Ruger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here but I've been lurking for a while. I had an interesting occurrence this weekend which was totally my fault but it could happen to others (or already has, so forgive me if I'm being repetitive). I took my 22/45 to the farm this past weekend. We loaded it up and then could not get the bolt to pull back. It was frozen solid. Rather than mess with it out in the dust and wind we played with my 9mm. At my in-laws I eventually ended up field stripping it (without any instructions and trying to remember what I had read here etc.) Anyway got the bolt out (but did not remove the barrel from the grip). I found a dab of some strange dried milky like substance on the bolt and in the bolt housing end of the barrel. It was clearly what was preventing the bolt from moving. I was able to clean it off and reassembled the gun. When done the bolt now only came half way back. I disassembled and reassembly the gun at least three times looking for more dried white stuff. I finally quit in frustration.

This morning I pulled it apart once again. Through brilliant deduction (usually not one of my better traits) I determined that maybe the bolt spring could be the culprit. Sure enough, I found the spring was only compressing half way. I cleaned the spring and the rod surface within the spring. Two coils were more or less glued to the rod preventing full compression. I began looking in the bolt housing and found a small hole in the top of it. This hole turns out to be the rear most accessory rail mounting hole. Then it dawned on me what I had did. I had placed a "very" small drop of blue loctite on the screw that holds the rail to the receiver. This hole is positioned directly over the bolt spring. Some excess loctite had to have dripped onto the spring and then onto the bolt housing. It had to have been a very minute amount but it was more than enough to lock everything up good and tight.

Moral to story, be very cautious when mounting the accessory rail if using any thread locker especially on the rear most screw hole (front two holts naturally do not go through what would be the chamber. Why Ruger had to drill the rear one through is unclear to me.

The good side is that I very good at field stripping and reassembling the gun having done it at least three time more today (complete with barrel removal this time). Of all the you-tube videos and written stripping procedures on the net, I found the good ol Ruger Corp. field stripping video to be the best for the 22/45.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Welcome to the forum from West Virginia and thanks for the reminder that less is better when it comes to thread locker (usually blue loctite) on the rear rail screw. My MKIII Target model happened to have the rail off and I took a quick look see and that spring is not very far away from even the top of the screw hole. Hopefully, your post will save someone the same problem.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Las Vegas
I'm sure your'er not the only one whose done that. I just mounted a rail on one of my marks just this weed end. But I removed the bolt just for that reason. Hang around lot of great people here and much to be learned.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts