general function? If so, are the negatives hard to live with? I've wanted a RSI model for a plinker since I got interested in the #1, but I've never gotten close enough to one to make a decision. Any guidance is appreciated. ---- DD :)

·
Registered
256 Posts
My only extensive experience is with my 7x57 RSI that I've had for years (decades really), and for a while it had the honor of holding the group size record of all my Number Ones. Like any other No. 1, load development is your key to good, consistent accuracy/precision.

If they made them in smaller cartridges like 22 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222, 223, etc., I'd no doubt have a "few" more of them.

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
I have owned wood tot he muzzle rifles from several makers and in general they are a bit more suceptible to heating up than conventional ones but I love the way they look.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
As above, mannlicher stocked rifles heat up fast when shooting, compared to conventionally stocked guns at the range and that can open up groups size and cause shifts in the POI. In my experience, they can be every bit as accurate, though you must take it slow when shooting for groups, keeping that barrel at a reasonable temp. Remember, this design was never intended for range use. They are hunting guns by pedigree.

Full stock guns are typically a bit more sensitive to changes in climate and weather. That may or may not be a factor for your use.

The beauty of a full stock gun is the not just looks, by the way. They have a distinct feel and balance all their own that we FS owners love. I have a very hard time passing up any such gun and that would include the Ruger.

Here's a few of our CZs. Top to bottom, CZ 452FS in 22 LR, CZ 455 FS in 22 mag, CZ 527 FS in 223.

My fav, the CZ 550 FS in 6.5 Swede

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Those are beauties Ncg! If you look a photos of Bill Ruger's personal gun collection you see a lot of fine fully stocked rifles. I believe he was a fan and the reason Ruger has offered so many over the years in No.1s, M77 and 10/22 platforms. I think they're beautiful. I might own a few except I hate the thought of taking such a beauty out in the field.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Thanks, Wave. To pick one up and shoulder it and not want to take it into the field is almost impossible, though.

Many years, ago, I ran into a No. 1 International in 243. I honestly could not put the gun down and nearly cried when we just had to pass on it for lack of money. Truly one of the most beautiful guns I've ever held in my hands. Have never forgotten the experience and, sadly, have never seen another one come up for sale at the right time. I really do need to take the plunge into the No 1 addiction before I go to that big shooting range in the sky.

·
Registered
673 Posts
The full length stock on any rifle will adversely affect accuracy but not so much as you would be likely to notice, so who cares except for competition benchrest shooters. Also, any rifle with a two piece stock has a built in handicap, as a one piece stock is inherently more stable. So, all Ruger No. 1s have that handicap. Again who cares. In real world (off the bench) shooting, your body movement while holding up a rifle, will generate more inaccuracy than a full length stock or a two piece stock ever will.

If you want to win competitions, there is no Ruger, CZ or many other brand of fine rifle suitable for that purpose. If you want to hunt, plink or just enjoy a beautiful rifle, a full length stock or a two piece stock will do just fine.

If I could have bought my left handed Ruger M 77 Hawkeye (204 Ruger) with a full length stock I would have done so, with no hesitation.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The "negatives" in relationship to the Ruger RSI 30-06 are more in regard to the blast, noise and recoil when fired at targets, and the fact that its just a bit heavy for its size, but not the accuracy. Who notices those first three "negatives" when actually shooting game? Nobody.

But the weight is a problem to me. I have hunted with original Mannlicher-Schoenauers in 6.5x54 and those little carbines (but not the rifles) just jump into your hands and are instantly on target. The Ruger feels like a log by comparison.

How accurate does a hunting rifle need to be?

My semi-custom Sako 85 fullstock in 6.5x55 Swedish with a 4X Swarovski scope will easily shoot groups under 3/4 inch with discount brand (cheap) factory ammo or using my very basic untailored handloads.

The Ruger won't do that, but it is more than accurate enough for medium or big game hunting. I just wish it could lose a pound.

·
Banned
1,136 Posts
Wasn't the original purpose of the full stocked rifle in Europe to allow the rifle to be used as a walking stick when hunting? I think I read that some where.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
None of the deer I kilt with my M77RSI 308 seemed to have issues with anything...they'll shoot minute of ciritter....I love Mannlicher stokcs..

·
Registered
188 Posts
My Ruger No.1 International 30-06 groups just fine with $20 a box ammo.
Yes,just this past week I was reflecting on how heavy the rifle is.......

I had a Ruger No.3,the forearm was wide,'chunky'.

And recently got a 10/22 International-what a difference compared to the standard 10/22 carbine stock.

·
Registered
224 Posts
The barrels are more slender in profile, and get hot fast in range sessions. But I love the look and feel. My RSI collection includes a 10/22 , 2 mod 77's in .30-06 and .243, and a No 1 RSI in 7x57 mauser. They are certainly worth having !

·
Registered
14 Posts
There are no inherent problems.... IME the RSI's are every bit as accurate as the A & S models... and a nicer carry. I have owned more than 50 No.1's and a couple dozen have been RSI's.

·
Registered
378 Posts
IMLE, although my RSI in .30-06 is plenty accurate, it's the only one of my #1s that I can't rely on to hold it's zero. I find it's more sensitive to changes in weather temp and humidity.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Some very nice full stocked rifles puctured above!

I have two factory RSI Rugers and am drooling for more now!

I did build a customized LH Model 77 in 376 Steyr with a pepper laminated full length stock that is a joy to shoot, and have harvested an elk and a bison with it to date. Want to put a matching nutmeg laminated stock on my customized LH Model 77 in 416 Taylor, and on my customized LH Model 77 in 9.3x62 when it is finished being rebarrelled.

I talked to Lipsey's earlier this year while researching their stainless Model 77 RSI's, and asked if they would ever build this rifle in 338 Federal or 358 Win. Their answer was No, they could go no larger than 30 caliber as the barrels would be too large for the full length stock.

Just going to have to keep building my own customized rifles to get the calibers and cartridges I desire! A 221 Fireball would be great too!

·
Registered
263 Posts
To OP: Have 2 No. 1 Internationals now and trolling the auction sites for another in 30-06 and/or .243. I steered away from the M77 RSIs with 18.5" barrels as I think anything less than No. 1 with 20" barrel and I lose more velocity than I want to surrender. When researching on my first International I came across these posts on other forums which may help you decide.

Ruger no.1- are they worth it? - Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

RugerForum.com ? View topic - Any major differences in red pad rifles vs black pad

Short answer. Go for it but look out for serial numbers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts