Ruger Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Do the poor mans trigger job, or the trigger spring bending Iowegan outlines in a thread, or spend $7.49 for a Wolff spring, it really will make a difference. POI changes a lot with adjusting the way you grip the pistol, I would not file any metal until at least 1,000 rounds, just my 2 cents. Have fun, I hope you son knows he is a lucky guy:)
I tried the "Poor man's trigger job" on my Single Six..not satisfactory results. Wolff trigger springs area a goodness!:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got one for Father's Day. Put a box of 50 through it already. It's already one of my favorite guns. It takes you back to how fun shooting was as a kid. Mine is in OD green. Also the other guys are right about the loading gate, mines already to the point where I don't notice it anymore.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
744 Posts
Save a bit more money and buy a Single Six .
Yeah, I got my first single six in 1996, it would be the last one of many to go. I don’t know your financial situation, but is it realistic to match his investment and get him something that would last his lifetime. He will have a special bond with whatever his first gun is. I have some old alloy and zinc guns, they don’t age well all the time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My youngest kid has saved up his money for a Wrangler. It'll technically be mine until he's old enough that I can give it to him as a gift, but state law allows for him to use it under my supervision and to prevent agricultural depredation. I suspect a lot of ground squirrels and rabbits will be shot with this. :)

He and I looked at the black, silver and bronze models in the gun shop, and agreed that the bronze front sight was easiest to see. At least with indoor lighting. They also have that one at a pretty good sale price.

Any last minutes advice or warnings?

Also, should I expect to have to file down the front sight like most fixed-sight, single action revolvers? I was able to "sight in" my Bearcat to hit perfectly with CCI Mini Mags, with some mild filing to raise the point of impact.

I've followed most of the Wrangler threads here and don't recall seeing any real "negative" trends with these guns.
I have a Wrangler and I must say that it is very important to use good ammo. The clearance between the back of the cylinder and the frame is very tight and ammo with thicker than usual bases will not load and rotate properly. A potential safety issue.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Okay, so don’t everyone kill me on this, but I have two Wranglers in the silver finish. One shoots really well and the other isn’t that great. Where they hit is dependent on the ammo it’s fed. They are great for plinking steel and heavy use by new shooters. One has the problem with the transfer safety bar sticking into the firing pin.

If you are really going to use a pistol for 25 yard rabbit and squirrel shooting I would suggest looking at a Single Six with the adjustable sights. The 22 mag cylinder is also a plus.

I love my Wranglers, but the Single Six is really really nice for what you describe.

They seem to pop up hardly used on the used market pretty often.
I had a single six stainless that I let go super cheap. Wish I hadn’t done that! Had original box from 1976 and mag cylinder with small red cloth bag.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have a Wrangler and I must say that it is very important to use good ammo. The clearance between the back of the cylinder and the frame is very tight and ammo with thicker than usual bases will not load and rotate properly. A potential safety issue.
A good cleaning of the cylinder will solve that, it seems to happen more with bulk ammo than anything else

·
Registered
17 Posts
buy two save some gas driving back for the second one. use good ammo! 8 cents and above I bought thunderbolt .03 each just shot it to get rid of it.

·
Ruger Aficionado
1,101 Posts
Did you get it? What do you think?

I have noted that some of them will rub the cylinder on the back of the frame and the loading gate can be stiff. I think this is due to the "thickness" of the spray on finish. It does wear and smooth out, but I would look it over good before buying and ask to look at a couple to see which one is smoother.

Shop around. I have seen them form 169.00 to 249.00. 199.00 seems to be easily achievable. All in all, a great bargain. I really like mine.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Federal Automatch needed a little extra encouragement to fully seat, but otherwise ran fine. Aguila Superextra fed better (copper plated may make it easier)

21 - 30 of 30 Posts