Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

Viceroy 馃煩馃煩馃煩
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My youngest kid has saved up his money for a Wrangler. It'll technically be mine until he's old enough that I can give it to him as a gift, but state law allows for him to use it under my supervision and to prevent agricultural depredation. I suspect a lot of ground squirrels and rabbits will be shot with this. :)

He and I looked at the black, silver and bronze models in the gun shop, and agreed that the bronze front sight was easiest to see. At least with indoor lighting. They also have that one at a pretty good sale price.

Any last minutes advice or warnings?

Also, should I expect to have to file down the front sight like most fixed-sight, single action revolvers? I was able to "sight in" my Bearcat to hit perfectly with CCI Mini Mags, with some mild filing to raise the point of impact.

I've followed most of the Wrangler threads here and don't recall seeing any real "negative" trends with these guns.

Viceroy 馃煩馃煩馃煩
Discussion Starter #3
My only advice is to give it plenty of exercise! (y)
No worries about that. I've got a ton of .22 and that's a good thing to shoot right now. Also got several hundred .22 shorts which are a fun kid-plinking load in a SA revolver.

Registered
Do the poor mans trigger job, or the trigger spring bending Iowegan outlines in a thread, or spend $7.49 for a Wolff spring, it really will make a difference. POI changes a lot with adjusting the way you grip the pistol, I would not file any metal until at least 1,000 rounds, just my 2 cents. Have fun, I hope you son knows he is a lucky guy:)

Viceroy 馃煩馃煩馃煩
Discussion Starter #10
Get 2 of them, one for your son and one for you!
Ha that鈥檚 funny, because when my older boy got his Mark III 鈥渟tandard鈥 pistol, I liked it so much I got one of my own.

I鈥檝e already got my Bearcat so I鈥檓 all good on single action .22s. Plus my eyes are getting to the point that I don鈥檛 care much for a fixed sight SA revolver.

Registered
I guess I鈥檒l be the one. I didn鈥檛 like the stiff loading gate, and I would rather have adjustable sights on any revolver, so I let mine go down the road. Good thing everybody wants one because I broke even on the sale. :)

Registered
Okay, so don鈥檛 everyone kill me on this, but I have two Wranglers in the silver finish. One shoots really well and the other isn鈥檛 that great. Where they hit is dependent on the ammo it鈥檚 fed. They are great for plinking steel and heavy use by new shooters. One has the problem with the transfer safety bar sticking into the firing pin.

If you are really going to use a pistol for 25 yard rabbit and squirrel shooting I would suggest looking at a Single Six with the adjustable sights. The 22 mag cylinder is also a plus.

I love my Wranglers, but the Single Six is really really nice for what you describe.

They seem to pop up hardly used on the used market pretty often.

Count Ursunk
The only gripe I have with the wrangler is my stubby fingers trying to feed the cylinder with the little room you have. Another minor detail is, that you need to teach him to rotate the cylinder a tad until it locks in, before cocking the hammer after reloading. Don't know why, but most of the time the hammer will seize up.

Registered
My Wrangler loading gate was a bit stiff when I bought it, but it loosened up as I shot it. Now it is just good and snug, I wouldn鈥檛 want it any looser. Accuracy is good enough for my needs, put some bright nail polish on front sight. That really made a difference for me. Also love shooting single action. Put wood grips on my black Wrangler and it looks classy to me! Very satisfied considering it was $180 + tax! I would buy another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
My youngest kid has saved up his money for a Wrangler. It'll technically be mine until he's old enough that I can give it to him as a gift, but state law allows for him to use it under my supervision and to prevent agricultural depredation. I suspect a lot of ground squirrels and rabbits will be shot with this. :)

He and I looked at the black, silver and bronze models in the gun shop, and agreed that the bronze front sight was easiest to see. At least with indoor lighting. They also have that one at a pretty good sale price.

Any last minutes advice or warnings?

Also, should I expect to have to file down the front sight like most fixed-sight, single action revolvers? I was able to "sight in" my Bearcat to hit perfectly with CCI Mini Mags, with some mild filing to raise the point of impact.

I've followed most of the Wrangler threads here and don't recall seeing any real "negative" trends with these guns.
Buy two! Super fun plinker and the loading gate loosened up after a few dozen reloads. Eats everything but the POI does vary slightly with different brands. Even ran some rat shot rounds through it at some balloons for fun. The closest thing to a complaint I have is the finish gets dirty very quickly at the range with bulk rounds. Put a light coat of clp along the area around the gap between the cylinder and the barrel before you go shooting and it鈥檒l wipe clean much easier after a day of plinking.

Registered
Dang! A couple of years ago I had a chance to buy a new one for $85 at a hardware store way out in the Virginia mountains!
Of course, I didn't get it, as I never heard of Wrangler, and I thought how good could it be for $85???
Since then, I've heard nothing but good things about it - so if you happen across a guy who seems to be kicking himself in the a** as he's walking down the street, that would be me.

Registered
Being as it鈥檚 for your son you may want to keep the thin plastic grip panels for now, unless he has big hands. I registered mine on the Ruger site & got the 20% off code, got a set of black laminate grips & a holster for mine. Other than that keep checking the tightness of all the screws. My ejector rod assembly flew off one day, luckily my buddy found the screw. I put loctite on that particular screw. Wrote a thread on here about it & was told that happens with most single action pistols; screws loosening not necessarily ejector rod assembly鈥檚 flying off. I had trouble picking up my front sight at first but it鈥檚 slightly ramped at the top which picks up enough light for me to see it, I have a bronze Wrangler by the way. Was going to try to paint the front sight but just got used to the way it is after shooting several hundred rds at a time through it. Haven鈥檛 kept up with my total rd count but I鈥檓 guessing I have nearly a 1000 rds through it now. It鈥檚 a fun little revolver to shoot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 30 Posts