Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ruger would come out with a GSR in .223. I have emailed and sent letters to the CEO, but am ready to buy this rifle in the next few weeks.

I am sure that I will get the Savage and then Ruger will make the announcement.

Still hopeful.

·
Banned
4,779 Posts
Ruger would come out with a GSR in .223. I have emailed and sent letters to the CEO, but am ready to buy this rifle in the next few weeks.

I am sure that I will get the Savage and then Ruger will make the announcement.

Still hopeful.
The GSR in .223 would be a great idea ....i would definitely own one.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I've heard several others wanting a GSR in .223 as well, but I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Savage.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I E-mailed the CEO a while ago to see if the American Rifle would be in .223 anytime soon or was even in the works. He assured me it was something they were going to do eventually, but not anytime within the next year (This was from about 3 months ago.... so its closer now? haha)

I hear the Savage Axis is one heck of a rifle in .223. I have shot it in 30-06 and loved it.

·
Banned
4,779 Posts
I love my Browning X-Bolts i have a wood /blue one in .223 and a stainless/syn rubber in 7mm08.....they are both tack drivers,especially the .223,they are lovely rifles bedded /floated from factory short throw bolt and a really solid mount system....but i would still buy a .223 GSR ....if they made one.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Good luck with your purchase, show us some pics when you get it & Greetings & Welcome from the Outer Banks of North Carolina, "The Tar Heel State"

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
I'm not sure that the 223 is the best caliber for hog hunting. Maybe if they are all pretty small and you are a super-near-perfect sharpshooter and can hit the ear hole from any angle.

My litmus test for hunting game is usually the 30-30 as it represents what is generally considered a workable caliber for game this size. The 223 doesn't even come close.

caliber ~ energy ~ momentum ~ hornady HITS rating
223 ~ 1296 ~ 27.6 ~ 356 (good for small game up to 50 pounds)
30-30 ~ 1665 ~ 51.0 ~ 870 (good for medium game up to 300 pounds)

We all know what they say about opinions and I'm sure mine stinks, too, but I just don't see the .223 as a general purpose hog gun. Maybe a special purpose, but for the most part, it's underpowered. Maybe a 22-250 or a 22 Swift.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I should have clarified: I am wanting to buy a bolt action .223 with iron sights. I would not use it for hunting pigs, although I have killed quite a few with the .223. I have looked at the CZ, but it just doesn't do it for me. I really love my GSR in .308 and would love to have a companion in .223. I guess that leaves the Savage as my next best choice.

I don't have much experience with Savage rifles, so it could be nice to shoot one first hand.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.